Salary cap confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is: are players currently under contract whose wage exceeds the league average, "grandfathered" in at the average to start with? So Taylor, Brannagan, etc would count as 1300/wk? If so, this would allow Oxford some room to maneuver and only those players signed today or later would have their salaries count in full. I thought I read this somewhere where existing contracts are capped at the average amount to start with and only movement after or contract renewals would then count in full. We would then have 1-2 years before the wage cap really restricts us.

Or needing to strengthen / prop up the PL brand with more clubs and a second league in case the Euro breakaway happens. If you’re going to lose half a dozen big players your best shot at trying to offset that damage is by bringing in 20+ in their place.

All brands and businesses want to expand - always. Why on earth would the PL go “Nah, we’re alright thanks” when they could have the first and fourth most watched leagues in the world under the same umbrella to create something so big and powerful it could never be overtaken? On what planet does that ever, ever get turned down?

The Championship and the PL finished their seasons in full while the rest of us just called it quits and did the playoffs. The Championship and the PL both get to put their B Teams into the competition intended solely for L1 and L2. The Championship still isn’t guaranteed to have a wage cap at all, and if it does it’s going to be so out of proportion to L1 (especially when you consider the difference between L1 and L2) that it isn’t even funny. It has already broken away in all but name. It operates differently to the rest of us and in doing so often mirrors and sides with the PL.

If it looks like a duck, if it swims like a duck and if it quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck. That’s all I’m saying.
Well maybe.
I am more naturally optimistic that promotion and relegation makes sport far more interesting for anybody watching on TV or live.
I still think that PL and a separate Championship brand are more likely.
Let's see...

How can it work out 1.5 to 2.5 for the leap from just out of non league to a club looking to get into the championship then a leap to 18 mil !! Surely around 4 mill would have been closer. Anyway the cap can only work if applies to all 4 leagues ...say 10 Million for champs and 20 for premier. ..of course that won't happen so just cutting adrift the bottom 2 divisions.

Where are the profits going though? If you can’t really reinvest them in the business? There’s only so much you can invest in youth and ‘community engagement’ as you suggested earlier. Success in football can only really be sustained if you can reinvest money into on-pitch quality.

On a new ground?
On transfer fees?
Or to pay of our huge debt?
Or into Tiger’s pocket.....??!?

Last edited:
I'm sure there won't be an Oxford weighting which puts us at a great disadvantage to clubs outside the South East when it comes to attracting players.

The wage cap is effective immediately. There will be an appeal I’m sure (probably by the PFA) but technically it’s locked in this very second. Which in theory means we (along with many other clubs and nearly all of the ones in L1) are now limited to either loans where the parent club is pretty much paying the whole lot, or players under the age of 21 as they don’t count towards the cap. This may explain why we are interested in the Irish lad O’Neill for example, as at age 20 he wouldn’t count towards the cap.

On paper the only way we can now sign a player over the age of 21 on a permanent contract is if our wage bill is under 2.5m per year, and I can’t see it with the players we have on the books. We must be very close. Even if Dickie is sold for several million pounds in the next few weeks, that seemingly won’t matter if we’re right at the threshold. We can’t reinvest that money or replace him if we’re already at or over budget.

Not sure an appeal will freeze any action - seemingly this went into effect the moment the votes were counted. Hopefully we’ve managed to work enough room that we still have a spot or two available, but it’s going to be tight.

The PFA have already put the paperwork in start the appeal process (ie. arbitration). The PFA seem to think this does pause any implementation of the rule change. Not sure a club will bank on that though.

If that’s correct that their income/revenue was 11.5 million and yet the wages were 19.4 million, then how come they weren’t pulled over the coals for breaching FFP rules.

Because the FFP rules are different in the Championship vs. League One/Two.

In League One/Two, your wage bill is not supposed to be more than 60% of your income.
In the Championship, the limit is simply that you're not supposed to lose more than 39 million quid over a three year period (which, frankly, is absurd).

To pick up on a specific point: clubs won't be able to hoard players if there's a limit to squad size.

IMO a lot depends on IF the Championship votes, and if so, which way.

It tends to be PL clubs who hoard players and this doesn't affect them.

Is their going to be a salary cap in the conference? Assuming that level of football survives and they don’t have one you could see players dropping down a level or two to earn more money, especially to clubs with money bags owners. Never be a better time to take your train set village football club into the football league.

Some clubs are arguing for it with a salary cap of £900k.

Because the FFP rules are different in the Championship vs. League One/Two.

In League One/Two, your wage bill is not supposed to be more than 60% of your income.
In the Championship, the limit is simply that you're not supposed to lose more than 39 million quid over a three year period (which, frankly, is absurd).
I thought the perm was a max 65% which left the EFL with a 60% FFP, I maybe wrong but that was my understanding and Bournemouth have certainly lost 39 million over three years

I thought the perm was a max 65% which left the EFL with a 60% FFP, I maybe wrong but that was my understanding and Bournemouth have certainly lost 39 million over three years

There is no FFP in the Premier League right now.

