General Safe standing barrier

Been informed that It was only ever a trial and was supposed to come out 2 years ago.

The club have no plans or money to put in any more of it in so it came out

A shame but that’s how it is apparently
Seems a little odd.was it used much?

If (yes, I know!) we were moving, there would be no point in the club spending money on installing it in a stadium that isn't ours and wasn't going to be used by us in the long term.

If (that bloody word again) we get a new stadium, I'd like to see them investigating installing it in some parts of the ground if possible. Personally, I don't mind sitting or standing - but it would be nice for the die hard stander-uppers to be able to watch a match in the way they prefer.

When the Ultras were in full swing we put a big banner up in the stand and stood behind it (like they do on the continent... And even Oldham). It was held up by a couple of poles each end but according to Mr Mixter it was abhorrently dangerous.. much like everything we did with him employed.

We asked if safe standing barriers could be used in the seats, it could encourage more to stand and sing, we can hang our banner, and played it off as safer when celebrating.

This actually worked but he passed the idea off as his "brainchild" and "masterpiece" (I kid you not, he used those words or similar and lauded it).

Anyhow, the club said funding was no issue, Kassam had no issue, but unfortunately this was only installed in one section on the back row. It was going to be the top 10 rows across the whole East Stand (similar to what Spurs, Wolves and Man Utd now have).

No idea why it wasn't completed but one barrier at the back was pretty pointless and looked bizarre. I guess this is the reason they decided to take it down, and the current staff probably have no idea why it was there in the first place!!

When the Ultras were in full swing we put a big banner up in the stand and stood behind it (like they do on the continent... And even Oldham). It was held up by a couple of poles each end but according to Mr Mixter it was abhorrently dangerous.. much like everything we did with him employed.

We asked if safe standing barriers could be used in the seats, it could encourage more to stand and sing, we can hang our banner, and played it off as safer when celebrating.

This actually worked but he passed the idea off as his "brainchild" and "masterpiece" (I kid you not, he used those words or similar and lauded it).

Anyhow, the club said funding was no issue, Kassam had no issue, but unfortunately this was only installed in one section on the back row. It was going to be the top 10 rows across the whole East Stand (similar to what Spurs, Wolves and Man Utd now have).

No idea why it wasn't completed but one barrier at the back was pretty pointless and looked bizarre. I guess this is the reason they decided to take it down, and the current staff probably have no idea why it was there in the first place!!
Really miss the colour you guys brought to games. Was a real positive when you were going. Massive own goal by the club making things as hard for you as possible. How many of the Ultras still attend matches at Grenoble Road?

Really miss the colour you guys brought to games. Was a real positive when you were going. Massive own goal by the club making things as hard for you as possible. How many of the Ultras still attend matches at Grenoble Road?
Very few of the originals who started it in 2009, but those since 2014 ish all still attend in their own friendship groups or families.

When I watch from home or go to games now it saddens me when the atmosphere or colour is nowhere near what it used to be. We were so passionate about that.

However life gets in the way eventually, it took serious time and money. None of the same lads have the time, some have moved out of Oxfordshire, many now have families or careers to focus on instead.

We really hoped another young group would carry it on, like we did in 2014, but unfortunately it's rare to find the right mix of lads who do have that drive, time and a bit of money behind them too.

I can't do it anymore for career and even health reasons but would happily donate to a group if they just needed money for flag poles and flag materials. I'd even let them know where we got everything from!

Very few of the originals who started it in 2009, but those since 2014 ish all still attend in their own friendship groups or families.

When I watch from home or go to games now it saddens me when the atmosphere or colour is nowhere near what it used to be. We were so passionate about that.

However life gets in the way eventually, it took serious time and money. None of the same lads have the time, some have moved out of Oxfordshire, many now have families or careers to focus on instead.

We really hoped another young group would carry it on, like we did in 2014, but unfortunately it's rare to find the right mix of lads who do have that drive, time and a bit of money behind them too.

I can't do it anymore for career and even health reasons but would happily donate to a group if they just needed money for flag poles and flag materials. I'd even let them know where we got everything from!
What you lads did was unbelievable for the club. Was listening to a podcast with Ryan Clarke the other day, where he said the hairs on the back of his neck stood up when he saw the flags go up away at Rushden.

