Saturdays game

As well as all that if the temperatures and wind chill are the same as they've been for the last couple of days I can imagine there would be a real risk of hypothermia for some fans and less active players and officials (imagine being a lino or goalie in these conditions)

Bloody hell on that basis even our players on the pitch would have got severe frost bite! Really glad it's been called off as I heard that Tiendalli was due to make his comeback, he'd have been a frozen corpse at the end of the match. Ah, then again...

Last edited:
I blame Tiger, 3 days he's had to sort the under soil heating out, he's been hovering around the club for the last 7 months (according to chas) he should of sorted it by now instead of popping over to Thailand on his hols...

He lives in Thailand. Doubt he's that clued up about undersoil heating. Can't see him returning until this arctic weather has gone.

Only 3 Saturday games left in both league one and two, just one left in the Conference with a couple even off in the championship. More will be cancelled yet.

Wonder how the prem get away with rarely cancelling fixtures, aside from the actual pitches do they not have safety concerns about large crowds in bad conditions?

Only 3 Saturday games left in both league one and two, just one left in the Conference with a couple even off in the championship. More will be cancelled yet.

Wonder how the prem get away with rarely cancelling fixtures, aside from the actual pitches do they not have safety concerns about large crowds in bad conditions?

Probably something to do with fans not mattering one bit to Sky etc.

I've always found it funny how so many games that are meant to be televised end up being played...

Didn’t they do a film about that starring Daniel Day Lewis? Won an Oscar too.

You can have all the underpitch heating you need but spectator safety is given a lot more consideration than it was back in the 70s.

Who remembers just the lines being cleared and an orange ball being used (that's not a Phil Brown reference by the way). We'd slip and slide our way to the Manor not giving a toss whether the terrace was icy.

We were tough and hard in those days. Now, where did I put my cocoa?

You can have all the underpitch heating you need but spectator safety is given a lot more consideration than it was back in the 70s.

Who remembers just the lines being cleared and an orange ball being used (that's not a Phil Brown reference by the way). We'd slip and slide our way to the Manor not giving a toss whether the terrace was icy.

Tap into Headington United v Bolton Wanderers FA Cup 1954 Pathe News U tube. No pitch inspections in those days. I remember it well.

London Road end soon thawed out...even if it was icy , though dont think I can recall ice on either the left or right sideo_O

Straw on the pitch, a meter or so of foam covering (supplied by fire brigade) with snow forecast - in the pre pitch covers era, heavy snow with a call out to fans to help clear it off the Manor pitch..... ankle deep snow ON the pitch blue lines marking the pitch out and , as @outsidethebox recalls the bright orange football , yep remember them all

Of course, open terracing back then may have had a cursory sweep, if it was lucky

the (good) old days when Saturday afternoons , for 9 months of the year, irrespective of almost every weather condition, were for football!

Yep, those WERE the days;)

Bad set of results for us today. How the f**k did Oldham get a result at Scunny?

5 points off the relegation zone after Oldhams win, getting a new manager in needs to be a top priority, there is no need to pretend to be interviewing like Eales/Lenagan have in the past while selling the club, it can be done in a few days if the will is there.

“Sleepwalking” towards the bottom four.
Wimbledon is a must win.
A “six pointer”

Back
Top Bottom