Roma v Oxford

OX11yellow

Seems amazing that we beat Roma 2-0 in Rome in the Anglo Italian Cup.

Basic details below. Was it played in the Olympic Stadium, I cant remember. Crowd must have looked a bit sparse if it was.
I do remember asking in the supporters club if they were doing any trips and was given a price list - way beyond a 17 year olds wages !!

Att: 4653
Season: 1972/73
Manager: Gerry Summers
Team: Roy Burton,Dick Lucas,John Shuker,Dave Roberts,Nick Lowe,John Evanson,Keith Gough,John Fleming,Derek Clarke( Geoff Bray ), 2Hugh Curran, Colin Clarke

Seems amazing that we beat Roma 2-0 in Rome in the Anglo Italian Cup.

Basic details below. Was it played in the Olympic Stadium, I cant remember. Crowd must have looked a bit sparse if it was.
I do remember asking in the supporters club if they were doing any trips and was given a price list - way beyond a 17 year olds wages !!

Att: 4653
Season: 1972/73
Manager: Gerry Summers
Team: Roy Burton,Dick Lucas,John Shuker,Dave Roberts,Nick Lowe,John Evanson,Keith Gough,John Fleming,Derek Clarke( Geoff Bray ), 2Hugh Curran, Colin Clarke
24310FED-3DA7-4DA7-A7EB-B9A6B4121110.png

I think we still failed to get out of the ‘group’ stage though, didn’t we?

Didn't the result there inspire us to go and beat the Scum on their patch for the first time slightly afterwards? Think we also played Bologna that season IIRC.

Didn't the result there inspire us to go and beat the Scum on their patch for the first time slightly afterwards? Think we also played Bologna that season IIRC.

No - we won at the County Ground 3-1 in February 1973. Hughie Curran hit the third that day.

Curran scored twice in Rome too.

No - we won at the County Ground 3-1 in February 1973. Hughie Curran hit the third that day.

Curran scored twice in Rome too.
Ah thanks, just looked on Rage Online, the game away to Bologna was in February, must have been that game around the Swindon game.

We are in illustrious company - one of only 4 English teams to beat Roma in Rome.

I think I remember Nigel Cassidy complaining about the Italians tactics and rough treatment in one of these Anglo Italian games.
Super cass was a favourite of mine at that time a great entertainer.

I think I remember Nigel Cassidy complaining about the Italians tactics and rough treatment in one of these Anglo Italian games.
Super cass was a favourite of mine at that time a great entertainer.

Italian tactics must've been exceptionally rough, as Cass' wasn't adverse to putting himself about a bit, proper, he was a good old fashioned centre-forward,if memory serves Cass had long hair and Mexican style tash .... those were the days when shoulder charging opponents was a near art form (among other then popular practices outlawed in current times)

Memory cells aint at their best today, I can recall an incident when football was still a mans game, when an opposing teams player ran 20-30 yards full pelt at our keeper who had hold of the ball, and , at speed, shoulder charged our keeper AND the ball into the back of the net ,. I think it was at the London road end? And the goal was given!..... I keep thinking it was scum's Don Rodgers on Jimmy Barron? but am very probably wrong on the opposition and the players involved. I can vaguely recall the incident, but I am not too certain about the details:confused:

Nigel Cassidy was in his element in that game at the manor,,I am sure that the Italian defenders had never come across like super cass

My father was posted in Cyprus at the time of the match in Rome. After almost two years of not seeing United I would have loved to have gone. Dad investigated RAF flights there and actually found one. Unfortunately there were no return flights back to Akrotiri. As it was also my A level year, he wasn't too keen on me missing too much lesson time. Often wondered, if I got there, would I have been the only Oxford fan in the Olympic stadium?

Super cass, great player who’s the inspiration for my username.

Blimey Nick Lowe from Kennington, was my coach when I played footie, now lives in Australia or did a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom