Sack him!

The thing is with Appleton we were playing attractive football and we just hadn't clicked yet because we lacked players for certain positions. Honestly can't see how the team we have at the minute with the manager we have will improve at all. It's just excuses after excuses.

This is a bit rose tinted for me, we werent playing attractive football in the first few months of Appletons reign, it was boring. It was all being played in front of the opposition who would just get men behind the ball and let us pass it alog our back four. Of course this began to change when the quality of player began to improve in January onwards but to say it was attractive at a similar stage of Appletons tenure is a myth.

Agree with the first part of that statement, but not the last bit! It's nonsense to believe that a club's ambition should be restricted by its perceived size. Bournemouth prove that smaller clubs can over-achieve, Sheffield Wednesday prove that big clubs can flounder for decades.

We can't believe that OUFC is a mid-tier three club and cannot hope to rise higher. Surely we live in hope of a few seasons in the Championship, whether it be due to a sugar daddy investing millions, or Pep's management acumen improving rapidly?

Of course we can live in hope, but (and there is always a but) most clubs who do this eventually find themselves back at their considered natural level. Blackpool had their year in the premier league and now they are back about where they started (albeit theyve had nightmare owners), as have bradford, Barnsley, wigan and so on.

It might different now with the massive sums of money on offer for getting to the Premier League, and Bournemouth may continue to flourish in the top tier or championship which is arguably above the natural level, but this will be because of the premier league millions, not because of natural selection.

Agree with the first part of that statement, but not the last bit! It's nonsense to believe that a club's ambition should be restricted by its perceived size. Bournemouth prove that smaller clubs can over-achieve, Sheffield Wednesday prove that big clubs can flounder for decades.

We can't believe that OUFC is a mid-tier three club and cannot hope to rise higher. Surely we live in hope of a few seasons in the Championship, whether it be due to a sugar daddy investing millions, or Pep's management acumen improving rapidly?

Of course we can live in hope, but (and there is always a but) most clubs who do this eventually find themselves back at their considered natural level. Blackpool had their year in the premier league and now they are back about where they started (albeit theyve had nightmare owners), as have bradford, Barnsley, wigan and so on.

It might different now with the massive sums of money on offer for getting to the Premier League, and Bournemouth may continue to flourish in the top tier or championship which is arguably above the natural level, but this will be because of the premier league millions, not because of natural selection.

Not just the premier league millions, but the millions of their extremely rich owner, who broke nearly all ffp rules to get them there

have an opinion one way or the other but what has them scoring after 8 games got to do with anything?

I’m really intrigued to find out what the expectations of those people that want Pep out were at the start of the season.

After a turbulent summer that saw the departure of 6/7 key players from last year’s team that finished just outside the playoffs (along with the manager), most fans with balanced viewpoints would have predicted a mid table finish. Which is exactly what Pep is delivering.

Personally, I have more of an issue with Eales than I do Pep. In the summer season ticket prices were hiked, and we were told it was so we could have a budget that would be good enough for the play offs. Well, it’s now January and we’re 8 points off the play offs and 8 points off the relegation zone. Is Eales going to stick to his word and give Pep the chance to bring in the players he needs to deliver the type of football he wants, or is he going to sell one or two of our key players and say ‘our business is done’. At the moment, the signs are pointing to the latter option being the most likely.

I’m really intrigued to find out what the expectations of those people that want Pep out were at the start of the season.

After a turbulent summer that saw the departure of 6/7 key players from last year’s team that finished just outside the playoffs (along with the manager), most fans with balanced viewpoints would have predicted a mid table finish. Which is exactly what Pep is delivering.

Personally, I have more of an issue with Eales than I do Pep. In the summer season ticket prices were hiked, and we were told it was so we could have a budget that would be good enough for the play offs. Well, it’s now January and we’re 8 points off the play offs and 8 points off the relegation zone. Is Eales going to stick to his word and give Pep the chance to bring in the players he needs to deliver the type of football he wants, or is he going to sell one or two of our key players and say ‘our business is done’. At the moment, the signs are pointing to the latter option being the most likely.

This is exactly it. What did people expect?

We've had a really good couple of years...... now we are stabilising, isnt this the norm? How many clubs continue in a never ending upward trajectory?!

id say none. at some stage everyone reaches a plateau, before setting themselves up for hopefully another chance to kick on.

What did I expect from this season?

Consolidation, followed by a steady improvement and a comfortable top half finish. Oh, and some entertaining football too. Not too much to ask, surely?

Instead we are going backwards, with a very low, almost non existent, level of entertainment. We are like a rudderless ship at the moment, heading for the icebergs, but half of the crew and passengers still think we're heading for the Mediterranean.

Please please please take your heads out of the sand and stop making excuses, what we're seeing is NOT ACCEPTABLE and change is needed now, before it's too late.

Think big difference here with Appleton things started to improve with Pep they are getting worst full stop.
Think big difference here with Appleton things started to improve with Pep they are getting worst full stop.

Between start of the season and the Fleetwood game in all the league:

Won 5
Drew 5
Lost 5

1.3 points per game

Since then:

Won 4
Drew 3
Lost 7

1.07 points per game

Overall its 1.31 points per game.

So yes, in theory things are getting worse, BUT, considering the loss of your captain and only real source of width and pace in the side in Rob Hall, isnt it to be expected that the number of points gained may drop slightly.

With Appleton, yes things did improve but that was mainly after the January transfer window (when he was heavily backed in getting the players he wanted lets not forget)

As a comparison, Appleton after 29 league games:

34 points at an average of 1.17 points per game.

I travel from cambridge every week and go to away matches and the crap way of playing and arrogance of Pep is outstanding. If i didn't learn from my mistakes or made the situation worse at work i would be sacked. Pep should be no different and shushing the fans is the final straw. I want him gone and i want it to happen tomorrow. Seriously considering avoiding the faff of 4 hours travel each saturday and letting my season ticket go to waste for the rest of the season and to be honest have no faith things will improve next season so will go to paying match by match. These are his players he motivates them and obviously he cannot sign good ones and motivate them either.

After yesterdays performance anger doesn't come close to how i feel. And the coward just sulked off down the tunnel at full time. Pep your time is up.

Consolidation, followed by a steady improvement and a comfortable top half finish. Oh, and some entertaining football too. Not too much to ask, surely?

Instead we are going backwards, with a very low, almost non existent, level of entertainment. We are like a rudderless ship at the moment, heading for the icebergs, but half of the crew and passengers still think we're heading for the Mediterranean.

Please please please take your heads out of the sand and stop making excuses, what we're seeing is NOT ACCEPTABLE and change is needed now, before it's too late.
Chelltenham
Port Vale
Bury twice
Walsall home
Blackpool twice
Blackburn
Northampton
Wigan
All pathetic gutless mistake-ridden displays. Watching Oxford is no fun any more. I’m not going to sulk and do the”not going to come till we’re winning” thing, but boy, is it getting difficult to get enthusiastic about going to the matches now when we know what to expect?!
The saddest thing about yesterday was that the result (even 1-0 up at half time) was not surprising. I’ve felt like supporting Pep till now but I’ve become well p*ssed off”.

I will take my head out of the sand (which incidentally seems to be where all the facts are stored) when you take off your blinkers and agenda to get rid of the manager rather than apportion blame to everyone who is a part of the situation.

To me this includes:

1. the manager as he picks the team, however he can only do so out of the players he has got available to him, of course some signings were a risk and havent worked out but equally he has been unfortunate to see Lundstram and Johnson leave aswell as Hall and Nelson pick up long term injuries, all four of these players would strengthen the current eleven

2. the chairman, ultimately he is responsible for the type of sid ethe club can have as he sets the budget, but... if the right players arent available at the right price should he "break the bank" to get them? not for me.

3. the players - yes they are given a way to play but they have the responsibility to adapt during a game and to make the right decisions that will get them the result, the loss yesterday wasnt down to the system we played, it was due to individuals inability to see the game out, just as it was at Walsall albeit due to the players making individual errors that arent acceptable at any level

and finally 4. The fans - booing your own players when they have lost 7-0 at home is one thing, but to do so when they are at 0-0 and relatively comfortable, during the middle of a move is also unacceptable to me.

I think the next 3/4 games will force Mr Eales hand
Charlton a
Bristol Rovers h
Rotherham a
Plymouth h

If we fail to win any of thes he should go

I am hoping for two wins and a draw but with all of these teams looking for points mostly to get clear of relegation I think we may struggle

Has to go this week' it’s a results based decision and he is not getting them.

Didn’t approve of his appointment, now it’s coming to haunt us.

I posted this on another thread but it's pretty relevant here too:

I think we need to give Pep until the end of the season. Under Appleton, I know the circumstances were somewhat different, but in the latter part of the season we really clicked. If we sack Pep now, who're we going to replace him with? A quick-fix manager who's probably only available because they failed at another club? If things don't improve, then we can say to Pep in the summer 'thanks but no thanks' and let him go on his way, then we'll have time to find his replacement.

The "Give im' time brigade," are as big a worry for our club as the manager himself. Oxford have, for the most part, always been a club to give managers time. clotet has been here since mid summer, and has therefore assembled players he wanted, pick his team. Now Bury may sack 2 in as many months, but that is because they are already in the mire, and they need to find the right combination to save their lives. We, on the other hand, are on the slide and after yesterdays embarrassment, maybe the lowest point at the club for some years, we can be ahead of the game, and do something to try to prevent it.

I really cringe when I see a quote like above. By the end of the season we may well be in Bury's position, but by acting now we can try to prevent it. Is there evidence to sack him? Of course there is, not just after yesterdays capitulation, but game after game. Those home games we won, it was by luck. Blackpool should have buried us. The odd goal after playing terribly.

Each week brings the same, home or away, rubbish, and the "Give im' time brigade," are prolonging this by saying what eales wants to hear amongst fans. The longer eales believes fans are accepting of the rubbish he speaks, and delivers on the pitch, the further we may slip towards the bottom. With things so tight in mid/lower table at least they can no longer shout how can you sack a manager when we are tenth.

Please think what you wish for. Too many of these fans almost kept Mr. "Nice bunch of lads" in a job for too long.
Lets not make the same mistake again. After all of the misleading statements the fans have been fed by eales over the last 18 months; "feesgate", increased budget from increased season ticket prices, top 6 budget, the last thing that man needs to hear from fans, is that we're prepared to give him more time.

I'm not saying there isn't anyone better out there, but it would be a huge risk. Yes we could appoint the next Wilder, or the next Waddock. We'll have more choice and more time in the summer to get it right.

Brilliant, by which time we are trying to sell tickets for a season in division 2, with trips to Newport and Barnet.
Sorry, but total illogical.

I want him to stay.

He needs to sort our defence out, they continually lose us points. They have been embarrassing for 6-8 weeks at certain points.

I like the style of play he's trying to implement, he needs better players but I can see what he's trying to do.

I personally thought the shushing was deserved yesterday for certain people. If you are going to stand there booing your team when we are passing the ball around don't have a hissy fit when someone puts their finger to their mouth.

Right, you want him to stay, to give him time to drive the last nail into our division status.
How can you say you want him to stay, nothing changes, we are awful, we cant pass, the players don't know what system they are playing, he is disrespectful to fans, he is a stuck record in his post match interviews.

So why on earth do you think he can sort the defence out, if he hasn't by almost two thirds of the season gone?

For me, sacking the manager is not the right option to choose.
You dont sack a manager unless you are in danger of going down (which i dont believe we are) or are on a run like Bury were prior to yestredays game.

Some points from yesterday and in general to explain why i think we should keep Clotet for now:

1. Bury had just changed manager, how many times do you see what is considered a poor side get a result in this situation? Quite a few, over an extended period of time the change of manager rarely makes much difference but in the first game or two you often see some unexpected results, we were unfortunate to be up against Bury immediately after the change.

2. The first goal conceded yesterday was a result of two things, a poor back pass from Tiendalli (who had been having a decent enough game until this point) which gave meant Eastwood had no option but to give away a throw in, but the main reason was the players inability to defend a set piece again. Yes the manager picks the team, but once they are out there it is down to them to make the correct decisions and be able to defend a set piece, they have enough experience between them to take responsibility for this, the manager cannot play the game for them, it is not FIFA on the playstation. By getting on at the manager all we are doing is allowing the players to hide/pass the blame which means things wont improve.

