Sack him!

Ok, firstly if you would be so kind as to point out which parts of my post are “pure fantasy”, I can then respond with a list of the factual parts to it.

I’m confident who’s list will be longer. (Clue: it’s not your list)

Secondly, the last paragraph of your post I’ve quoted states all the things that you believe Eales has done, whether I agree with that or not is another discussion, but let’s assume for the purposes of this point, they are all true.

What do you expect any new manager to be able to do if he’s working under the same constraints and false promises as Clotet is?

I’d argue, assuming what you say is true, that no one would be doing particularly well.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, part of the reason for our relegation from the league was a mid season managerial change when the current form would have likely seen us through.

The fact is, and I appreciate you don’t deal with facts but I will continue anyway, our current ppg is better than Appleton’s first season, it is also enough to keep us up comfortably.

It would require us to go on a run akin to the worst in the clubs history, this team, both players and management are not that bad.

To answer your point about changing manager and citing Bury as an example of this, you are aware the previous manager didn’t have a positive impact aren’t you?

You also want to blame the manager for defeats but not credit him for victories, so what is it? Is he responsible for performances or not?

You can’t only have him responsible for negatives and credit the players for positives.
15 points from 16 games is by no means the worst run in our history. Go check tge recird books, son...

15 points from 16 games is by no means the worst run in our history. Go check tge recird books, son...

Ok, assuming you mean “the” and “record” I understand your post, however clearly you misunderstood mine, at no stage did I say “the worst”

Perhaps, you should go and check what I actually wrote.....son.

But to now put my grown up head on, which unfortunately means you won’t be able to follow the rest of the post.... whether it is the worst or close to the worst is really irrelevant, what it is though is a terrible run and not something I believe is going to happen.

This is all exactly the same kind of panic/agenda/irrational thinking as when Appleton was struggling in his first season.

Of course it doesn’t mean the same will happen and we will get promoted next season after having an average one this, but changing manager isn’t the start of a guaranteed path to riches either.

In many cases, you are better with what you know than taking a gamble and it not paying off. In positions like Bury currently are you need to take a gamble, we are not in that position where a gamble is out only choice.

However I am also aware that many people will not attempt to look at this in a logical way and have made their mind up about the manager and will not change it whatever happens so im probably wasting my breath.

(Childish head back on.....)

In the defence of those people though, I suppose they were correct to write off Hylton after the friendly at Didcot, Eastwood as soon as he signed back as well as Callum O’Dowda as being too weak.
Oh hang on....

We are not, as the sycophants claim, currently playing like a mid-table side. We should have lost to Blackpool and then did lose to Walsall and Bury. Those are three of the worst/ most out of form sides in the division. THAT is where we are.

We've been playing like a bottom three side most of the season. At first it was sporadic, now it's constant. Pep has managed the spontaneity out of the decent players. BTW, I agree with you that it's not entirely Pep's fault he should never have been recruited given his track record and Eales has set the club tone of disinterest and dishonesty.

The remaining hope is that somehow Brannegan, Pekalski, B-R and Dickie make a swift and decisive difference and do indeed turn us back into a mid table side. Because at present it's only our two opening wins that are shielding us from the bottom six.

It's a nice idea but what makes you think that Pekalski, recruited as part of the successful effort to drag old journeymen from the forgotten leagues of Europe to our club for one last pay-check, will be any better than Henry or even Gino? Why do think that Brannagan (sp), B-R and Dickie will be able to struggle into the light from the turgid midden of cluelessness that Pep is building for us?

Why edit out the middle part of my post in your reply? Could it be that you're trying to make me out to be more radical than my full post (which explained my viewpoint) actually was?

Also why accuse me of having an agenda? I have no agenda other than wanting a successful Oxford United, and if that means expressing my opinion regarding the manager, after about 30 games to support that view, then that's what I'll do and what I have done.

Stop making out that anyone who disagrees with you has an agenda.
But why not question the person who is responsible for his hiring. Who is responsible for giving him money to spend. The person who is responsible for selling the best players? Oxvox are to cosy that way

Pep is playing soccer scrabble. Eventually he'll pull 11 tiles out the bag and be able to arrange them into something that scores points....

This is exactly it. What did people expect?

We've had a really good couple of years...... now we are stabilising, isnt this the norm? How many clubs continue in a never ending upward trajectory?!

id say none. at some stage everyone reaches a plateau, before setting themselves up for hopefully another chance to kick on.

now we are stabilising, isnt this the norm?
You cannot be serious, you call this stabilising??? God help what you call it when we are bottom, consolidation?

What did people expect?
Most fans didn't expect to watch abysmal football week on week, where we consistently play crab football then tippy tappy, before acting like rabbits with lights in their eyes around the box, or to have a manager who repeats the same nonsense every week, punctuated by the words "Focus" and "learn from our mistakes."
Most didn't expect to see a team unable to pass the ball to another player in yellow, or make a 560 round trip to Blackpool to be humiliated, or be embarrassed by a team who are bottom of the league by a country mile, having just sacked their manager, with their main striker out, not having scored for 8 games of so and not won a game for around 8 games.

What were you hoping for?
We're 10th, 8 points from danger, our form is better than all of the bottom 5, our form over the last 5, 10 and 15 games are all well above relegation form

I’m confident who’s list will be longer. (Clue: it’s not your list)

Secondly, the last paragraph of your post I’ve quoted states all the things that you believe Eales has done, whether I agree with that or not is another discussion, but let’s assume for the purposes of this point, they are all true.

What do you expect any new manager to be able to do if he’s working under the same constraints and false promises as Clotet is?

I’d argue, assuming what you say is true, that no one would be doing particularly well.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, part of the reason for our relegation from the league was a mid season managerial change when the current form would have likely seen us through.

The fact is, and I appreciate you don’t deal with facts but I will continue anyway, our current ppg is better than Appleton’s first season, it is also enough to keep us up comfortably.

It would require us to go on a run akin to the worst in the clubs history, this team, both players and management are not that bad.

To answer your point about changing manager and citing Bury as an example of this, you are aware the previous manager didn’t have a positive impact aren’t you?

You also want to blame the manager for defeats but not credit him for victories, so what is it? Is he responsible for performances or not?

You can’t only have him responsible for negatives and credit the players for positives.

I love your quote, our current ppg is better than Appleton’s first season, it is also enough to keep us up comfortably.

Why do the "Give i'm Time" brigade always reach back to the Appleton era to seek some form of comfort. It's history, he's gone.
Right, lets start again, facts, as you seem to like facts, apart from the Appleton references.
clotet has assembled his own squad, bringing in the John Radcliffe quality player as he did. He has had since last summer to develop the team, and is producing a pitiful form of the game, where the team cant pass, create chances, and have been sussed out by every team in the league.
Yesterday we were beaten by a team bottom of said league by lots of points, not having won or scored for 7 or so games. Now this team, keeping it factual for you, not only won, but came from a goal down, and we were totally embarrassed.
We played abysmally, again, as we have done for most of the last 10 games or so. Even where we have won, we were so lucky, aka Blackpool.

I give you credit, as you left out one point normally included by your brigade; we are tenth! Well I'm afraid as the middle of the table is so tight, unless we get quite a few points from the next run of games, and by some miracle clotet changes things and we start playing well, we will find our selves in a relegation battle.

Ok, assuming you mean “the” and “record” I understand your post, however clearly you misunderstood mine, at no stage did I say “the worst”

But to now put my grown up head on, which unfortunately means you won’t be able to follow the rest of the post.... whether it is the worst or close to the worst is really irrelevant, what it is though is a terrible run and not something I believe is going to happen.

This is all exactly the same kind of panic/agenda/irrational thinking as when Appleton was struggling in his first season.

Of course it doesn’t mean the same will happen and we will get promoted next season after having an average one this, but changing manager isn’t the start of a guaranteed path to riches either.

In many cases, you are better with what you know than taking a gamble and it not paying off. In positions like Bury currently are you need to take a gamble, we are not in that position where a gamble is out only choice.