So in theory, clubs can lose as much as they want there. In practice, the TV deal is so much money at that level, that half the teams actually make a profit. Bournemouth, as you say, are one of the teams that have lost a bunch in the last few years. They're going to have some challenges back in the Championship, even with the parachute payments.

2.5 million on a 21 man squad is an average of 2300 p,er week Against a national average of 500 pounds.
Why clubs and not players pay the agents fee in transfers has always puzzled me as the agent is wolking to get the player not the club, the best deal.
in the long run if this helps to stop another Bury then I am all for it.

Strangely, the more I thought about this, the more I like it.

I'm quietly confident that we're building a squad capable of promotion, and hopefully we'll be all celebrating in May. And when we are we will be able to look back at not only the players who got us there, but the manager and coaching staff that got the best from them, the scouts and contacts we've developed to spot these players, Tiger and co. for investing in the training ground and youth set up that enables us to bring homegrown talent through, and everyone associated with the club for making this somewhere players want to come. And none of this will be because of money.

All of this will make it easier for us to compete without having to spend 10's of millions in the championship. And at the same time we hopefully become more sustainable, and it maybe frees our board up to invest in the new stadium we desperately want.

Win, win, win!!

(This post is brought to you by the annoyingly positive guy!!!)

Last edited:
Yeah funny.

But if a club wants to pay a player say £3k a week and the player is happy with this why should a third party be able to prevent it. Isn't it an unjust restriction of employment.
Because football is an industry where you can't make a profit, so you have to be completely suspicious of anyone committing substantial funds, because they have either found a loop-hole or are charlatans. The whole business-case/secured business loan thang is not possible.
Footbal

I have no evidence for this, but I have no doubt that it is statistically provable that investment in players is a terrible, terrible money sink.
Oxford are pleased to announce the arrival of three exciting new signings. Because of the new developments with the salary cap and limited squad numbers, our much lauded recruitment department have found a solution with the reintroduction of the ‘utility player’. Karl Robinson: These are three really exciting additions. They can all play in a least 6 different positions to a slightly more than average standard. Theyre all also excellent at sweeping the changing room floor and are first at the bar at the local in under a mind-boogling 10 minutes after the final whistle, ordering a round of double- diamond and putting the deposit down for the best darts (not the crap ones with the plastic flights..) See the full interviews at OUFC.com

View attachment 4250View attachment 4251View attachment 4252
That lot look they should pay for Barnet.

They aren’t going to redistribute existing wealth. They’re going to create more wealth by incorporating the Championship (which is already something like the fourth or fifth most watched league in the world) and expanding the Premier League brand further to create even more lucrative rights deals in even more markets, while also getting rid of the feeling of relegation that so many foreign investors find off putting versus things like North American sports. The Championship changing its name to PL2 will automatically double its commercial value and the interest in that division will go through the roof in Asia in particular, which due to countries like India and China continually expanding in population while raising living standards are not going to go down in value.

It’s the same reason any massive companies ever merge. You’re asking why somebody would share their pie when they’re actually baking a second one.

I'm not sure about this.

Burnley vs Crystal Palace is already tedious enough for the neutral. What chance of selling Luton vs Wycombe? Does Prem 2 really make Prem 1 more saleable?

Half the Prem teams make a profit, none in the championship do.

People are stupid and clubs are greedy, but there is a breaking point.

Last edited:
Is their going to be a salary cap in the conference? Assuming that level of football survives and they don’t have one you could see players dropping down a level or two to earn more money, especially to clubs with money bags owners. Never be a better time to take your train set village football club into the football league.

Ha!

I wonder if they considered clubs needing the average wage applied to their squads when being promoted from the National League!

Or needing to strengthen / prop up the PL brand with more clubs and a second league in case the Euro breakaway happens. If you’re going to lose half a dozen big players your best shot at trying to offset that damage is by bringing in 20+ in their place.

All brands and businesses want to expand - always. Why on earth would the PL go “Nah, we’re alright thanks” when they could have the first and fourth most watched leagues in the world under the same umbrella to create something so big and powerful it could never be overtaken? On what planet does that ever, ever get turned down?

The Championship and the PL finished their seasons in full while the rest of us just called it quits and did the playoffs. The Championship and the PL both get to put their B Teams into the competition intended solely for L1 and L2. The Championship still isn’t guaranteed to have a wage cap at all, and if it does it’s going to be so out of proportion to L1 (especially when you consider the difference between L1 and L2) that it isn’t even funny. It has already broken away in all but name. It operates differently to the rest of us and in doing so often mirrors and sides with the PL.

If it looks like a duck, if it swims like a duck and if it quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck. That’s all I’m saying.
Agreed,. It won't be long before they decide that they want to reduce the number of teams in the Championship (PL2) to 18, meaning no promotion from league 1 for x number of years. Probably increasing the number of games L1 & L2 have to play. Maybe the conference will become L3.

Agreed,. It won't be long before they decide that they want to reduce the number of teams in the Championship (PL2) to 18, meaning no promotion from league 1 for x number of years. Probably increasing the number of games L1 & L2 have to play. Maybe the conference will become L3.
Hey Jason,

Totally agreed and this is what I said at the start, but got shot down. At the start people were so use to the ways things were and didn't want to chat. We have seen how things HAVE to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom