Ex Player Ryan Ledson

In the Sun.
RYAN LEDSON has told Oxford he wants to leave the club in January for a move to the Championship.

If this is the case get rid A.S.A.P.
No ambition,any player worth his salt would tell Oxford "i want to leave the club in January for a move to the PREMIER LEAGUE ;)

I think Ledson wants this move. It's to a higher league and closer to his native Liverpool too. Shame his form has been iffy of late, might reduce his fee a bit.

4 years ago the idea of selling players was unlikely, let alone for £1m+. As frustrating as it is to lose players, DE has shown that he can get good money for those who do go. The criticism was that this money hasnt been reinvested well, but maybe this window will show others.

As far as Ledson is concerned, he's 20 and moved away from home to build a career with us. He now has the opportunity to step up a league, earn more, and be closer to home. I dont knock him for wanting to progress and wish him well if/when he does. Anything around £1.5m will be decent money in my view, especially if that means we keep Eastwood and bring another couple of big players in.

Get what you are saying, but why?
If we are indeed 'building something' then - as Pep says - you cannot keep flogging your best players every time someone comes knocking. Lego is basically under contract for another EIGHTEEN MONTHS.
If we want to get promoted to the championship next season then, with the experience he is building, he is exactly the kind of player we need to keep.
Having made a profit last season, and then sold 4 million quid of players and manager last summer, and reinvested none of it, surely it cannot be that Darryl needs the money.
It would be a big positive statement of intent to say 'We are running for promotion to the championship and Ryan will play a big part in that and then get a move to the premier league off the back of his efforts with us,'

If we are indeed 'building something' then - as Pep says - you cannot keep flogging your best players every time someone comes knocking. Lego is basically under contract for another EIGHTEEN MONTHS.
If we want to get promoted to the championship next season then, with the experience he is building, he is exactly the kind of player we need to keep.
Having made a profit last season, and then sold 4 million quid of players and manager last summer, and reinvested none of it, surely it cannot be that Darryl needs the money.
It would be a big positive statement of intent to say 'We are running for promotion to the championship and Ryan will play a big part in that and then get a move to the premier league off the back of his efforts with us,'

Because if you keep a want away player it will have a huge effect on him, the squad and any younger player we bring in promising to put him in the shop window.

This is our model, Branagan is part of this model. I’d rip any clubs hand off if they offered £1m - he’s decent but has been poor at times this year.

Ivo is due back- he may be the replacement

Love lego...Would be a shame to lose him...but am I the only one that hasn't been that impressed by him this season? I'm also not sure if he's quite ready for the step up yet.

Could just be my bitterness mind.

But contracts mean nothing in reality other than having an impact on player price.

If a player signs a new 3 year deal all it has done is provide some form of financial security for both parties.

Once a player has his head turned or indeed a chairman receives an offer he cant refuse, the whole dynamics of that relationship can change very quickly.

I think you are getting your Lancashire teams confused,Burnley are the Suicide Squad.
But as Preston have always been in Burnley's shadow,i can understand your confusion.

With great background music from Mott The Hoople !

That’s Bowie surely?? No idea about the suicide gang or whatever they’re called.

If the club want him to stay they could say that he could go in the summer but see the season out.

I suspect that if they get a good offer though, the fact that he has been left out a few times this season and has not been at his consistent best may mean that they take it if it is good enough,

Would be happy if he stays though.

Amazingly he’s still only 20 years old.

Huge amount of potential still.

A player when sold who will have a lot of sell-on clauses added to the deal.

I will only believe stuff when its officially announced, The S*n are not the best for info.
If he's in the squad today then we get on with it.

Because Ryan and others were probably sold the option of progressing when the opportunity arose. This could be what brings them here in the first place and if we turn down these opportunities then we may miss out on the likes of Brannagan in the future.

A footballers career is fragile, one injury can change things very quickly. Ledson is someone who will have ambitions of getting back into the PL and a move to the Championship can be a big step towards this. Plus he is just 20 and the chance to move home will be a crucial factor I'd guess.

If he goes then we rebuild and move on. Last summer was bad but we're seeing a return to the business model that has served us well. We may not agree but no one can say we weren't told that this would happen.

PS - welcome back Charlie.

We have a good record of playing hardball for monies received - Appleton, lundstram, Johnson

This should be no different for Ledson. Indeed, at this time of year, his age, length of contract and potential we should ask for two million plus a sell-on. But even that doesn’t seem unreasonable

While I’d be disappointed to see him go he hasn’t had the best of seasons and I believe the players we’ve brought in will provide adequate cover.

I think it’s also worth considering that by selling Ledson it shows to other prospectively players in higher leagues that we are a good club to join to boost your career. O’Dowda, Johnson, Lundstrum have all gone on to Championship clubs and it looks like Ledson/Eastwood may be doing the same.

It will certainly help us in attracting young talent particularly if there’s competition from other clubs. We’re also finally becoming more sustainable.

The loss of Ledson will be much less of an impact than Eastwood.

I think for the most part, criticism of the club selling on players is a bit unfair.

Kemar Roofe - Did brilliantly for us and it would have been unfair to stand in his way.
Callum O'Dowda - Probably went a year to early IMO, but it was obvious his dad wanted the best for him and was likely to move within the season.
John Lundstram - Wouldn't sign a new contract. Would have gone for a free at the end of this season.
Chey Dunkley - Wouldn't sign a new contract. Went on a free.
Marvin Johnson - Always looking for a move, we were only ever a stepping stone for him. (He never really had an affinity for the club, so IMO no great loss)

Ryan Ledson - Looks like he's not going to sign another contract. He will be in exactly the same position as Lunny in the Summer.

The club have offered contracts to these players. I don't think OUFC should be held to ransom.

If Michael Appleton had been in charge, we were more likely to sign McAleny, Maguire, possibly Lunny too.

In short, I don't want Lego to go, but if he's not going to sign another contract then he doesn't want to be here for the longer term. IF he did sign a new contract the club are unlikely to stand in his way when a decent offer came in anyway.

Edit: I'm happy that we move players on as long as we are recruiting more young hungry starlets who may (or may not) do the same in a season or two. I'm just hoping that last summers transfers were just a lapse in this system.

I think you are getting your Lancashire teams confused,Burnley are the Suicide Squad.
But as Preston have always been in Burnley's shadow,i can understand your confusion.

That’s Bowie surely?? No idea about the suicide gang or whatever they’re called.

Bowie wrote it for Mott the Hoople, and sings on it.

No Preston were called Preston Suicide Squad but then they changed it.

Just as a point of information, what are we basing the assumption that a) PNE are determined to get get Lego and b) that he really wants to go?

Back
Top Bottom