General Safe standing barrier

I think the problem is as @WuTang mentioned we had a successful group but it faces harassment from the club and people moving away. I wish I could have helped them more with it but I don't know any of the lads and I'm from London myself (and haved lived in all parts of the country except Oxford!).

The displays and atmosphere the group brought were superb, and the effort the lads put in to making our home ground a good place to be was incredible. Made matchdays so much more enjoyable. I think the lads never really got the credit they deserved.

I remember a couple of Palace lads saying Oxford were up and coming on the scene, I didn’t realise all this had gone on. Shame, but I can see it from both sides. The HF at Palace wield a little bit too much power and displaced a lot of loyal fans when they insisted on moving blocks. They can also get a bit political. Overall though they are good for the club and do a lot in the community with food banks etc.

Last edited:
I think the problem is as @WuTang mentioned we had a successful group but it faces harassment from the club and people moving away. I wish I could have helped them more with it but I don't know any of the lads and I'm from London myself (and haved lived in all parts of the country except Oxford!).

The displays and atmosphere the group brought were superb, and the effort the lads put in to making our home ground a good place to be was incredible. Made matchdays so much more enjoyable. I think the lads never really got the credit they deserved.

Until it's gone a? I'm an old fogey but god I miss what these lads brought to the game. If they had not had the harrasment surely a succession would have evolved so sad.

I think generally the whole thing would have taken a lot more effort and organisation than most of us realised. To put all that effort in and then be harrassed by the club must have hurt the lads, being realistic. Also the Ultras were often blamed for the use of Pyro at away games, something they only ever did in Austria where it is legal.

I don't want to speak for a group I was never part of though. @WuTang if there is any willing lads and anyone at the club who can agree to let the lads wave flags and set up displays without harrassment it would be amazing to see it going again one day, even if in a smaller way.

People do move on sadly, like @Kamal said it peaked at a certain point in the mid 2010's. My life is completely different to how it was back then for example. I just wish I lived in Oxford so I could have helped the lads more at the time.

It was easy to create spectacular one-off displays and even regular matchday colour with the old head of security. Genuine understanding guy, who despite not being an OUFC fan, enjoyed football and loved seeing what what we came up with. We worked together to ensure it was all safe, he had common sense etc etc. We gave him a bit of a headache with the Swindon surfer and "Robins on the Run" but even the Police Commander for that day left it in his hands and he gave us the benefit of the doubt!

The one who followed took a different approach, and went well out of his way to make things as difficult as possible. Simple things we'd done for years were suddenly banned, 100x more red tape, we had forms to fill out, it really was not worth it at all. We reported this to the club but despite some false hope, at the time they sided with their employee (which we half expected, despite obvious disappointment). They made it clear we were the ones causing him and the club a problem in a couple of meetings, that killed it for me at the time, and I imagine that detered a young group from starting something new.

However it's a new board, new staff and new head of security. Hopefully any new group would receive a more helpful approach this time around.

It was easy to create spectacular one-off displays and even regular matchday colour with the old head of security. Genuine understanding guy, who despite not being an OUFC fan, enjoyed football and loved seeing what what we came up with. We worked together to ensure it was all safe, he had common sense etc etc. We gave him a bit of a headache with the Swindon surfer and "Robins on the Run" but even the Police Commander for that day left it in his hands and he gave us the benefit of the doubt!

The one who followed took a different approach, and went well out of his way to make things as difficult as possible. Simple things we'd done for years were suddenly banned, 100x more red tape, we had forms to fill out, it really was not worth it at all. We reported this to the club but despite some false hope, at the time they sided with their employee (which we half expected, despite obvious disappointment). They made it clear we were the ones causing him and the club a problem in a couple of meetings, that killed it for me at the time, and I imagine that detered a young group from starting something new.

However it's a new board, new staff and new head of security. Hopefully any new group would receive a more helpful approach this time around.

And now "they" have created a Fans Council/Panel to repair the damage others have done.

Radical idea - don`t break it in the first place because when it`s gone its ten times harder to rebuild it.

This was a spectacular own goal by the football club.

The away atmosphere in the conference/national league days than it is now because of the absense of you guys as a collective. Better football yes, but worse atmosphere.

Having a unique and special atmosphere makes the club more money in the long term. A young kid might see the displays, the colour, even the clothes the lads wear and want to be a part of it. Suddenly supporting Oxford United feels like a "cooler" prospect than following your mates and supporting Chelsea, Arsenal or Manchester United.

Sorry to ask this again @WuTang but do you still have any of the larger waver flags? If the club allowed them to be stored in the East Stand and we got some volunteers to wave them, that could be a small but positive change for the atmos.

