Robinson's post-match interview

JG may of beat his man 4 times but he still got the ball in the box. Problem was that no-one got on the end of those balls. Apart from the one striker, the only other player who pops up in the box is Henry and he was taken off.

From where I sit in the North Stand, Graham failed to get past his man once all game, the rest of the game, he tore the Posh defence a new one!.

JG may of beat his man 4 times but he still got the ball in the box. Problem was that no-one got on the end of those balls. Apart from the one striker, the only other player who pops up in the box is Henry and he was taken off.

From where I sit in the North Stand, Graham failed to get past his man once all game, the rest of the game, he tore the Posh defence a new one!.

Graham was bobbing and weaving as he always does, but how many time outside of set pieces did he deliver?

Personally, I think we should focus on cut backs as that plays to our strengths, but you can hardly lambast KR if the players fail to act on his tactics.

I know there is an argument around coaching etc, however Graham has crossed plenty in previous matches

From reading this thread, sounds as if KR's interpretation of Graham's contribution today was lamentable. How can a manager read a game so inaccurately? You do wonder whether KR's ability as a manager can be trusted, especially given his signing history here and his penchant for openly criticising individual players. Motivation? Hardly.

Think KR wanted the ball in the box quicker but JG got the ball in the box but too slowly which meant more defenders were back and more bodies in the way of shots etc

KR is the first manager for years (although I wouldn't class Pep as a manager) that I'm finding difficult to give my full backing, he has done it before but I just cannot believe how he lays into players who have just busted a gut for his team, there were so many worst performances out there. Rather than looking internally at the appalling tactics, i.e. not having a focal point up front to feed off of these clearly talented tricky wingers. To pick on one player when to be fair the whole team was pretty mediocre at best, really bad management. Especially when that particular player was the best player on the pitch.

Message to KR and those posters who are criticising JG for not putting the ball in first time. If JG is only on the pitch to put crosses in then play him on the right wing not the left, he's right footed FFS!!

Edit: Just to add, how many times has Henry ballooned a shot or cross miles over when hitting it first time with his un-favoured foot? How many times does Hanson make a very simple pass down the line look incredibly difficult by launching it out for a goal kick (and that's with his favoured foot!! :) )

Oh! ..and when JG played for us under Mapp, how often did he get the ball into the box when playing on his correct side? I seem to remember him creating plenty, It's obvious KR doesn't know how to get the best out of these players. If Graham was a prolific goalscorer then I can understand him playing on the left and cutting in but he's not.

Occasionally it would be nice to see the wingers swapping sides.

Last edited:
did they also not want to play for him against Barnsley, Pompey and Sunderland

same old same old on here after a loss

This was the point I was making.

Lose and the fans analyse every word and intonation of the manager’s post match comments down to finest detail. Win or at least pick up a commendable draw and suddenly nothing is said. Even with some of the verbal diarrhoea that KR comes out with even after good results, I find that a bit inconsistent from our fans.

As said, I think some of what he said was fair. We can gush over the forward play of Graham and Whyte all day long. They both have a great forward thinking, positive mindset but both are not exempt from criticism. If JG was instructed to deliver more into the box and didn’t do it, his positive forward play is being let down by the final delivery. I think KR deserves to call him out on that.

Against Sunderland JG was super but at times did hold the ball for too long too. Admittedly we do need to be creating options for him and that’s best deployed by Henry and Brannigan presenting themselves to shoot from the edge of the area and Mackie/Sinclair to be a target in the middle.

You can knock the ball into the box all day long but there’s f**k all in there to finish the job , still waiting for the experienced front man
Of which failed to materialise in the last transfer window .

When I heard KRs post match interview, after some reflection, I did think he was right on Graham. It was a pleasure to see JG have the full back out skilled, but what end product did he produce after that?

The common message seems always to be that we aren't doing on Saturday what we are doing all week in training. We are so one dimensional - so many set pieces come to nothing but just keep trying the same things. Our goals to corner ratio has to be the worst in the football league? The "love train" worked well for England but we don't even try it. Bereft of new ideas - running around in circles beating the same man 4 times - the coaches clearly aren't having any impact. The players aren't buying it.

We had everyone in their box - including Eastwood - for that corner at the death
Brannagan’s flag kick sailed over all of them - it just summed up our delivery all afternoon

As usual Robinson is selective in his comments. He carefully leaves out the fact that Graham had to take the extra touch as there was nobody of any use in the area to cross to and he had to wait or shoot himself. The extra touch is due to Robinson's abject failure to sign even an average forward.

What did KR say out of turn!?

He said he was embarrassed. He said he laid in to the team...just as we all feel. He said we didn’t play with the intensity of previous matches...we didn’t.

He said we didn’t cross enough as trained...Graham wanted to beat his man 4 times.

I don’t see what was wrong with what he said

It's more the fact that he appeared to report them all as absolute uncontrollables, for which he has no accountability at the coaching / management level.

Plus there was a great deal of what we call in the industry "pressure of speech", verging on "word salad". I was actually concerned for his health listening to him.

'We were the better team' - no and again I say no we absolutely were not.

'We didn't have a cutting edge' - this from the man who has overseen two transfer windows and failed to sign a striker.

'We worked on things all week and did the opposite of these' - ineffective training regime then.

'Jordan wanted too many touches and didn't get enough crosses in' - latest player to be publicly thrown under the bus.

The man is deluded and I really fear we are going to get relegated.

Apart from the goal, in what way were Peterborough better than us? I thought we matched them and were arguably the better footballing side.

We didn't have a cutting edge, but how many times did we have a chance to shoot or make a final pass that didn't happen? That is down to the players.

We don't know what the training was, but if a plan is put together and the players do not deliver then it is their fault.

Jordan did have too many touches and not enough crosses. There may not have been good options, but this is maybe what was worked on. Early crosses into the box for Sinclair to get a touch to. Or pulling back for Henry or Brannaghan.

Jordan Graham is an honest professional and would not be hurt by an honest assessment.

It is unbelievable that those who are quick to criticise everything that happens at the club get so sensitive to our manager doing the same.

It's more the fact that he appeared to report them all as absolute uncontrollables, for which he has no accountability at the coaching / management level.

Plus there was a great deal of what we call in the industry "pressure of speech", verging on "word salad". I was actually concerned for his health listening to him.

I now essentially view KR as a bit of a sales man. Lots of words, good meaning at the heart of it but pretty convoluted and jibberish at times that you need to sift through for the true message.

I don’t think he said anything controversial yesterday. KR had a game plan/strategy for yesterday that they then worked on in training. The expectation is then to execute as I assume they did vs teams higher up.

What did KR say out of turn!?

He said he was embarrassed. He said he laid in to the team...just as we all feel. He said we didn’t play with the intensity of previous matches...we didn’t.

He said we didn’t cross enough as trained...Graham wanted to beat his man 4 times.

I don’t see what was wrong with what he said
The second goal scored by Henry against Pompey came about by getting to the bye line and pulling the ball back to Mackie without too many touches and from there it was rolled to Henry to score. Yesterday I felt several times we had too many touches For me virtually the best chance we had was when Whyte skinned his defender and rolled the ball back towards Henry who unfortunately completely missed the ball.
I like Graham he is a skilful pacey winger but I think unfortunately he had too many touches at times yesterday.

I’ve stopped listening to Robinson’s post match interviews.

Win, lose or draw I don’t find them insightful, I get the passion, but it’s just a man high on emotion and at times denial.

Apart from the goal, in what way were Peterborough better than us? I thought we matched them and were arguably the better footballing side.

We didn't have a cutting edge, but how many times did we have a chance to shoot or make a final pass that didn't happen? That is down to the players.

We don't know what the training was, but if a plan is put together and the players do not deliver then it is their fault.

Jordan did have too many touches and not enough crosses. There may not have been good options, but this is maybe what was worked on. Early crosses into the box for Sinclair to get a touch to. Or pulling back for Henry or Brannaghan.

Jordan Graham is an honest professional and would not be hurt by an honest assessment.

It is unbelievable that those who are quick to criticise everything that happens at the club get so sensitive to our manager doing the same.
I think a draw would have been fair. But I think they managed the game better and the big plus for them was a class finish from a class striker at this level. Sadly we haven't had one of those all season!!

Doesn’t a decent manager find the most efficient way to win with the squad he has at his disposal? Ferguson has been brought in until the end of the season to push Peterborough over the line to promotion, I assume, by any means necessary. They came and bullied their way to three points yesterday - job done. Any moaning from us about it is tears in the playground I’m afraid. We need to toughen up as we needed the points as badly as they did but didn’t fight hard enough for them - and that doesn’t mean blatant cheating but you can play to the limits. Even the top teams in the premiership are no saints. Nobody would complain if we adopted shithouse tactics from now until the end of the season and started picking up wins. Too bad it’s not pleasing on the eye, needs must at this point of the season. Not many teams pick up points by playing champagne football in February on bobbly cutting up pitches.

Back
Top Bottom