Ex Player Sam Winnall

£4k? More then that i bet. At least double
I don’t have any inside info, but I’d be amazed if with a salary cap coming into play we’d be spending £8k a week on a striker who will rotate with another striker at best. £4K I could believe.

I don’t have any inside info, but I’d be amazed if with a salary cap coming into play we’d be spending £8k a week on a striker who will rotate with another striker at best. £4K I could believe.
I do and we're not - it's fake news :), you're closer but still too high by some margin.

He’s been injured for most of the last two years and was a free agent in the middle of a pandemic, when most clubs in L1 and L2 could barely afford to keep what they had let alone spend more. Plus the cap on players over 21, which squeezed existing squad numbers for good measure. He will be on nowhere near what people think. 3k a week max, but even that would feel slightly steep.

We couldn’t pay a right back from Scotland enough money to sign - a statement of fact, not a criticism - and yet we’re splashing a minimum of 4k a week on a free agent, who is pushing 30 and has fitness issues?

Come on.

Try to put football wages in perspective, if Winnall is on the quoted wages, try comparing it to your own workplace and see how stupid it has become, I have been watching the series about surgeons who perform some amazing life saving and live altering work who earn a quarter of the salary .its all mad to me the salary cap should have been a wage cap

Surgeons don’t have 8,000 people willing to pay £20 a head to watch them work every week. It’s like saying you can’t believe what film stars or musicians are paid - it’s decided by the demand. The reason table tennis players aren’t paid as much as surgeons isn’t because they’re all noble and realise that they don’t deserve it, or because the ping pong governing body has put in a wage cap, it’s because people won’t pay to watch it.

Our top earner(s) and its obvious who they are, are on between 3.5 and 4K a week...

Our top earner(s) and its obvious who they are, are on between 3.5 and 4K a week...

Yes players provide a service, and get paid accordingly but the level of pay has become obscene. As much as I admire Marcus Rashford and all he is doing to raise awareness of free school meals, he is part of the industry that is giving Gareth Bale £600k a week!
If it doesn’t go to them it either goes to the owners, the people who run the leagues, or someone else equally as reprehensible, obviously there is no need for wages to be as high as they are but with the obscene money in football I’d rather it end up with the players than anyone else

Yes players provide a service, and get paid accordingly but the level of pay has become obscene. As much as I admire Marcus Rashford and all he is doing to raise awareness of free school meals, he is part of the industry that is giving Gareth Bale £600k a week!

Not really his fault what a Spanish team historically part-funded by their Government pay Gareth Bale! Also at least he is using his profile to raise awareness to a cause which is both overall along admirable lines, and positive

• React
Reactions: MJB
If it doesn’t go to them it either goes to the owners, the people who run the leagues, or someone else equally as reprehensible, obviously there is no need for wages to be as high as they are but with the obscene money in football I’d rather it end up with the players than anyone else
Yes, they just get their share of all the money that swills around in the game these days. There used to be a wage cap till the sixties, and club shareholders became rich while players cycled to work and had second jobs.

I’d be very surprised if we had one player on as much as £4K a week. Touching 3k maybe but not 4. The majority of our top earners you allude to will be on around £130,000 a year. Maybe Henry, Taylor, Winnall might be £150-160,000.

Never forget we had some god awful players in the conference on £100k a year.

Henry is ≈£4k and I would imagine Taylor too. Winnall won't be anywhere near that.

Back
Top Bottom