Safe standing

Also, after the three years, does a standing area have to be removed or just not used?

Anyway, as these are safe standing 'seats' they won't need to be removed, but just used in the locked seating position.

Lazy journalism by watchdog?

I am surprised they even mentioned little Shrewsbury Town!

Richard Conway on Twitter just now:

Breaking: Significant development on “safe standing”.
Government understood to have started a review of the all-seated stadium policy for English football’s top two divisions.
Safety remains paramount - but a Whitehall source says “the time is now right” to look at the law again.

The review will see talks held with safety groups, EFL, Premier League + fans. Whitehall source: “The Sports Minister hasn’t shut the door to fans keen on standing sections being introduced but it is important that all the evidence + viewpoints are considered extremely carefully”

What does it all mean?
@tracey_crouch clearly listening and policy review process is now underway.
Govt. wants to be utterly convinced on safety issues + is also aware there are multiple views out there.
So no guarantee of change - but it could potentially herald a major shift.

Richard Conway on Twitter just now:

Breaking: Significant development on “safe standing”.
Government understood to have started a review of the all-seated stadium policy for English football’s top two divisions.
Safety remains paramount - but a Whitehall source says “the time is now right” to look at the law again.

The review will see talks held with safety groups, EFL, Premier League + fans. Whitehall source: “The Sports Minister hasn’t shut the door to fans keen on standing sections being introduced but it is important that all the evidence + viewpoints are considered extremely carefully”

What does it all mean?
@tracey_crouch clearly listening and policy review process is now underway.
Govt. wants to be utterly convinced on safety issues + is also aware there are multiple views out there.
So no guarantee of change - but it could potentially herald a major shift.
Well that is positive.
Not a simple 'no' which seemed to be the position before

Agreed @Foley its a positive move from the default position of NO... people/fan power via petitioning and lobbying (fsf among others) has had enough of an impact to cause the powers that be to call for a review into the implications of safe standing instead of dismissing them out of hand as before :sneaky:

Last edited:
The FSF survey left them in a tricky position, but if they want to be seen to look at it, they this can be a wonderful charade for that. Until the Government in Liverpool give their consent, it won't move forward, regardless of who is in UK Government

The FSF survey left them in a tricky position, but if they want to be seen to look at it, they this can be a wonderful charade for that. Until the Government in Liverpool give their consent, it won't move forward, regardless of who is in UK Government

With two top flight clubs, the government in Liverpool litereally have no understanding of lower league fans wishes whatsoever.

With two top flight clubs, the government in Liverpool litereally have no understanding of lower league fans wishes whatsoever.
They don't but it doesn't matter. When Liverpool have decided, that's it done, forever.

From that picture it looks like if it was in the seated position it would be a bit of a squeeze, certainly don't look like they're designed for comfort either.

From that picture it looks like if it was in the seated position it would be a bit of a squeeze, certainly don't look like they're designed for comfort either.
Relatively few seats in all seater football stadiums have been designed for comfort, or for much in the way of leg room either, sadly :(

Unlikely at the Kashstad? Shame really.

I bet The nice Mr K is champing at the bit to do something to please the fans. What better way than to remove all the existing seats (at great personal cost) and replace them with expensive new Gucci folding chairs all painted yellow and blue (also at great personal cost). FANTASTIC!

I won't hold my breath......

Unlikely at the Kashstad? Shame really.

I bet The nice Mr K is champing at the bit to do something to please the fans. What better way than to remove all the existing seats (at great personal cost) and replace them with expensive new Gucci folding chairs all painted yellow and blue (also at great personal cost). FANTASTIC!

I won't hold my breath......

I bet Kassam isn’t as opposed to suggestions as most would think.

There is lots of room on each row, you could stand 2 adults one behind the other in fact.

Safe Standing is just as likely at the Kastad as any other club stuck in our position, aka held back by current legislation. Safe Standing is a safety issue, Kassam won't be able to reject improved safety for supporters, and he certainly wouldn't be paying for it either, he doesn't pay for anything as it is.

There is lots of room on each row, you could stand 2 adults one behind the other in fact.

Safe Standing is just as likely at the Kastad as any other club stuck in our position, aka held back by current legislation. Safe Standing is a safety issue, Kassam won't be able to reject improved safety for supporters, and he certainly wouldn't be paying for it either, he doesn't pay for anything as it is.

Think enough room for 2 adults one behind the other is pushing it. 3 adults per 2 spots maybe.

Anyway it would have to be one per spot as the ticket would need to be sold for that seat/standing area.

Think enough room for 2 adults one behind the other is pushing it. 3 adults per 2 spots maybe.

Anyway it would have to be one per spot as the ticket would need to be sold for that seat/standing area.
I've seen 2 adults stood on behind the other in a safe standing area.

The tickets in England, if SS is brought in, will be 1 per seat but in other countries they allow 1.5/2 people per seat which proves the room is there.

Agreed @Foley its a positive move from the default position of NO... people/fan power via petitioning and lobbying (fsf among others) has had enough of an impact to cause the powers that be to call for a review into the implications of safe standing instead of dismissing them out of hand as before :sneaky:

A few folk saying 100,000 signatures would have no effect, but it does seem to have been a factor.

Rail seating /safe standing as used in Germany (and elsewhere) when in safe standing ( seats bolted up) mode allows/permits/ accommodates one third more (safe) standing supporters than when the seats are bolted in the down/seating position ( one per seat)

Simply, if a safe standing stand has a capacity of 3000 when the seats are bolted up in safe standing mode, IF the seats are at some point/ match bolted down into (all) seated position, (champions league for example?), capacity would reduce to 2000

The tickets in England, if SS is brought in, will be 1 per seat but in other countries they allow 1.5/2 people per seat which proves the room is there.

Different people and different sizes! I'm all for more people fitting in but it won't be for everyone.

In a ideal world a safe standing stand which held 2500 seats could have 3000 - 3500 unreserved tickets sold.

If we have say 100 seats and 300 people try and squeeze in it will get a bit too much.

Sounds more like safe spooning

Back
Top Bottom