Local News Royal Mail

Sarge

God like member
postal deliveries have been at best sporadic for a few months now ( certainly in OX3 ) , similar delays across many OX postcode areas too .... IMO the delays were always likely to manifest themselves when the powers that be took the bizarre decision to close the main sorting office in Oxford and send all mail for Oxford to Sw*nd*n for sorting, before bringing it back to Oxford for delivery ... latest on the debacle from OM

It's not just Oxford.
Spoke to our postie last week and he reckons 40% of his office are on the sick or jumping ship to other jobs as their walks are expanded and the loads made bigger.
Sure there are a few post people on here who might have the inside view?

Signed up for a new bank account online (Lloyds) on the 1st Sept and did the switch facility.

The switch is being done on Tuesday and I’ve not had my online banking activation letter or my new bank cards!

I could technically be left unable to access my cash!

Lloyds say all documents and cards should have been delivered by now!

Last edited:
I wonder what will happen to RM?
A large amount of the post I receive now is junk mail.
I am.not sure how it can continue in its current form?

I wonder what will happen to RM?
A large amount of the post I receive now is junk mail.
I am.not sure how it can continue in its current form?
We all now write fewer letters and maybe apart from greetings cards, send very little by letter post.
RM Parcel deliveries are split between itself and Parcel Force.
Unless there is a complete overhaul, I can’t see how our daily postal service can continue.

I would go and collect our post from the delivery office, but it’s now only open during stupid times, like 0900-1200 5 days a week and 1000-1600 one day

Royal Mail have made so many cost cutting decisions they are running it into the ground on purpose. They don’t care about the staff and that has shown in the amount of posties that have left the company (me included). Due to working conditions they aren’t getting many new recruits in which means rounds aren’t going out for weeks or days at a time.
My old round hasn’t gone out for over 2 weeks.
The only things they will make sure goes out are special deliveries and tracked items as that is what the bosses get their bonuses for.

It needs the government to get involved to sort it out or one of the oldest institutions in this country will go to the wall.

And they lie like Donald Trump.
A Tory on our local council (to whom I am incidentally vehemently opposed) got so fed up with not having any post for three weeks and his wife missing a hospital appointment that he took a reporter from the local rag with him and met with our RM manager. This guy came out with all the flannel about how they'd had a lot of staff turnover but were actively recruiting new posties as fast as they could and everything would be fine in a couple of months. The rag ran that story but the councillor decided to call RM's bluff and had a mate of his apply online for a job as a new postie. He got an email straight back saying there were no vacancies in our area.
I suspect our RM manager is now "working from home".
That doesn’t surprise me at all. The managers in Royal Mail are shocking and only care about themselves. They will lie, manipulate number of failed rounds and bully staff.

I would also note that if you go to your local sorting office, you can request to get your post and they have to give it to you as long as you have ID proving you live at that address.

Privatisation of vital public services going as well as usual then.
Absolutely! Things like the postal service and rail ways should go back to the government.

A open return train ticket from Manchester to London is £369.40. A return flight from Manchester to London is half the price! The government then wonder why people still use their cars more than public transport.

Privatisation of vital public services going as well as usual then.
Same as the NHS, prison service, local authorities, benefits etc etc. Cut funding and the 'business' (which like the water and rail companies should really be part of the national infrastructure) can then be declared 'uneconomic' and flogged off to a mate of the oligarchs at the top of society. Who will then get as much cash out as quickly as possible whilst investing as little as possible, meaning the service will degrade even further and the cost of using it will increase.

Tried to get a hip replacement on the NHS recently? Because of the pain they were in and the length of the waiting list they were quoted, two of my relatives have had to go private and pay - to private health companies of course. Meanwhile the rivers and seas are full of s**t pumped out by the water companies because they have spent too much on dividends and management fees to have enough left to maintain (never mind improve!!) the infrastructure, foodbanks are now seen as a 'normal', free dentistry is increasingly hard to access in many areas and prices for everything have rocketed in comparison to most peoples wages. I really hate this government.

Absolutely! Things like the postal service and rail ways should go back to the government.

A open return train ticket from Manchester to London is £369.40. A return flight from Manchester to London is half the price! The government then wonder why people still use their cars more than public transport.
At least the government that sold RM off reinvested the money it got for it so that the country benefitted in other areas. It’s not like it sold it all in the middle of a full decade of austerity, while also meant failing to borrow during a period of record low interest rates. Otherwise we would be properly fucked around about now.

Tried to get a hip replacement on the NHS recently?
My mum’s on the list. Haven’t got the energy to get into the details but it’s a disgrace. I’m desperately trying to get her to drop her “I’ve paid in all my life so I’m bloody having it” nonsense and just get it done privately. She can afford it; I can afford it; we as a family can afford it.

As a country, we had that opportunity very recently but the public inexplicably rejected it.

I have muted most of the politics threads on this forum because it's not something I particularly want to spend my leisure time discussing - but I'll just say that the majority of the problems in this country can be pinned on the government and the absolute f*cking idiots that consistently vote for it.

Same as the NHS, prison service, local authorities, benefits etc etc. Cut funding and the 'business' (which like the water and rail companies should really be part of the national infrastructure) can then be declared 'uneconomic' and flogged off to a mate of the oligarchs at the top of society. Who will then get as much cash out as quickly as possible whilst investing as little as possible, meaning the service will degrade even further and the cost of using it will increase.

Tried to get a hip replacement on the NHS recently? Because of the pain they were in and the length of the waiting list they were quoted, two of my relatives have had to go private and pay - to private health companies of course. Meanwhile the rivers and seas are full of s**t pumped out by the water companies because they have spent too much on dividends and management fees to have enough left to maintain (never mind improve!!) the infrastructure, foodbanks are now seen as a 'normal', free dentistry is increasingly hard to access in many areas and prices for everything have rocketed in comparison to most peoples wages. I really hate this government.

"Conservative +12"

Back
Top Bottom