Rule Changes

There are a lot of rules from rugby that I think are needed in football, most importantly time stoppages, sin bins and "blood subs".

Sadly VAR is the one we have adopted, and I'm yet to see the benefits of that within this sport. 6 matches into the WWC, and each has been subject to at least one disallowed goal, insanely miniscule offside call or highly debateable hand-ball decision, which could arguably have gone either way. I only see this as something to aid the billion-dollar betting industry (as you can bet on absolutely anything these days, not just the final score) and serve as some sort of dramatic entertainment for people watching at home. Serves nothing but disruption to the people actually at the game.

But, the. Supporters on the correct decision would be more appreciative of the VAR?

Last edited:
Reduce matches to 80 minutes, but stop the clock when the ball goes dead. We'd get a hell of a lot more actual play, timewasting would be a thing of the past, and everyone (crowd, managers, officials, players) can see exactly how much time is left. No more 'Fergie-time', no more managers who seem to not understand the word 'minimum'!
If a player 'steals a few yards' at a throw, rule it a foul throw and award a throw to the opposition.

Have the linesperson mark the point of where the throw in is to be taken and stand one meter in front of the mark.

Let’s face it, VAR wouldn’t have been introduced if the media didn’t replay every contentious decision again and again.

Referees decision is final and put money into more training for the refs so it is standardised.

Have the linesperson mark the point of where the throw in is to be taken and stand one meter in front of the mark.
Ideally. But you'd need four linesmen linespeople assistant refs, since in effect each one only runs half of one side of the pitch.

Strategic “injuries”?

No problemo. A doctor as 5th (or are up to more than 4?) official can be used to consult on whether a player asking to be injury subbed is really injured, would only stop the game for a few minutes.

IMO handball should be when a player purposely moves their hand towards the ball, or if it is in a completely unnatural position, e.g. well above their head when attempting to block a shot.

Problem here is that you've just introduced two subjective adverbs into the definition.
[aside - I just wasted two minutes trying to decide if well was being used in as an adverb or not in the above sentence. Opinions from grammer police welcome!]

One ref's completely or well may not be the same as another's...…..

Not saying I know what the correct solution is, but I think it needs to be defined more clearly than that.

With the new 5 subs rule I’d like to see the numbers on the bench updated to 10 instead of 7. Makes sense to have up to half of your bench come on, and given that squads are now at least 23 players it would be better to be able to have 21 players involved every matchday, keep them a bit happier. 7 seems an arbitrary number

Back
Top Bottom