Ex Player Ryan Ledson

Surely it would be better to get 500k for him now, than get nothing for him at the end of the season?

It was exactly the same situation with Lunny in the summer.

He's not out of contract until 2019. And we'd receive compensation for him due to his age, even if he did leave at the end of his contract for nothing.

He’s on contract until summer 2019. Half a million is therefore nowhere near what we’ll accept currently. Double that and we’ll start negotiating it upwards, but anything less than seven figures isn’t even worth considering.

Ah OK, fair enough I thought he was Out of Contract in the summer. Is Nelson contracted until 2019 also?

Ledson signed a three year deal, so is out of contract in May 2019 - https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2016/august/oxford-united-sign-everton-midfielder/

It came as a surprise to me to find he only played 30 times last season - I forgot he missed the first month of the season.

Preston would be a brilliant move for him - closer to home, a chance to get regular football in the Championship, decent size club with a project going on. A much better move than going to a "bigger" Championship club and benchwarming 50% of the time.
So if there is a bid from them (It appears there has been) - then I think it will turn his head and unfortunately much like Lunny and Marvin, there will be little we can do to keep hold of him.

Best case scenario for us is that we can strike some deal where he doesn't move until the summer, whether that be by agreeing a half-season loan or by delaying any deal to end end of the season.

If they really want him now, they should pay more, simple as.

Great point about it going to a tribunal due to his age once contract is run down. I’d take the risk keep him if bids are only around the 500k mark - we would get another season out of him and would likely get about 500k (maybe more?) anyway from the tribunal.

If some offers over a mil it would be tough to reject but must re-invest. Under Mapps tenure he always spoke about having a list of targets lined up and moving down the list, let’s hope we still have options / ideas lined up!

IMO Ledson is our best player. He definitely has the most potential. Anything less than a million for him in January would be poor business for OUFC. Having said that he will do a Lunny in the summer if he isn't sold. As @captainox implied, Preston is the perfect move for him.

Remember Ledson will still be under 24 when his contract expires, so we would still receive a fee if his contract was left to run down. This wasn’t the case with Lundstram hence the low fee received for him.
But probably a lot less than the £1million people want. I might be £750k + add ons.

But probably a lot less than the £1million people want. I might be £750k + add ons.
Unless we get the tribunal boss who decided on Nelson’s fee. If so, we’ll probably be able to buy the Kassam!

Another factor to consider is the player himself. Hopefully the speculation won't get inside his head and affect his performances.

Ledson signed a three year deal, so is out of contract in May 2019 - https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2016/august/oxford-united-sign-everton-midfielder/

It came as a surprise to me to find he only played 30 times last season - I forgot he missed the first month of the season.

Preston would be a brilliant move for him - closer to home, a chance to get regular football in the Championship, decent size club with a project going on. A much better move than going to a "bigger" Championship club and benchwarming 50% of the time.
So if there is a bid from them (It appears there has been) - then I think it will turn his head and unfortunately much like Lunny and Marvin, there will be little we can do to keep hold of him.

Best case scenario for us is that we can strike some deal where he doesn't move until the summer, whether that be by agreeing a half-season loan or by delaying any deal to end end of the season.

So your happy for him to go then?

Realistically, it would be the next step up for him. Right age, right surroundings, decent, young footballing team, not yet good enough for higher things. Similar to CoD really...

That said, we certainly have no obligation to sell and, if we do, they're gonna have to dig deeper than a half mill. Double it and we'll start talking.

Remember Ledson will still be under 24 when his contract expires, so we would still receive a fee if his contract was left to run down. This wasn’t the case with Lundstram hence the low fee received for him.

Yeah, challenge is though that tribunal fees for young players are supposed to be set to compensate clubs for the costs of developing those players.

Problem is that Everton did the majority of the work there - he was with their academy for fourteen years. We just signed him and gave him the opportunity to play, and maybe smoothed some of the rough edges around his game (unlike, for example, Dean Whitehead who was one of ours all the way. Or Curtis Nelson, who was with Plymouth for seven years before leaving)

We'd get a fee, but I'd strongly doubt it would be anything like 500k.

Yeah, challenge is though that tribunal fees for young players are supposed to be set to compensate clubs for the costs of developing those players.

Problem is that Everton did the majority of the work there - he was with their academy for fourteen years. We just signed him and gave him the opportunity to play, and maybe smoothed some of the rough edges around his game (unlike, for example, Dean Whitehead who was one of ours all the way. Or Curtis Nelson, who was with Plymouth for seven years before leaving)

We'd get a fee, but I'd strongly doubt it would be anything like 500k.

Then we have to set the our price high it’s not like PNE can’t afford it but 500k is to little for Lego has to be more

Last edited:
Interesting words from Pep this morning:

He said: “We are trying to build.

“We already lost two really important players in the summer. If we lose an important player now I would start to think ‘what are we doing?’.

I wonder if a bid has indeed been tabled and Pep is firing a warning shot at DE..?
Sounds like all is not well and Ledson is about to be sold.

And sign players based from the South AKA Robert Dickie.

Hi i am a PNE fan and i am very excited about the posible signing of Ryan Ledson. He is very much our type off signing, young, eager and full of potential. Also, whoever said that and offer of £500,000 plus daniel johnson would be "worth considering " needs a reality check. DJ is worth about £2million-£4 million in the current market. I beleive north end will spend up to £750,000 to £1,000,000 for Ledson

Last edited:
Hi i am a PNE fan and i am very excited about the posible signing of Ryan Ledson. He is very much our type off signing, young, eager and full of potential. Also, whoever said that and offer of £500,000 plus daniel johnson would be "worth considering " needs a reality check. DJ is worth about £2million-£4 million in the current market. I beleive north end will spend up to £750,000 to £1,000,000 for Ledson
not anywhere near enough PNE ......a straight swap for Daniel Johnson, with add-ons,in current values,is closer to a realistic value

Ledson is a young midfielder with loads of potential, not a terraced house in Skelmersdale!

Imagine if he hadn't been injured in the summer and was able to join the England U20's for the World Cup. I imagine we'd have easily been able to set a price tag nearing £1.5 million

Back
Top Bottom