However I am also aware that many people will not attempt to look at this in a logical way and have made their mind up about the manager and will not change it whatever happens so im probably wasting my breath.

In the defence of those people though, I suppose they were correct to write off Hylton after the friendly at Didcot, Eastwood as soon as he signed back as well as Callum O’Dowda as being too weak.
Oh hang on....
Oh dear not just me then who you get angry with.

now we are stabilising, isnt this the norm?
You cannot be serious, you call this stabilising??? God help what you call it when we are bottom, consolidation?

What did people expect?
Most fans didn't expect to watch abysmal football week on week, where we consistently play crab football then tippy tappy, before acting like rabbits with lights in their eyes around the box, or to have a manager who repeats the same nonsense every week, punctuated by the words "Focus" and "learn from our mistakes."
Most didn't expect to see a team unable to pass the ball to another player in yellow, or make a 560 round trip to Blackpool to be humiliated, or be embarrassed by a team who are bottom of the league by a country mile, having just sacked their manager, with their main striker out, not having scored for 8 games of so and not won a game for around 8 games.

What were you hoping for?

I love your quote, our current ppg is better than Appleton’s first season, it is also enough to keep us up comfortably.

Why do the "Give i'm Time" brigade always reach back to the Appleton era to seek some form of comfort. It's history, he's gone.
Right, lets start again, facts, as you seem to like facts, apart from the Appleton references.
clotet has assembled his own squad, bringing in the John Radcliffe quality player as he did. He has had since last summer to develop the team, and is producing a pitiful form of the game, where the team cant pass, create chances, and have been sussed out by every team in the league.
Yesterday we were beaten by a team bottom of said league by lots of points, not having won or scored for 7 or so games. Now this team, keeping it factual for you, not only won, but came from a goal down, and we were totally embarrassed.
We played abysmally, again, as we have done for most of the last 10 games or so. Even where we have won, we were so lucky, aka Blackpool.

I give you credit, as you left out one point normally included by your brigade; we are tenth! Well I'm afraid as the middle of the table is so tight, unless we get quite a few points from the next run of games, and by some miracle clotet changes things and we start playing well, we will find our selves in a relegation battle.
Here here and we're only tenth because the teams below us haven't played their games in hand yet!

Oh hang on....
I shall attempt to address your non childish head, though that seems adolescent at best.

You said that for us to go down would require us to 'go on a run akin to the worst in the club's history'.
Akin, broadly means 'the twin of ' or 'the equal of'. So yes absolutely you meant that we would need to go on the equal worst run in our history to go down.
That is abject nonsense. Given where the teams in 21st and 20th are right now, it is entirely possible, maybe even probable that 20th place will require 54 points or more. We need sixteen points to get there. So 1 poi t a game. Which is more or less exactly what we have been accruing since October.
So far from needing the equal worst run of form in our history, we could go down just playing as we have done for the last few months!
I happen to agree with you that sacking the manager in late January is a gamble quite likely to backfire. But that isn't because I'm unconcerned about relegation. It's because I AM concerned. I reckon that that squad must be a very fragile unit right now, and anything that destabilises it further than losing 7-0 at home and leaking two late goals to a side who haven't scored in eight games is not a good thing. In fact, and counter-intuitively, what they need right now is some of Pep and T Rossers Koolade. If they can just believe, against all evidence, that they are a focussed, young, improving talismanic team for the next month then they might just inch to safety before squeaky bum time.
By the by, good to come across another Hylton and COD fan. Too few of us on here! I think we would be far stronger with both in the side right now.

Well, in reality people agree with you. It won't please the sycophants - as one poster describe them - but official home crowds are down to 6k and I'm told that nearly 500 season ticket holders didn't turn up yesterday.
That tells its own story. Whilst I don't agree with Colin that this is just about the manager I do echo what is a cry from a very experienced supporter for people to get their fingers out of their ears.
We are not, as the sycophants claim, currently playing like a mid-table side. We should have lost to Blackpool and then did lose to Walsall and Bury. Those are three of the worst/ most out of form sides in the division. THAT is where we are. 'Mid table sides ' don't lose 7-0. That feat is saved for the dregs.
The remaining hope is that somehow Brannegan, Pekalski, B-R and Dickie make a swift and decisive difference and do indeed turn us back into a mid table side. Because at present it's only our two opening wins that are shielding us from the bottom six.

Just to be clear, Charlie, neither do I think it's 100% the fault of the manager, I was merely responding to the thread title and leaving the other issues to one side. So in that respect, we broadly agree.

But why not question the person who is responsible for his hiring. Who is responsible for giving him money to spend. The person who is responsible for selling the best players? Oxvox are to cosy that way

Because it's a thread about the manager.

But don't miss an opportunity for a bit of OxVox bashing will you!

We've been playing like a bottom three side most of the season. At first it was sporadic, now it's constant. Pep has managed the spontaneity out of the decent players. BTW, I agree with you that it's not entirely Pep's fault he should never have been recruited given his track record and Eales has set the club tone of disinterest and dishonesty.

It's a nice idea but what makes you think that Pekalski, recruited as part of the successful effort to drag old journeymen from the forgotten leagues of Europe to our club for one last pay-check, will be any better than Henry or even Gino? Why do think that Brannagan (sp), B-R and Dickie will be able to struggle into the light from the turgid midden of cluelessness that Pep is building for us?
I wrote 'hope' not believe!

I agree that many of the displays this season have been epic in their poverty of motivation, skill and organisation.
From Cheltenham to Blackpool away to Port Vale to Bury away to Walsall at home to Wigan at home to Bury yesterday we have seen a litany of 'mares'. Games where you come away dumbfounded by the sheer awfulness of what you have seen. Then to hear it compounded by some ghastly complacent excuse-ridden nonsense from Pep, followed by more of the same from all parties in the following matchday programme.
The reason for this supine complacency throughout all levels of the club - from boardroom to dressing room to Oxvox - is down, I think, to two things. First, just league position. Which has been propped up by the points we got back in August before the crocks got crocked and Pep worked his tactical magic.
And second, although none of the above will say so, because since October they've been expecting the club to be taken over at any minute....
Organisations going places require accountability, open and constructive criticism, a clear game plan and trust that everything is as it says on the tin. It would take a fairly detached OUFC supporter to think that that is what we have right now.....

Doing a New Years spring clean the other day I was clearing out some newspapers and came across an old MApp post game analysis: 'We were gubbins today, and I'm going to have to put it right.' Straight-speaking, honest, accountable. It goes a long way when in a position of public interest.

Here here and we're only tenth because the teams below us haven't played their games in hand yet!

We will fall 5 places if the teams below us win their games, which hopefully makes the "Give i'm Time Brigade's" argument for giving him time, redundant.
Watford are also in Brigade's fabled tenth position. They have just sacked their manager today, before things get any worse.

Doing a New Years spring clean the other day I was clearing out some newspapers and came across an old MApp post game analysis: 'We were gubbins today, and I'm going to have to put it right.' Straight-speaking, honest, accountable. It goes a long way when in a position of public interest.
I really do miss the no-nonesense approach of MApp. No waffle, straight to the point. I see a different game to Pep, I wonder if he believes it himself, maybe he feels if he says it often enough we'll all start to believe it.

Give Pep time.

So that he can change things, get the team passing more fluidly to each other and playing more direct rather than crab, followed by tippy tappy, followed by rabbit in headlights scenario football.
So that he can be even more disrespectful to fans, and can keep repeating the same rubbish in his after match press conference, and repeat his catch phrases; focus and learn from our mistakes?

I dispair:rolleyes:

So that he can change things, get the team passing more fluidly to each other and playing more direct rather than crab, followed by tippy tappy, followed by rabbit in headlights scenario football.
So that he can be even more disrespectful to fans, and can keep repeating the same rubbish in his after match press conference, and repeat his catch phrases; focus and learn from our mistakes?

I dispair:rolleyes:
This is PC. I don't think he was being serious.

Pep clotet ?

Back
Top Bottom