Sport Rugby World Cup Thread

Gary Baldi

The Rugby World Cup started today - was good to see the Japanese get into the tournament so much - and we have 6 weeks of rugger buggers in red chinos pontificating about why Rugby is better than Football (it's not and never will be ;)).

While I hope ??????? win, more over, I hope it's a decent tournament shorn of the seeming usual huffing and puffing about VAR, officiating, etc.

A very open World Cup this time round with NZ, SA, Wales, England and the Aussies only a few points apart in the world rankings. Ireland have slipped a little in the last 12 months but will still be a threat, France are a funny team who could surprise a few and Scotland aren't a walkover. We've even seen how far teams like Japan, Fiji and Argentina have come on.

I actually think England have a decent chance. Eddie Jones has been working towards this for 4 years and has the experience of previous tournaments and being in Japan. But true to form we'll probably get turned over by Tongo tomorrow!!!

Some good matches so far but what are people’s thoughts on ITV’s coverage? I’m finding some of it a bit embarrassing- wtf is the rugby players in the studio acting out plays all about?! Yet again I feel the BBC do such a better job covering sporting events.

The ITV coverage is a bit basic, lots of voices, but that's it. The in game coverage is a lot better, apart from the 3 man booth that they had on the England game today.

It was an ok performance today by England, lots of unforced errors that teams like NZ will punish. Speaking of NZ, they were brutally efficient yesterday. SA lost control of small moments and lost out as a consequence.

Can’t see past NZ this year. SA forced some early mistakes and I was impressed at their tempo keeping the All Blacks in and around the 22 but the technical ability of the All Blacks with ball in hand shone through after they weathered the small. It was a fairly typical (in recent years) display from SA.

Looking at the Southern Hemisphere teams NZ are head and shoulders above their tri nation counterparts. As was seen today it’s always good to watch the Pacific Islanders but they tire and aren’t going to be winning a World Cup any time soon (especially when other teams are picking up their players). Argentina is going to be a tough test as they usually are in the forwards. Need to limit the penalties around the ruck area against them.

As for the usual crowd in the Northern Hemisphere it will be interesting to see how Ireland get on this World Cup. Scotland are completely Jekyl and Hyde and regardless of some decent results just aren’t good enough. Who knows with France! I don’t think the team themselves know what they’ll be like when they cross the white line.

As for England it’s Wales or Australia assuming we get out of the group. At times we looked good with the ball in hand but mistakes and penalties will cost us against the better teams (as they have done under the Eddie Jones system). I’d actually prefer to play Australia than Wales as its more important for the Welsh to beat England than it is to win a World Cup.

Of the RWC games I’ve seen so far NZ and Ireland look the better sides so far. Still early days and the conditions/jet lag will no doubt be playing a part for England.

As for the coverage.... the whole ‘coaching’ piece in the studio with the presenters in socks and a group of ‘colts’ or similar pretending to ruck/tackle was pretty laughable. They’ve tried the NFL style computer stuff so maybe they felt dramatics/improv was the next new thing?!

Don’t mind watching it, can’t stand the fans though, they can’t get through a sentence without mentioning football, grinds away at them that the working class sport was and is vastly more popular/successful.

Hard to look past New Zealand as usual but the gap isn’t as big as usual between them and the rest so they could lose a one off game.

Ireland losing today was a stand out performance of the World Cup. Japan are a sneaky team, they look like nothing but will catch you out. The rest of the tournaments start feels like the hors d'oeuvres to the rest. I'm sure some Taffs had a good laugh at Farrell having his nose smeared across his face

International rugby is far more appealing to me than international football.
Have v little interest in club rugby though, and club football is the greatest sport of all.
If I had to choose between an Oxford promotion or a tournament win for England it’ll be Oxford every day.
Think most footy fans would choose club over country but it’s viceversa in rugby.

Ireland losing today was a stand out performance of the World Cup. Japan are a sneaky team, they look like nothing but will catch you out. The rest of the tournaments start feels like the hors d'oeuvres to the rest. I'm sure some Taffs had a good laugh at Farrell having his nose smeared across his face

Certainly the first big upset of the competition so far. I’m personally pleased that Wales beat Australia as I’d much rather we played the Aussies in the knock out stages (if we were to top the group).

Scotland had a decent game the other day to be fair. Perhaps one of the first teams to properly play to the slippery conditions and keep the ball close a little more.

Not finished yet but maybe Scorland wish the weather had saved their embarrassment!!

I am a big Japan fan at the moment! Nothing makes me laugh more than Scots complaining

Scotland would have got more points if the game had been called off
blimey! :oops:

does that result mean the Scottish ruby side will be upholding their National habit (in sporting team events) of heading home after the first stage?

I am a big Japan fan at the moment! Nothing makes me laugh more than Scots complaining

Can't agree with that sentiment as I'm married to one.

She says she's happy they at least got to exit the tournament on merit, and not on a technicality.

I did like the comments that Scotland were in a roll having beaten Russia and Samoa!!
They managed to heroically underachieve as usual though .

Back
Top Bottom