International News Russian War With Ukraine

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
Thought I would start a thread about this, seeing at the US think an invasion could happen before the end of the Winter Olympics (20th Feb 2022).

And now the UK is advising any UK national to leave Ukraine immediately.

Is it going to happen?

Is Putin hoping for China to help him, can he resit a NATO attack?!

It’s frightening, if it were to happen Biden has said he wouldn’t put boots on the ground and I think Putin has looked at this and thought that an invasion wouldn’t be hindered by NATO .

I read an article somewhere explaining that Russia's MO is not to invade. They can't afford the consequences of a full invasion, but they shore their border up and send mercenaries and "advisors" in to the pro-Russian separatists and foment the war from within. It is largely what they did with South Otzhetia (sp) etc doing the minimum possible militarily but fuelling the conflict unofficially. Same with Syria where they only provided air cover but no boots.

I would hope it’s jaw jaw rather than war, if Russia invaded they must be regarded by the rest of the world as aggressors, despite what ever Spin is put on it

Just strikes me he is having a laugh at our expense, sitting on the border watching us all running around in a panic.
Then will probably ease back in a couple of weeks when he gets bored....

Traditional "war" is a thing of the past.

Tech warfare, cyber attacks, fuel supplies, general disruption is all you need now.

Hence the threat to stop the flow of Russian money is enough to hold them off for now.

Traditional "war" is a thing of the past.

Tech warfare, cyber attacks, fuel supplies, general disruption is all you need now.

Hence the threat to stop the flow of Russian money is enough to hold them off for now.
I’d argue that disrupting fuel supplies and causing disruption is very much traditional war. It’s very Sun Tzu to subdue an enemy without fighting.

When the Putin starts, the shooting starts. Let’s hope common sense prevails.

I see that we're talking about Russian assets being frozen in the event of an invasion.
There's gonna be a lot of disgruntled billionaires in that case.

I see that we're talking about Russian assets being frozen in the event of an invasion.
There's gonna be a lot of disgruntled billionaires in that case.
But will the U.K. freeze the assets of those that are contributing to the Tory party or to the football clubs they own?

But will the U.K. freeze the assets of those that are contributing to the Tory party or to the football clubs they own?

Why would they care about football clubs bazzer? Not sure I get the relevance?

Why would they care about football clubs bazzer? Not sure I get the relevance?
Freezing Russian assets Abramovic and Denim for starters ( not sure if that’s how you spell abramovic )

The Bournemouth s owner is Russian also. All the millions he's put in are loans. Oops.

The Bournemouth s owner is Russian also. All the millions he's put in are loans. Oops.
That’s Max Denim but loans? He’s pumped 100’s of millions into a club above and beyond FFP if as you say they are loans then more fool him as Bournemouth will never be able to repay them. But it’s an asset owned by a Russian as is Chelsea so if sanctions and the Russian assets are frozen how they will be able to operate beyond the season is anybody’s guess.

If Russia go in there’s every chance that they’ll do so after staging an attack on their own troops so that they can ramp up support at home.

If we’re potentially going to be at war with them (at least by proxy) it would be really helpful if we hadn’t put oligarchs and ex-KGB family members in the Lords.

Looks like the eighties are back.

Back
Top Bottom