Have so many memories of displays etc over the years. I'm mid-20s now and would have got involved but I can only make 5 - 10 home games a season due to work and the fact I'm not from Oxford.

Would be great to get another group of lads together one day, but I don't have the first clue how you go about organising it to be honest.

Thank you for clarifying the events. (y)

@WuTang Does anyone still have the old materials you lads used? Banners, poles etc. Wonder if anyone would be willing to ask the club if they could be stored at the back of the Jim Smith stand and a few lads could wave them before a match?

This is good news, but does the government realise that football exists outside the top 2 divisions?

It was only banned in the top two divisions.
Wasn't there some law about the ban still applying if you were lower than tier 2, but had previously been in the top two when the ban was applied? I may well be wrong.

It was only banned in the top two divisions.
Indeed, but the original intention was to ban standing through all divisions, but it was in the end only the top two. Now we have the confusing interplay between ground regs which ban standing and law which does not ban it.

I'd have hoped that the announcement would have encouraged all clubs with all seater grounds to create safe standing areas, to resolve the issue for everyone.

Indeed, but the original intention was to ban standing through all divisions, but it was in the end only the top two. Now we have the confusing interplay between ground regs which ban standing and law which does not ban it.

I'd have hoped that the announcement would have encouraged all clubs with all seater grounds to create safe standing areas, to resolve the issue for everyone.

We`ll be fine, the West Stand will be safe standing on the left side & seated on the quiet right........................ :)

Wasn't there some law about the ban still applying if you were lower than tier 2, but had previously been in the top two when the ban was applied? I may well be wrong.

I'd assume (dangerous I know) that the new law/rules would cover clubs such as ourselves as well.

What you lads did was unbelievable for the club. Was listening to a podcast with Ryan Clarke the other day, where he said the hairs on the back of his neck stood up when he saw the flags go up away at Rushden.

Have so many memories of displays etc over the years. I'm mid-20s now and would have got involved but I can only make 5 - 10 home games a season due to work and the fact I'm not from Oxford.

Would be great to get another group of lads together one day, but I don't have the first clue how you go about organising it to be honest.
Hi WY, good post.

I’ve only started taking an interest in Oxford properly very recently as I want my son to support his local team and I’m sick of the politics and set up of premier league football. I’m a Crystal Palace fan, and used to follow them home and away for nearly 25 years.
Believe me, having an ultras element (not hooligans) is a massive plus for a club and does help team performance/attracts new fans. If Oxford United have discouraged it, it’s a mistake IMO, but then I don’t know the history/circumstances and appreciate there’s safety/spectator concerns that have to be considered.

Palace’s HF have a Twitter account and are all about encouraging ultra elements in other clubs. If Oxford wanted to reignite their capacity to do this and wanted some support I’m sure they’d be happy to advise.

Hi WY, good post.

I’ve only started taking an interest in Oxford properly very recently as I want my son to support his local team and I’m sick of the politics and set up of premier league football. I’m a Crystal Palace fan, and used to follow them home and away for nearly 25 years.
Believe me, having an ultras element (not hooligans) is a massive plus for a club and does help team performance/attracts new fans. If Oxford United have discouraged it, it’s a mistake IMO, but then I don’t know the history/circumstances and appreciate there’s safety/spectator concerns that have to be considered.

Palace’s HF have a Twitter account and are all about encouraging ultra elements in other clubs. If Oxford wanted to reignite their capacity to do this and wanted some support I’m sure they’d be happy to advise.
I think the problem is as @WuTang mentioned we had a successful group but it faces harassment from the club and people moving away. I wish I could have helped them more with it but I don't know any of the lads and I'm from London myself (and haved lived in all parts of the country except Oxford!).

The displays and atmosphere the group brought were superb, and the effort the lads put in to making our home ground a good place to be was incredible. Made matchdays so much more enjoyable. I think the lads never really got the credit they deserved.

I think the problem is as @WuTang mentioned we had a successful group but it faces harassment from the club and people moving away. I wish I could have helped them more with it but I don't know any of the lads and I'm from London myself (and haved lived in all parts of the country except Oxford!).

The displays and atmosphere the group brought were superb, and the effort the lads put in to making our home ground a good place to be was incredible. Made matchdays so much more enjoyable. I think the lads never really got the credit they deserved.

What a video that is!

Really could do with these lads back doing their thing, atmosphere is so crap lately :(

Back
Top Bottom