Save The Cellar

makv

For those of you who ever go to see live music in Oxford, you’ll know how important The Cellar has been (in various guises) and continues to be.

It is now under threat (again) and basically needs to raise £80,000 to put in a new fire exit after the current one was deemed to be too small, thus reducing the capacity to an non-viable 60 people.

There’s a crowd-funding project trying to raise the money by November 28th and if this doesn’t happen, the last remaining independent venue in Oxford will cease to be in December.

I know we’ve all got multiple pressures on our hard earned-cash, but if you can see your way to pop them a few bob you’ll be doing the Oxford music scene - present and future - a great service.

If the target isn’t reached, you don’t lose anything.

Details here:

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/cellar-forever

Currently standing at £19,150…

Cellar Forever!

Anyone who does, or has in the past, enjoyed live music, especially that of up and coming local, national and international bands will realise just how important this campaign is

a very worthy cause and well worth supporting IMO

As it was the council who (finally) noticed the fire exit was very marginally under the required width, it would be good if the council could, in someway, either directly or indirectly , 'help' in the raising of the required £80k too

Anyone who does, or has in the past, enjoyed live music, especially that of up and coming local, national and international bands will realise just how important this campaign is

a very worthy cause and well worth supporting IMO

As it was the council who (finally) noticed the fire exit was very marginally under the required width, it would be good if the council could, in someway, either directly or indirectly , 'help' in the raising of the required £80k too

Yeah, right!

Funny, cos it still says £19,150 [emoji6]

put my contri' somewhere in that figure a while ago now :cool:
mate of mineis in a band (Fracture) that played there last sat evening (following 125th anniversary match)

Last edited:
I see Phil Selway has “donated” a snare drum that you can snap up for a measly £5k. Cheeky fucker could probably pay the whole £80k with spare change down the back of his sofa.

#stumpupphil

Currently standing at £52,365 (a jump of over £7k since yesterday), but only 7 days remaining. Time really is running out.

Please share the crowdfunding page on your social media (especially if you have rich, music-loving Oxford friends!).

Last edited:
Why the 7 day deadline? Any idea?
Have the drums and various celebrity items been sold already?

Why the 7 day deadline? Any idea?
Have the drums and various celebrity items been sold already?

I guess the deadline is simply to do with getting the work done so that they can get capacity up and not go bankrupt! I don’t know why they couldn’t have started sooner though. Pretty sure they would have reached the target then.

They dropped they idea of trying to get £5,000 for the drums and instead offered unlimited people £20 to go into a raffle for it.

437c9ff30eb371d94ac6f8c9d4f2646a.jpg

Woah. A huge jump of £10k in the last 12 hours. People are contributing every 1 or 2 minutes. There still must have been some hefty sums in there though! This is actually looking game on now!

EDIT: yup - found it. £5,000 from www.wegottickets.com. Props.

Last edited:
On the subject of Oxford live venues.... due to noise complaints, the Wheatsheaf have had all manner of restriction imposed on their live gigs, including an earlier curfew time, and gig goers n pub users alike are now no longer allowed to take their drinks into the alley outside!

nobody seems to have informed Oxford City Council about this? ....https://www.local.gov.uk/about/news/councils-win-backing-help-protect-live-music-venues

or Oxford city has declared itself a republic & this LAW doesnt apply 'here'?

two thoughts 1) if you move in next door to a farm dont complain about the rooster!

2) IF Oxford city council put as much effort into dealing with a certain slum landlord as they do playing fun police
and doing their utmost to decimate Oxfords live music infrastructure, a certain grade 11 listed building, owned by Oxford
City Council, and leased by a tax exile, may not be in the disgraceful state of disrepair it current is in.

I think with crowdfunder as well you have to put a deadline to raise the money, and the funders only pay up if target is met.
It wouldn't surprise me if the landlord pulls some stunt like putting the rent up after the tenant has improved the property.

In Guildford we've got a similar issue in that there is a back room venue at a pub called the Star. This previously only backed onto commercial premises on a historic street, but a developer converted a building into flats, and then filed for noise abatement.

I think with crowdfunder as well you have to put a deadline to raise the money, and the funders only pay up if target is met.
It wouldn't surprise me if the landlord pulls some stunt like putting the rent up after the tenant has improved the property.

In Guildford we've got a similar issue in that there is a back room venue at a pub called the Star. This previously only backed onto commercial premises on a historic street, but a developer converted a building into flats, and then filed for noise abatement.

Yes indeed. If (if!) they don’t reach the target, people get their money back. It goes to crowdfunder initially.

Update: under £10k to go!

Last edited:
437c9ff30eb371d94ac6f8c9d4f2646a.jpg

Woah. A huge jump of £10k in the last 12 hours. People are contributing every 1 or 2 minutes. There still must have been some hefty sums in there though! This is actually looking game on now!

EDIT: yup - found it. £5,000 from www.wegottickets.com. Props.

Aha. I’m guessing that this is where the £5,000 came from. “The Cellar, sponsored by WeGotTickets” [emoji6]

3e81e9dc49c4fba36ed46fce9227e9fe.jpg

Good friend of mine (Shep) is involved in promoting the fundraiser alldayer/ all eveninger at the Star Guilford area this Saturday
which as well as being a fundraiser could be the last live gig there!

On the subject of Oxford live venues.... due to noise complaints, the Wheatsheaf have had all manner of restriction imposed on their live gigs, including an earlier curfew time, and gig goers n pub users alike are now no longer allowed to take their drinks into the alley outside!

nobody seems to have informed Oxford City Council about this? ....https://www.local.gov.uk/about/news/councils-win-backing-help-protect-live-music-venues

or Oxford city has declared itself a republic & this LAW doesnt apply 'here'?

two thoughts 1) if you move in next door to a farm dont complain about the rooster!

2) IF Oxford city council put as much effort into dealing with a certain slum landlord as they do playing fun police
and doing their utmost to decimate Oxfords live music infrastructure, a certain grade 11 listed building, owned by Oxford
City Council, and leased by a tax exile, may not be in the disgraceful state of disrepair it current is in.
I think the issue with the Cellar is the fire exit, rather than noise. Whereas with the Star, the developer got his plans approved before the 'agent of change' rules came in (if they have yet).

Back
Top Bottom