Safe standing (again)

Foley

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43701400

This seems to have nothing to do with safety at all. I believe that the Hillsborough groups are against the return of standing however safe, but the government should grow a pair.

Why not trial it at WBA? Celtic and many many clubs have safe standing in Europe and at least obtain some evidence from a safety perspective before making a decision?

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43701400

This seems to have nothing to do with safety at all. I believe that the Hillsborough groups are against the return of standing however safe, but the government should grow a pair.

Why not trial it at WBA? Celtic and many many clubs have safe standing in Europe and at least obtain some evidence from a safety perspective before making a decision?
If they are against standing, are the pushing to make current stadiums in the FL all seated? I doubt it....

From a safety view point it takes longer to stand up and vacate a seating area invariably with limited leg space than it does to vacate a terrace. It's no longer about safety (if it ever was...Taylor report a weighty tome it is too, does not ,as many wrongly assume, instruct that all seater stadiums are safer.....it was is and will continue to be in place to control football supporters...who unlike just about any other spectator sport in England and Wales are also not deemed able to consume alcohol while the pitch is in view. ..... shame this current government are unable to /have decide to continue to oppose safe standing at football matches in England and Wales ....council elections looming, with prospective councillors knocking on doors canvassing....gonna be asking all of them their view on safe standing at football, as well as other issues too

No one wants to be the one who lets standing back into top level football. Because if Hillsborough mk2 happened, they'd be to blame. Even though football as a sport has vastly moved on in the past 20+ years and safe standing should be there for an open discussion.

How many all seater stadiums suffer from standing issues? There is your answer.

Most of them ....football supporters federation have the figures of injuries sustained by football supporters who have stumbled and similar while attempting to manoeuvre between (narrow) seats....obviously information is collated from safety officers who, in accordance with green book requirements have actually recorded said injuries ....yes there should be a serious look and debate regarding safe standing at football stadiums in England and Wales, however @Gary Baldi is right that despite safe standing being utilised in main land europe, for a whole plethora of reasons, including avoiding responsibility should introducing safe standing result in an incident. Lets not forget government interference almost saw id cards to attend football being implimented, government interference was complicit in caging football supporters in, and until the hillsborough inquest eventually concluded South Yorkshire Police were actually at fault, the current government in a previous incarnation attempted to attribute blame to football supporters. So yes, why would the current government reverse something they introduced, despite compelling evidence that 'they' got a lot of things wrong regarding treating football supporters differently to supporters of any other sport.

A slight tangent but does anybody know why Dortmund for example can have safe standing in Bundesliga , but cant for CL games?
So UEFA have a problem with safe standing at their games and why?

interesting that Spurs are allowed to install a safe standing area (well seats ready for safe standing) by the FA.

the FA must have approved the installation so must be on their radar, that it will happen at some stage, and surely the best thing before any roll out is to "test" which WBA would have been a perfect starting point.

Why should the government ignore the safety views of the experts which seems to have happened in the WBA case?
Apparently some Spirit of Shankley supporters from Liverpool went to see it in action at Celtic.
I suspect that hopefully in time it will happen.

Why should the government ignore the safety views of the experts which seems to have happened in the WBA case?
Apparently some Spirit of Shankley supporters from Liverpool went to see it in action at Celtic.
I suspect that hopefully in time it will happen.
Me too....though probably wont happen until there is a change in government

Spurs are future proofing WHL, rather than it being used when the stadium opens

From a safety view point it takes longer to stand up and vacate a seating area invariably with limited leg space than it does to vacate a terrace. It's no longer about safety (if it ever was...Taylor report a weighty tome it is too, does not ,as many wrongly assume, instruct that all seater stadiums are safer.....it was is and will continue to be in place to control football supporters...who unlike just about any other spectator sport in England and Wales are also not deemed able to consume alcohol while the pitch is in view. ..... shame this current government are unable to /have decide to continue to oppose safe standing at football matches in England and Wales ....council elections looming, with prospective councillors knocking on doors canvassing....gonna be asking all of them their view on safe standing at football, as well as other issues too
Good point. Well made Sir.

A slight tangent but does anybody know why Dortmund for example can have safe standing in Bundesliga , but cant for CL games?
So UEFA have a problem with safe standing at their games and why?
Dont Madrid have safe standing in Champions League? I am confused.

Dont Madrid have safe standing in Champions League? I am confused.
Their supporters at one end behind the goal (like pretty much everyone else in Europe) stand up in their seats

Interestingly at German (and a few other countries) games in uefa competitions they still have the perimeter fences up.

Back
Top Bottom