3. Booing during the game, im sorry but what?!!

We all want the team to do well and it can get frustrating when they appear to be playing in a negative way but surely its better to keep the ball rather than lose it playing an impossible pass. I often feel myself wanting them to get the ball forward a bit earlier, not to go route one but be a little more direct, but if there isnt an option to do this because a striker has come short rather than long for the ball in behind/the corners should we still play that pass just because it means we arent playing "boring" football? of course not.

Im confident that those booing would be the first to moan should give the ball away needlessly.

4. The club has lost, through either long term injury or sale, a large number of players since Clotet came in. (Johnson, Lundstram, Hall, Nelson, Ribeiro, Pekalski etc) all that i have listed there would have a good case to be starting more weeks than not.
I appreciate many will argue that the players brought in havent been good enough, but as we saw in Appletons first season, August and the early part of the season is a difficult time to bring in quality players be that permanent or on loan in comparison to January, jakubiak and morris v roofe and macdonald for example in Appletons first season and Brannagan (on paper) v Van Kessel.

5. I wouldnt take too much notice of the post match interviews with the manager or players, all they are and ever will be at most levels is conversions full of cliches and sound bites, none of it really means anything. You can be certain that the messages given across in these are not the same opinions expressed behind closed doors. There is no benefit to coming out in public and castigating players for basic errors. it will either make no difference or be a negative so in my opinion keeping things within the group is the right thing to do.

Di Canio used to do this on a regular basis and look where it got him, it was fine at Swindon where they were prepared to effectively write off the cost of a player he upset and allow them to leave and go and sign a replacement but this is not a sensible way to run a football club for two reasons, no one can really afford to do this long term but also football is a small world, once a club gets a reputation for being a bad place to go the quality of player you are able to sign drops, if we had adopted this model there is no way that we would have been able to sign Roofe, Ledson, Branngan etc. As soon as he got to a level where this couldnt happen, whether this was because the number of players good enough was smaller or the club couldnt afford to just let people go and replace them his managerial career came crashing down.

6. The whole episode is very very similar to when Eales and Appleton came in, an average (or worse in Appletons case) start to the season after a summer of uncertainty due to takeover talks (one successful, one not), the team playing a passing style which on occasion seems ponderous and ineffective due to some of the players, particularly those in the back 4 (Mousinho and Martin v Hunt and Newey) not being equipped to play that way at pace, a majority of fans calling for the manager to be sacked, an unacceptable and embarressing defeat (5-1 v Cambridge and 7-0 v Wigan).

Of course there are other issues such as the lack of marketing etc which was really good when Eales first came in, that contribute tothe general feeling of discontent but this is not the managers fault.

From a footballing perspective we are pretty much where i expected to be given the summers events, and probably about where we should be given size of club etc

I believe based ont he points made above it is worth persevering with the current managerial team, in the hope that they can make the same strides that Appleton et al did a couple of years ago, if of course they have not improved and we find ourselves struggling to retain our League one place then it may be time to make a change.

Pure fantasy. Where the hell do you think he is going to change things? Also you don't wait to change a manager until you are almost in a relegation fight, you do it, when it looks like it could happen, to try to prevent it happening, which is exactly where we are now.

Right, you want him to stay, to give him time to drive the last nail into our division status.
How can you say you want him to stay, nothing changes, we are awful, we cant pass, the players don't know what system they are playing, he is disrespectful to fans, he is a stuck record in his post match interviews.

So why on earth do you think he can sort the defence out, if he hasn't by almost two thirds of the season gone?

I disagree with your opinion. I guess I'm a mellow kind of yellow.

Pure fantasy. Where the hell do you think he is going to change things? Also you don't wait to change a manager until you are almost in a relegation fight, you do it, when it looks like it could happen, to try to prevent it happening, which is exactly where we are now.
We're 10th, 8 points from danger, our form is better than all of the bottom 5, our form over the last 5, 10 and 15 games are all well above relegation form

I want Pep out too but you're posting complete B*****s

Back
Top Bottom