Salary cap confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is irrelevant as Tesco's can set their own pay/limits so make adjustments if necessary . We are limited by the Cap so can't make an adjustment for living costs (ie. property costs).
I realize that, just wondering.

That is irrelevant as Tesco's can set their own pay/limits so make adjustments if necessary . We are limited by the Cap so can't make an adjustment for living costs (ie. property costs).
Charlton is the only club that may have house prices that are not generally cheaper.

Not sure that is true how would you have stopped some clubs getting players in while it is slowly eased in.

That happened anyway didn’t it? Also players are already in place who take clubs over the £2.5 million cap.

A rule bought in at a rush and panic is unlikely to be the best thought through.

It took the the football league longer to sort out how to finish last season than it has to be bring this in, not certain why one required patience and the other didn’t.

That happened anyway didn’t it? Also players are already in place who take clubs over the £2.5 million cap.

A rule bought in at a rush and panic is unlikely to be the best thought through.

It took the the football league longer to sort out how to finish last season than it has to be bring this in, not certain why one required patience and the other didn’t.
Most clubs obviously thought the wage cap was urgent, I think this was being discussed soon after shutdown.

If current contracts are treated as being a notional average figure, this will only really take effect in a couple of years when most current contracts have expired, by which time the cap will probably have been raised or revised.

They didn't need a cap in place to keep their wage bill below £2.5m. This is 100% about stopping their competitors spending.
That does look to be true, do you know how many clubs in div1 have been spending more than 2.5m?

Will the wage cap drive down wages across the board? Enabling the smaller clubs to save money but stay competitive?

I don’t know how the PFA claim will work. The EFL is a club you join and abide by the rules.

The PFA say they had to be consulted and they weren't (the mechanism, iirc, is explained briefly in the BBC article linked earlier). The PFA lawyers certainly think they have a case, could it be "restraint of trade" (pure guess)?

The PFA say they had to be consulted and they weren't (the mechanism, iirc, is explained briefly in the BBC article linked earlier). The PFA lawyers certainly think they have a case, could it be "restraint of trade" (pure guess)?
The PFA say it’s illegal but it will be interesting if it stands, would the EFL be able to check that clubs are abiding by the rules as the FFP is a joke.

If we are now the development leagues it is unreasonable to have clubs cover ANY wages of a loan player from the league above. Thats in any case the numbers fudge to make sure you come in under £2.625m? - or we might start to see more availability to buy fringe youngsters from PL (Lunny etc etc) on a FOC basis but with bigger sell on clauses and a challenge for clubs to develop player value. We are in a strong position if that happens. 2021 may also see L1/L2 teams always fielding the maximum number allowed of loan players playing on a FOC basis, with a few above average higher paid players to make up the numbers. Cheaper wage bills all around but whether they will wear our hearts on their sleeve is the worry....

Will the EPL have to go down the same route in a few years when the broadcasting rights go up for auction and they go for less money than currently?

The wage cap must have been voted by club Chairmen? I know we voted against it but It shows a general lack of ambition of Chairmen from lower league clubs - many realise they cannot afford the millions it costs to go up (maybe we are playing in a league full of clubs like that) - they came to play the 1/2 tables and now are unsure about the 10/20. They just want a sustainable business which can provide second rate entertainment and cash bonanzas if they get lucky with transfer fees. Its a relatively low stakes game. We are now being sold a version of the "same as last year", but in reality it isnt. There is no potential for fans to see a team develop which will be able to compete at a higher level purely down to wage budget. Can Tiger afford 18m anyway? Im not sure, if I was a manager, that I would feel there much virtue in staying in L1 to try to try and take a team "up" if the club cant afford it and every year you lose your best players half way through the season or at seasons end. You can never really plan to compete if you are always the selling club. Sometimes the owner has to roll the dice. That manager will surely be looking at championship opportunities when they open - with 10x the budget for players. On reflection I wouldnt say this has turned league 1/2 into breeding grounds for young players to be developed (who then are sadly sold on the cheap to exploitative clubs in a higher league), rather the leagues will become graveyards of second class players playing for the sake of fans nostalgia - if promotion is unaffordable anyway why pay high salaries for class players? This vote killed the lower 2 leagues - the EFL pushed it through - the PFA have said it unlawful and appealed so the heart is still beating. Fingers crossed

The wage cap must have been voted by club Chairmen? I know we voted against it but It shows a general lack of ambition of Chairmen from lower league clubs - many realise they cannot afford the millions it costs to go up (maybe we are playing in a league full of clubs like that) - they came to play the 1/2 tables and now are unsure about the 10/20. They just want a sustainable business which can provide second rate entertainment and cash bonanzas if they get lucky with transfer fees. Its a relatively low stakes game. We are now being sold a version of the "same as last year", but in reality it isnt. There is no potential for fans to see a team develop which will be able to compete at a higher level purely down to wage budget. Can Tiger afford 18m anyway? Im not sure, if I was a manager, that I would feel there much virtue in staying in L1 to try to try and take a team "up" if the club cant afford it and every year you lose your best players half way through the season or at seasons end. You can never really plan to compete if you are always the selling club. Sometimes the owner has to roll the dice. That manager will surely be looking at championship opportunities when they open - with 10x the budget for players. On reflection I wouldnt say this has turned league 1/2 into breeding grounds for young players to be developed (who then are sadly sold on the cheap to exploitative clubs in a higher league), rather the leagues will become graveyards of second class players playing for the sake of fans nostalgia - if promotion is unaffordable anyway why pay high salaries for class players? This vote killed the lower 2 leagues - the EFL pushed it through - the PFA have said it unlawful and appealed so the heart is still beating. Fingers crossed
I know I have been selective but isn't the key sentence the one below from your text?

"They just want a sustainable business"

Shouldn't that be a chairmans priority? Or lack of ambition?

I know I have been selective but isn't the key sentence the one below from your text?

I do agree with the sustainable business comment but I disagree with the way the FL have gone about it. The same organisation that can rush through this rule change, but still haven't decided on who stays in L2, Macclesfield or Stevenage and the transfer window has opened.

I do agree with the sustainable business comment but I disagree with the way the FL have gone about it. The same organisation that can rush through this rule change, but still haven't decided on who stays in L2, Macclesfield or Stevenage and the transfer window has opened.
Decisions due on the 11th Aug. Like you I never understand why it takes so long! Do both sides take as long as they can answering each other's correspondence? Via carrier pigeon?

Woolworths tried keeping things as they always were. The demands of running a business based around soccer move quickly. Its no longer even attractive to become an owner - after these rule changes your hands are restricted on investing and getting any possible return on your cash. If you go up you have 4 months to completely rebuild. Ridiculous. We just lost our sponsors. Clubs will lose owners and next year will be a complete shambles of points deductions/insolvency and up to the f*****g EFL to decide how to score it fairly to make sure the clubs they want promoted (cannon fodder) come straight back down. Football isnt a sustainable business period. It is a VERY rich mans hobby. Anyone could climb Everest but getting to the pinnacles of now even Championship is even harder. I feel sorry for players and even more managers. Depending on what the fans want surely, we may have to take risks if we want to be playing in a league with ANY substance with any future "success" - it become Sunday league otherwise honestly! What do we wanna be? Bottom rungs forever? Whats attractive for a investor? Feeder club = expense. The next two years, and whether we can get the the Championship and stay there, will decide the fate of this club. After that, we may need to reinvent and restructure but the DNA would be the same. Expect smaller leagues at the top end as smaller clubs going bust to make way for more consolidation. It is rolling out (in proposals) before our very eyes - also think in terms of talent we are in a good position to take a plunge and go for it..... rather than gradually lose the interest of the viewing public. RIP Bury et al

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom