Other European Rules is rules.....

I can see why you might think football is art if you watch a lot of rugby.

You can get quite a reaction if you suggest to someone who is more into the arts than sport that footballers can be artists though.

Is darts an art?

Darts is a pub game along with Aunt Sally etc.

You can get quite a reaction if you suggest to someone who is more into the arts than sport that footballers can be artists though.

Is darts an art?
No, darts isn't an art, there aren't enough moving parts.

Is darts an art?
I would say that watching Eden Hazard stop, move and change direction with the ball is quite different from watching James Wade throw a dart.

I'm gonna watch the Rabbitohs now, hope to be back on here later.

New loon, though (y)
Are you a medical professional?

I know what i want to see on a football pitch. Football transcends sport. Most English people who are into sport should probably be watching rugby league IMO. It should be quite an even spread between football and RL.

Last edited:
Except that RL is formulaic, predictable and deadly dull. It is even worse than the rule -bound mess that is RU - and that's saying something.

There is a reason football is more popular and worldwide, Rugby (of both codes) is limited to a few countries for a reason.

Except that RL is formulaic, predictable and deadly dull. It is even worse than the rule -bound mess that is RU - and that's saying something.

There is a reason football is more popular and worldwide, Rugby (of both codes) is limited to a few countries for a reason.
I agree with that, there isn't much scope for tactical variation in the game with regards formations, you have to have a set team formation.

I find both football and cricket far more interesting than either rugby code as a clever coach can get quite creative with personnel in trying to nullify an opposition strength or to exploit a weakness.

gotta say I just dont 'get' eggchasing in either form (RL & RU) never have

Except that RL is formulaic, predictable and deadly dull. It is even worse than the rule -bound mess that is RU.

I thought so too until I actually watched it live - and found out that I had been way wrong.

It IS a war of attrition, with (frequent) sporadic bursts of skill to liven the simple (but very necessary) set-up of the first 3-4 tackles. It's far more watchable than union, at least live.

I've had season tickets in four codes of football, and to be honest the only ones I'd renew are football and rugby league. Appreciate it may not be your thing, and agree that it is the sheer simplicity of football has seen it spread to the world.

I used to watch rugby union on the telly with my (now late) dad, who played for Wasps at one time. Unfortunately, but probably for sensible safety reasons, RU has had so many rule changes that there seem to be endless 'technical' offences which have made the game so stop-start that I really can't watch it any more and have lost all interest.

I have never seen a RL game live, so I will take your word for it. I don't really have much of an inclination to spend money finding out though, TBH...

I don't mind complexity, I even think the Duckworth/Lewis/Whoever method in cricket is sensible!

I think one of the main reasons why Rugby and Gridiron aren't more popular is because it's very expensive to treat people who have broken their necks, most governments around the world don't want that hassle and expense. Also less equipment required for football training. I do find watching RL boring to watch on TV a lot of the time, but I like watching big guys run hard into each other, and then some of the passing and stepping on top of that. I mainly watch Aussie RL, and the Kangaroos; it was an interesting education watching Andrew Johns and then Cameron Smith, B Slater and C Cronk; I watched every single minute of every Melbourne Storm match on TV between May 2010 and October 2015, and some matches more than once, I saw them live in Leeds in 2013 too. It was like watching a Swiss watch, and still is, Melbourne do have an advantage in that 99% of their players aren't from Melbourne and therefore Craig Bellamy(Melbourne coach) can have more of a hold on them and get them to train together for longer.

I'm fascinated by the breakdown area in RU too, I'm a bit of a fan of Steffon Armitage, I follow the Dragons and I'll probably follow Taine Basham's career.

Last edited:
I was watching more Tigers games than Oxford games for a while, it all about the quality on offer for the money.
Day out at the rugby, sat in your seat with a pint or four can be great fun, they have terraces as well.

I watched a small club RL games live and although in the lower leagues or top end amateur they have mostly been entertaining enough. Not as good as football but entertaining nonetheless.

I watched a small club RL games live and although in the lower leagues or top end amateur they have mostly been entertaining enough. Not as good as football but entertaining nonetheless.
I don't think i find 99% of the sport i watch entertaining, compelling quite a bit of the time though. I find the breakdown in RU compelling viewing. I'm not a football fan, I follow a few teams, Real Madrid, Paris SG in the Champions League and obviously I've got a soft sport for Oxford United because of the Celtic connections during the 1980's, I obviously watched the 1986 League Cup Final live on TV, Jeremy Charles and Ray Houghton innit.

I don't think i find 99% of the sport i watch entertaining, compelling quite a bit of the time though. I find the breakdown in RU compelling viewing. I'm not a football fan, I follow a few teams, Real Madrid, Paris SG in the Champions League and obviously I've got a soft sport for Oxford United because of the Celtic connections during the 1980's, I obviously watched the 1986 League Cup Final live on TV, Jeremy Charles and Ray Houghton innit.

Yo fam. ?

Okay, still allow slide tackling and heading, but still get rid of off-side, reduce the size of the goal a little to 7m x 2.4m, increase the size of the goalies area to 18 metres. Go to 9-a-side, but at least 2 players must stay in the oppositions half at all times. No penalty spot, yellow card is 10 minutes in the sin-bin. No goal hanging as that would be against the spirit of the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom