Current Player #2 Sam Long

Was already contracted to June 22 so wonder if that's an additional 3 years on top of that one or a better deal from now replacing the one with a year left to run.

Another 3 year deal , good amount of time that surely shows investment and some longer term planning is in place now ?

He’s having a good season and we missed him When injured, had my concerns he would struggle when players have been brought in to play at RB and wasn’t KR first choice but one potential player of the season now.

Was already contracted to June 22 so wonder if that's an additional 3 years on top of that one or a better deal from now replacing the one with a year left to run.
From OM in 2020: "Already the club's longest-serving player having joined the club as an 8-year-old, in June 2020 he signed a 2-year extension with Oxford United which will bring him to 19 years at the club."

Now Robbo says "Sam has been outstanding and by the end of his new deal will have been here 21 years: that’s a double testimonial!"

So deal till 2024 as I understand it.

POTS this year and well deserved.

I’m with @RyanioBirdio and his repeated observations that we need more than Long and Ruffels at LB and RB next year rather than the ‘you’ll do’ approach we’ve taken this year. That’s not a criticism of either - just logical sense that you should have more than one option for each position. Chuck another proper RB into the mix (who isn’t Clare, Forde or Hanson) and we’ll see what else Long can do with some proper competition.

I think in one of his early appearances at home to Southend he scored a banging header. ( under Appleton I think) Congratulation Sam, well deserved.

He’s having a good season and we missed him When injured, had my concerns he would struggle when players have been brought in to play at RB and wasn’t KR first choice but one potential player of the season now.
He has developed significantly under KR in my view.
Previously he was a bit of a utility player ( he still has the ability to be), but his attacking play as a right back has improved massively.
I would think that rather than a back up to Cadden / Clare, he should rightly now be seen as a number 1 right back.
Well done Sam

On his day he's one of the best RBs in the league, if not the best. Even off his day he'll give you a 7/10 performance. A really good job to tie him down because I'm sure there will be some vultures sniffing around him in the summer. A real role model for our youngsters too. Brilliant news.

Fantastic that SL has signed a new deal. He plays with dedication and commitment and in the last year or so has really added quality to that heart and effort. We need more full backs for the same reason that we don’t just have one centre forward or only two wingers at the entire club - you need cover as well as competition - but anybody coming in will need to wrestle the shirt off him. He should be right up there for POTY next month.

Ruffels will be interesting. Multiple clubs are in for him including real interest from one in the Championship, apparently.

Great news for both the club and Sam, he's improved no end and you can't say his performances don't justify his starting place.

Ruffels will be interesting. Multiple clubs are in for him including real interest from one in the Championship, apparently.
Baffles me that any Championship clubs would want him to be honest

Back
Top Bottom