Current Player Sam Long

Long along with Sykes were two of our better players today over the 90 minutes....both put in a shift, got stuck in when needed & both played well ....shame Long got booked late on, presumably for dissent?

Long was booked early in the first half.

Forget about today. We need another right back and that one should be better than Sam Long. It's quite obvious. Sam will play his part for sure, but we need a better option too is all I'm saying. Not a youth on loan. Experienced and previous success.

I'm not sure that forgetting about today is wise. The starting team was an error, at best. It needs no repeating that it was an craven setup.

Ruffles was not great, an aberration; but Long was ok. We have supercalagalious wingers and we need strong full backs to make them work, not prancing ninnies like Cadden.

I'm not sure that forgetting about today is wise. The starting team was an error, at best. It needs no repeating that it was an craven setup.

Ruffles was not great, an aberration; but Long was ok. We have supercalagalious wingers and we need strong full backs to make them work, not prancing ninnies like Cadden.
Regarding forget about today, I mean in the context of this thread and Sam longs ability. It doesnt matter if he was one of the better players in a poor performance today, I'm not looking for a scapegoat. To get promoted we need a better right back and a left back to pressure ruffles. Its simple.

Regarding forget about today, I mean in the context of this thread and Sam longs ability. It doesnt matter if he was one of the better players in a poor performance today, I'm not looking for a scapegoat. To get promoted we need a better right back and a left back to pressure ruffles. Its simple.
Nah we need a better left back, full stop.

Given a bottomless pot, perhaps.

Mr R needs to up his game. Simpler.

• React
Reactions: m
Long certainly wasn't our worst player today, but he really does lack quality on the ball. Not just with his crossing (Cadden wasn't much better) but his first - and often second - touch is so frequently a tackle, and he lacks composure. He's a great backup/squad player and seems like an excellent person to have around the team in terms of his work ethic, but he's not good enough as a first choice if we want to be targeting the automatics.

Absolutely agree. Every position in the team needs to have quality. KR sees Long currently as back up, as he is looking to bring in a first choice RB.

Regarding Ruffles I think the criticism has been harsh
He’s held the position for about 2 seasons now and like a lot of players prob needs a rest. There’s been no rotation afforded to him unlike a lot of other players. He made errors today but out of about 60 odd games barely without a break he’s been very solid.
He and the team definitely needs cover there and the club is working on bringing someone in.

Regarding Ruffles I think the criticism has been harsh
He’s held the position for about 2 seasons now and like a lot of players prob needs a rest. There’s been no rotation afforded to him unlike a lot of other players. He made errors today but out of about 60 odd games barely without a break he’s been very solid.
He and the team definitely needs cover there and the club is working on bringing someone in.

Hasn’t the criticism just been that he’s made errors or had a bad game? You’re saying there’s reasons for it, which is fine and I agree, but that doesn’t make the criticism harsh, just accurate but explainable.

Long certainly wasn’t to blame but Rotherham did highlight our weaknesses in those positions.

We rely on our LB/RB to feed our wingers...they are fed by our CBs. The onus is on Long/Ruffels to control and move the ball either behind the opposition or in to the feet of our wonders to create some 1v1. Yesterday, with the Rotherham pressure this was put under stress.

It wasn't the full backs what lost it.

Was the midfield and attack.

Midfield was well off it today Brannagan not fit & showed, Gorrins early booking ruined his game otherwise he takes the man out for the first goal, Baptiste wasn’t at the races wanted to much time on the ball forgetting an awareness that Rotherham players were on him soon as he got the ball

Defending was dreadful. Both goals came from goal kicks both times Dickie lost his man & Eastwood hesitated in goal, 3rd goal Moore should just clear it up field but did look possible offside when the cross came back in

for me Long & Sykes are the only 2 in the 11 who deserved a bit of credit the rest were rubbish imo (apart from the subs)

plus I blame KR for once yesterday, he was to worried about setting up a team all about them & not about us we play our normal game (like 2nd half) we win the game simple, start worrying about the opponent & we’ve caused ourselves major problems

Midfield was well off it today Brannagan not fit & showed, Gorrins early booking ruined his game otherwise he takes the man out for the first goal, Baptiste wasn’t at the races wanted to much time on the ball forgetting an awareness that Rotherham players were on him soon as he got the ball

Defending was dreadful. Both goals came from goal kicks both times Dickie lost his man & Eastwood hesitated in goal, 3rd goal Moore should just clear it up field but did look possible offside when the cross came back in

for me Long & Sykes are the only 2 in the 11 who deserved a bit of credit the rest were rubbish imo (apart from the subs)

plus I blame KR for once yesterday, he was to worried about setting up a team all about them & not about us we play our normal game (like 2nd half) we win the game simple, start worrying about the opponent & we’ve caused ourselves major problems

Tbf, a massive difference between 1st half and the 2nd half was the wind. It dictated the game and tactics. Rotherham utilised it superbly in the 1st half using it to allow them to push us back and press us high up the pitch as it was hard to get out. Then when we got out to attack they knocked it over the top to the wingers in the space behind. We were under constant pressure.

The 2nd half we had the advantage of the wind, hence Rotherham had to play on the break and sit deep trying to deny us that space behind. We were the clearly the better team in the 2nd half but that 3rd goal (poor defending by Moore when clearing the cross) made it too much.

I still stand by what I say, Sam Long is more than good enough for us. His crossing is great too. People always praise Ruffs and whilst yes he is solid most weeks defensively his forward play I dont think is all that great especially his deliveries. Just think Longy deserves more credit.

Back
Top Bottom