It's not only the flags that made the difference. It was the fact that at one point we had 30-50 or so lads at the top of the east stand in the ultras section, all of whom were starting chants and contributing positively to the atmosphere. There used to be large coaches that would carry the people in the Ultras section to away games. This was good because it helped grow the group and got more people involved. It used to carry the "feel good" factor from the away games to the home games. More of the general Oxford fans were getting involved once they saw there was actually a dedicated group, who on the most part were welcoming and encouraging people to join. The Left and Right side were getting involved. Creative chants were being created. Nowadays I think we only have generic chants for our players?

I have no idea who is still up there nowadays, but it seems like all the regulars who used to be there (including me at one point) have now gone our own ways and sit elsewhere with different people. Since I moved from the Ultras section I have now sat in the SSL, NS (Family area) and this season, Hospitality. Would one really start chants in those locations? I now see those that used to be involved in the scene now sitting (not standing) in other stands. That's probably the main reason why the atmosphere has dropped at home games.

Regarding the younger generation, there is now definitely a group of younger lads who seem to get the chants going at away games. No idea if they would want to get involved with flags, but the younger generation is there (I feel old because I don't even recognize any of them and I'm probably only 10 years or so older than them).

It's not only the flags that made the difference. It was the fact that at one point we had 30-50 or so lads at the top of the east stand in the ultras section, all of whom were starting chants and contributing positively to the atmosphere. There used to be large coaches that would carry the people in the Ultras section to away games. This was good because it helped grow the group and got more people involved. It used to carry the "feel good" factor from the away games to the home games. More of the general Oxford fans were getting involved once they saw there was actually a dedicated group, who on the most part were welcoming and encouraging people to join. The Left and Right side were getting involved. Creative chants were being created. Nowadays I think we only have generic chants for our players?

I have no idea who is still up there nowadays, but it seems like all the regulars who used to be there (including me at one point) have now gone our own ways and sit elsewhere with different people. Since I moved from the Ultras section I have now sat in the SSL, NS (Family area) and this season, Hospitality. Would one really start chants in those locations? I now see those that used to be involved in the scene now sitting (not standing) in other stands. That's probably the main reason why the atmosphere has dropped at home games.

Regarding the younger generation, there is now definitely a group of younger lads who seem to get the chants going at away games. No idea if they would want to get involved with flags, but the younger generation is there (I feel old because I don't even recognize any of them and I'm probably only 10 years or so older than them).
I can only make 5-10 home games a season but I tend to book at the back of the East Stand just because I don't really like sitting at games.

You are 100% right that flags were more just a marker of the groups presence, but of course the atmosphere was mainly brought by the chanting. Would be great if some of the older lads (I'm mid-20s, jesus maybe I'm in that bracket now) could pass over some materials and knowledge to the younger lads. Although, obviously it's awkward randomly approaching people and discussing these things.

Apart from Lincoln, Palace and Huddersfield, who else has organised groups in this country now? It's very hard to do in a country where if you attend footy in a group of lads who wear designer clothes rather than replica kits you are classed as "risk" and harrassed by the police...

A few of the the flags , surfers are stored behind the east stand. Saw them myself a few months ago. Sadly, they aren’t in the best of condition due to the way they were stored.

Likewise the flags that were I trusted to the club..

A few of the the flags , surfers are stored behind the east stand. Saw them myself a few months ago. Sadly, they aren’t in the best of condition due to the way they were stored.

Likewise the flags that were I trusted to the club..
Not sure if it is still the case but we used to put them all in a store cupboard on the left side of the East Stand, opposite the Stewards tea room. Not surprised they're not in good condition now! The cupboard flooded relatively frequently due to leaks from the roof and the tap that was in there.

Not sure if it is still the case but we used to put them all in a store cupboard on the left side of the East Stand, opposite the Stewards tea room. Not surprised they're not in good condition now! The cupboard flooded relatively frequently due to leaks from the roof and the tap that was in there.

No, you must be thinking of another stadium. That doesn't sound right at all.

It's an old photo I took when we were hanging banners up. God knows when! Probably 13 or 14 perhaps.
I meant @m haha but good to know, I miss those banners. Better than the mural we currently have, which is better than nothing I suppose.

Do you still know any of the lads who used to be a part of it carefree? Guessing there's no enthusiasm for Ultras2021 to be kickstarted..

I meant @m haha but good to know, I miss those banners. Better than the mural we currently have, which is better than nothing I suppose.

