Ex Player Ryan Williams

John Otway, now you are going back.
Anyone else remember Wild Willie Barrett playing at the folk club upstairs at the long-gone Great Western pub down by the station?
Must have been about 1968.
I remember seeing John Otway playing in the long gone Sandpiper in Wheatley way back, he was climbing up on top of the speakers... a bit mad.

Last edited:
I remember seeing John Otway playing in the long gone Sandpiper in Wheatley way back, he was climbing up on top of the speakers... a bit mad.
He did that on TOTP and jumped of them and it all went all wrong

I have to say that whilst you expect a few sour grapes, the absolutely united indifference to his departure and collective agreement on his very real lack of end product is a tad worrisome on the Pompey forum. 😬

I’m hoping KR can work with him and he connects better with a striker like Taylor to become more potent for us than them

I have to say that whilst you expect a few sour grapes, the absolutely united indifference to his departure and collective agreement on his very real lack of end product is a tad worrisome on the Pompey forum. 😬

I’m hoping KR can work with him and he connects better with a striker like Taylor to become more potent for us than them
Come on!! Find the positive bus ....

My Pompey friend tells me that Ryan had a .."difference of opinion" with the Cowleys after a match & the reduced wage offer put the cap on it. He is at his peak & I think he is an excellent acquisition.

I was intrigued to find that an during his first loan..an Australian Oxford academic I was chatting to knew of him instantly by name when I mentioned my fandom to him back then..anyway welcome back Ryan..wondering if that chap is keeping up.

The flip-side to that is how Rotherham fans feel about him. He was excellent for them in L1, did well in the Championship, and left them when they were relegated to stay in that league. I don’t know if Pompey outbid Championship clubs or the offers didn’t materialise, but you wouldn’t find Rotherham fans calling him a headless chicken with no end product.

What I don’t really know is why he thrived there but not Pompey, whether it was a Warne vs Jackett/Cowleys thing or whatever.

My Pompey friend tells me that Ryan had a .."difference of opinion" with the Cowleys after a match & the reduced wage offer put the cap on it. He is at his peak & I think he is an excellent acquisition.
Let’s hope he produces the goods, no pressure

It’s amazing how some players seem to thrive at some clubs but not at others this is usually true about midfielders and attackers
You have to fit into the system your manager wants.Also depends on the manager. Seems to me the best managers know who needs an arm round them and who needs a bollocking
Could be Ryan got on very well with the Rotherham manager but not so the Pompey manager
In KR I feel we have a manager who by and large manages to get the best out of his squad and it seems they like him.
So let’s hope we get the Ryan Williams who is happy and contented at OUFC
Good luck Ryan

I seem to remember on a couple of occasions where KR spent a lot of time chatting with Ryan after games. It seemed like they had a mutual respect. I think Ryan will fit in well.

Last edited:
Can remember Otway & Barrett at Mayfly on Oxpens Road .... must have been 1978..... and they are still gigging!

Lets be honest, the Pompey fans are going to be knee deep in bitterness after the way their season imploded on the last day. We couldve signed any of their players and the indifference would have been the same.

To be fair, this forum would probably be exactly the same if we had been in Pompey’s position! Us football fans are a fickle bunch the world over 😁

Lets be honest, the Pompey fans are going to be knee deep in bitterness after the way their season imploded on the last day. We couldve signed any of their players and the indifference would have been the same.

To be fair, this forum would probably be exactly the same if we had been in Pompey’s position! Us football fans are a fickle bunch the world over 😁
We have to trust KR to some extent I mean we’ve not signed players under him that everyone is like wow! Yet he seems to get the best out of them as a squad and make the playoffs. Even after a very bad start!
I do worry when on mass fans have little good to say about a player because often they’re right. I suppose he doesn’t have the weight of expectation on his shoulders. Wish him all the best and hope he proves Pompey fans to be very wrong.

Back
Top Bottom