International News Russian War With Ukraine

Also walking through Abingdon earlier, there appears to be a conspiracy theorist jumping on the support for Ukraine by the public. I could be wrong as only heard a couple of minutes but he was claiming Germany will go bankrupt and Audi etc will disappear.

You are, of course, aware that many refugees actually wish to stay as close to their country's border as possible?
This is even more true for the Ukrainians who want to get back to their own families, homes, and country despite the destruction we see on the news on a daily basis. The hard reality is many wish/hope this will end soon and they don`t want to be "marooned" a long way from home.

To compare the current situation to WWII is both disingenuous to those that helped then, and those who are helping now.

Poland have long been close allies and good friends.

They (along with Czechs) sent us enough pilots in 1939/40, which proved pretty pivotal in the Battle of Britain!

Indeed. I grew up with a lot of Polish kids who were children or grandchildren of Polish men who’d own as pilots in the RAF from a base local to us. That’s why it particularly annoys me when I hear anyone talking negatively about “Polish immigrants”.

Indeed. I grew up with a lot of Polish kids who were children or grandchildren of Polish men who’d own as pilots in the RAF from a base local to us. That’s why it particularly annoys me when I hear anyone talking negatively about “Polish immigrants”.
Ive a Polish daughter in law ..... yep, me too

Ive a Polish daughter in law ..... yep, me too
about 3 christmas ago i was spending xmas alone as my daughter who lives with me was spending the holiday at her mums..around 5pm there was a knock on my door and a Polish woman had brought me food cake etc and a bottle of wine, she had heard i would be alone so decided to bring them around. Prior to this i did not know her other than the occasional hello or good morning at the school.
Something I will never ever forget

You are, of course, aware that many refugees actually wish to stay as close to their country's border as possible?
This is even more true for the Ukrainians who want to get back to their own families, homes, and country despite the destruction we see on the news on a daily basis. The hard reality is many wish/hope this will end soon and they don`t want to be "marooned" a long way from home.

To compare the current situation to WWII is both disingenuous to those that helped then, and those who are helping now.
Spectacularly missing the point there...

Yes in south Oxfordshire, but our village doesn’t have the infrastructure and that was why they said 3/4 years ago no more house builds. Why South Oxfordshire were told to accept the local plan is the amount of properties that are needed. I believe it’s 3,500 to be built south of Grenoble road and I’m not sure what’s happening with the airfield at Charlgrove.
Would you want to move to a village but your 3/4!year old having to travel 3 miles to go to nursery/preschool.
These sort of things might seem small but it would be an issue.
Only one shop wouldn’t be adequate enough for why is being planned.
Come on Bazzer, Steventon is nice enough but it's not a patch on the quaint old Oxfordshire village of Kidlington.

Come on Bazzer, Steventon is nice enough but it's not a patch on the quaint old Oxfordshire village of Kidlington.
It is and when the council sort out the storage facility and hopefully get lorries to leave via Steventon road and out onto the A338 then even better.

No one on here has compared the sacrifices or bravery of the Ukrainians to people voting Brexit!

The only comments have been from those saying that Russia had been playing the long game and looking to divide Western governments and NATO (Brexit, Trump, supporting the rise of the far right across Europe etc), and those who say that this has nothing to do with recent events.

But it says something where even when those discussions have inflamed posters on either side, no one has been as insensitive as the Prime Minister in linking death, destruction and despair with putting an X on a ballot slip!!

Back
Top Bottom