Do you still know any of the lads who used to be a part of it carefree? Guessing there's no enthusiasm for Ultras2021 to be kickstarted..
I still keep in touch with a few of those that sent the group up. The Likes of OxfordUltras and Luca Brassi who used to post here. The two i'm closest friends with won't be back (one's on the other side of the world and the other has other interests/busy with work). Can't speak for others but I think it unlikely.

I still keep in touch with a few of those that sent the group up. The Likes of OxfordUltras and Luca Brassi who used to post here. The two i'm closest friends with won't be back (one's on the other side of the world and the other has other interests/busy with work). Can't speak for others but I think it unlikely.
Remember a lad called LithuanianDiscoPower used to be one of the main voices for the Ultras on here.

The difference between Cambridge Away this year and Cambridge Away with the Ultras got me pretty sad. Went up to Cambridge with a few lads one years and the lads were greeted onto the pitch with huge wavers, smoke bombs, ticker tape. Fastforward to 2021 and it was a dull picture indeed.

I can only make 5-10 home games a season but I tend to book at the back of the East Stand just because I don't really like sitting at games.

You are 100% right that flags were more just a marker of the groups presence, but of course the atmosphere was mainly brought by the chanting. Would be great if some of the older lads (I'm mid-20s, jesus maybe I'm in that bracket now) could pass over some materials and knowledge to the younger lads. Although, obviously it's awkward randomly approaching people and discussing these things.

Apart from Lincoln, Palace and Huddersfield, who else has organised groups in this country now? It's very hard to do in a country where if you attend footy in a group of lads who wear designer clothes rather than replica kits you are classed as "risk" and harrassed by the police...
Ironically, we are the reason they now have a group. One of their lads messaged me before they had started anything, I gave them a few pointers for materials, what to expect from security etc etc, before you know it they have a superb section now. If anyone wants to give it a go at OUFC I can give the same advice.

The clubs who provided these groups with a proper "section" are now doing brilliantly. An area where (unofficially) standing will occur, there will be flags at the front impeding your view etc etc. We were once promised an unreserved area of seating in the East Stand, no season tickets will be sold in that area, will be an official singing section etc, unfortunately the club bottled it the week before season tickets went on sale and we missed out.

It was at the point the group was growing so quickly we couldn't fit into the centre of the East Stand anywhere, and moving to the right hand side (of our own accord, no help from the club so we took a gamble) led to the atmosphere getting a bit lost, the left side couldn't hear or join in. That was another turning point, right when the group was getting serious traction and needed some assistance from the club they were not interested, and told us to carry on as was and just do as we're told by Head of Security, which of course led to things deteriorating i.e. less flags, banners, displays.

For the first few years none of this will be an issue for a new group, that's only when numbers start growing as friends of friends all start joining. I'll never forget the 70 seater coach we had for Notts County, with many more meeting inside.

I have a great archive of photos from the Ultras years I could post up one day if anyone wants to reminisce :geek:

Ironically, we are the reason they now have a group. One of their lads messaged me before they had started anything, I gave them a few pointers for materials, what to expect from security etc etc, before you know it they have a superb section now. If anyone wants to give it a go at OUFC I can give the same advice.

The clubs who provided these groups with a proper "section" are now doing brilliantly. An area where (unofficially) standing will occur, there will be flags at the front impeding your view etc etc. We were once promised an unreserved area of seating in the East Stand, no season tickets will be sold in that area, will be an official singing section etc, unfortunately the club bottled it the week before season tickets went on sale and we missed out.

It was at the point the group was growing so quickly we couldn't fit into the centre of the East Stand anywhere, and moving to the right hand side (of our own accord, no help from the club so we took a gamble) led to the atmosphere getting a bit lost, the left side couldn't hear or join in. That was another turning point, right when the group was getting serious traction and needed some assistance from the club they were not interested, and told us to carry on as was and just do as we're told by Head of Security, which of course led to things deteriorating i.e. less flags, banners, displays.

For the first few years none of this will be an issue, that's only when numbers start growing as friends of friends all start joining us. I'll never forget the 70 seater coach we had for Notts County, with many more meeting inside.

I have a great archive of photos from the Ultras years I could post up one day if anyone wants to reminisce :geek:
I'd love that! Will make me happy and sad in equal measure.

The last time I remember the Ultras being on top of their game was Boro away, you boys bossed it that day.

For the first few years none of this will be an issue, that's only when numbers start growing as friends of friends all start joining us. I'll never forget the 70 seater coach we had for Notts County, with many more meeting inside.

Rather you didn't post any photos taken after 5pm, mind. Don't think they'll be pretty!!

Back
Top Bottom