Current Player Sam Long

I thought he was way better today. More so in hugging the touchline and the one twos and touches . Distribution , which needed to be way better, was way better.

Not sure I agree on the crossing. His cross that created the goal, in my opinion , was actually a poor one, but by a mix of circumstance ended up getting us the goal. It wasn’t the only dodgy one.

But overall a very good game. If he can do that every week then that will be very good news.

Long was pretty good but he’s no Cadden. Checks back inside way too often, he checks inside well to be fair but Dickie has to be on his toes with Long in the side because he’ll see a lot of the ball played back to him. He, Long, gets into great positions and you just want him to bomb on with conviction but he doesn’t have that confidence and courage in his game.

Long was pretty good but he’s no Cadden. Checks back inside way too often, he checks inside well to be fair but Dickie has to be on his toes with Long in the side because he’ll see a lot of the ball played back to him. He, Long, gets into great positions and you just want him to bomb on with conviction but he doesn’t have that confidence and courage in his game.
You weren’t there today then?

Long was a great outlet for Sykes and they seem to perform well together. Long has long (sorry) been a very under rated player, but he must be one of our most improved too.
Pushing for MOM on Saturday.

If you don’t think Long checks our forward momentum on too many occasions then you certainly weren’t there today.
I think that on a number of occasions Long checked back and played it to Dickie when Cadden would have looked to go forward and take on the full back.
Having said that, he had his usual solid game and is getting better.

I'd much rather Long in the team than Cadden. Much better defender and his getting forward and crossing much improved. Cadden very often used to disappoint with his final ball causing more problems to my car in the car park than the oppo defence.

I think that on a number of occasions Long checked back and played it to Dickie when Cadden would have looked to go forward and take on the full back.
Having said that, he had his usual solid game and is getting better.

Agree with that. Every once in a while he needs to take on the full back (assuming cover is there) as he makes their players 2nd guess what he is going to do. Sam Long has shown he is capable plenty of times before with the obvious example being Newcastle. It is clearly a mental thing for me, Long's 1st thought is secure the ball whereas Cadden's is to attack his opponent imo.

I'd say a similar thing for Nathan Holland in terms of making the opposition player work out what he is going to do. He seemed to always want to cut in onto his right foot, and I get that he is good at that, but the full back worked that out quite quickly as he didn't do anything else (certainly in the 1st half). He needs to mix in going down the outside occasionally to make the fullback be unsure what he is going to do. I reckon the coaching team will pick up on this as it will be one of the learning points for him.

I'd much rather Long in the team than Cadden. Much better defender and his getting forward and crossing much improved. Cadden very often used to disappoint with his final ball causing more problems to my car in the car park than the oppo defence.

Sam Long - 0 assists, 7 chances created in 11 games
Chris Cadden - 4 assists, 28 chances created in 20 games

Football fans...

Sam Long - 0 assists, 7 chances created in 11 games
Chris Cadden - 4 assists, 28 chances created in 20 games

Football fans...
Sam Long 2 goals
Chris Cadden nil

Plus Long crossed for Browne on Saturday and also had a cross turned in for an own goal in the FA Cup I think?

So in 11 games Long was directly/indirectly responsible for the same number of goals as Cadden in 20 games.

Football fans......!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom