Robinson - Worth a new contract?

• Thread starter Deleted member 142
  • Start date

Is Robinson worthy of a new contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It would be interesting to hear from those who were (and probably still are) adamant that Robinson isn't good enough.

He was criticised for player recruitment in the summer, but with Sykes, Kashi, Sinclair and Graham he got January right.

He was criticised for being too one dimensional, but in recent weeks/months he has shown that he can adapt the team before and during games to get the right results.

He was criticised for having unhappy players, training ground fights etc, but we look more of a team than we've seen in a long time.

He was criticised for results, and then results against decent sides. But we've now had 3/4 of a season in playoff form with results against the likes of Portsmouth, Barnsley, Sunderland and now Charlton, as well as all the other sides in form that we've beat.

He was criticised for his touchline antics and what he said in the media. But surely this was/is just the actions of someone who really cares about the club and shows the same frustrations that we all felt?

He was even criticised for a 'dream team' written on a mystic whiteboard!! But even @RyanioBirdio must now find this criticism a little childish?!

I'm not saying that Robinson is flawless, but like with MApp, you have to give people time and I think KR is more than rewarding the faith Tiger had in him.

I don’t think anybody ever had an ‘agenda’ as such against Robinson. People’s opinion of a manager are pretty much all based on what they see on a Saturday afternoon ( or Tuesday evening etc)

I’m the first to admit I was in the Robinson Out camp when things were going badly, not because I had anything against the fella personally, simply because I thought we needed to go in a different direction. Sometimes the feelings of frustration and helplessness can lead to abusive comments which are unfortunate. I’d like to think that I never got personal with my comments but there were times when feelings ran high.

Now that things are going well I couldn’t be more happy for Robinson, I hope it continues. After all, by his own admission, we’re still short of being where the club aimed to be at the start of the season. But, of course he has to carry on next season, there’s a sense of something being built now, it would be ridiculous to consider breaking it all up and starting again from scratch.

Lessons have to be learnt all round, then hopefully we’ll all move forward in a stronger position

He was even criticised for a 'dream team' written on a mystic whiteboard!! But even @RyanioBirdio must now find this criticism a little childish?!
No, because the further away he got from his ‘dream team’ the better we’ve done. He got it horribly, horribly wrong and horrifically misjudged who his best players were for a very long time. If you kept turning left and getting lost and then eventually turned right and got to where you needed to be, you wouldn’t sit there and go “Well it’s a bit childish you had a go at me for turning left all those times isn’t it?” I never had a go at him for daring to say what he thought his best side was, I had a go at him because of how horrifically bad he had so clearly got it and the fact that he just refused to learn. He built a team of crocks and became obsessed with his own plan being the only thing that could ever work, and we all paid the price for it.

But here’s the thing - he deserves a lot of credit for what he’s done recently. He has swallowed his pride, picked the right players to play in the right positions, tightened us up, allowed us to be more ‘savvy’ in terms of game management and generally done what needed to be done at the expense of his own fantasy. He has done the right thing, just as he did at the back end of last season when we put some wins together to get out of trouble, and nobody can deny him credit for it. I’m not going to sit and sulk that he’s put some great results together - this is my club and I want us to win every game. But it’ll never change that he got it so badly wrong, and perhaps it’s for the best that he did, because now he seems to have accepted the reality of what needs to be done. Will he continue this into next season or will he chuck it all in again as he chases his perfect version of the beautiful game? He already did this between last season and the first half of this one, so time will tell. But if he’s finally accepted that you really can’t beat round pegs in round holes playing sensible football, it’s better for everybody. I commend him for being big enough to take a step back and realise that things had to change, and for doing so under such pressure. Just as I congratulate the players for finally digging in and finding some sort of backbone.

I must say, though, that the only ‘mystic’ thing here is our billionaire owner swooping in to fund our promotion push. Think you’re being a bit unfair on the poor white board there.

Its all history Ryan. Whats done is done and its no good looking back at the past as you cannot change anything. Just be pleased that KR has "moved on" and we are now playing some great stuff, thanks to the players he has brought in since.

Respect to KR for making the right signings in Jan, (not so in the Summer) and respect should be given to Tiger for standing by his man, though I suspect this was by default, as the ltd company didnt have the funds to terminate KR contracts even if the board had wanted to etc...That said if KR and SD have had a top 8 budget, this season has to be marked down "disappointing"

A good new interview with Robinson on ifollow, basically a review of the season. Near the end he touches on where he wants the squad to be going forward: young, saleable assets who ‘have their moment’ with Oxford before being sold on. He makes an interesting point that in the past we’ve had one - maybe two - of those types of player at any one time, but we need to have more at one time. He thinks we currently have six in that bracket - Dickie, Shandon, Gav, Sykes, Cameron, and maybe Nico I’m guessing..? - so half a team pushing to be capable of playing in the championship and beyond, but achieving something with us first. I get the impression that recruitment this summer will be very much more along the same lines, just my guess though.

I read earlier some very good posts on here regarding Rob Cundy and other good young players that slipped through the net. If only we’d had a manager with Robinson’s attitude to good young talent when the likes of King, Ricketts etc were coming through, instead of Atkins. Before people start jumping on that comment, pointing at the success that Atkins had with us, I agree to a point, but a club like us needs sustainability, and that comes with nurturing and making the most of good young talent, and maximising your assets.

How about they progress with us, you know a club with ambition to be in the championship just a thought

Some will, but there will always be a bigger, richer more exciting prospect. And there nothing u can do to stop that, even for the likes of Chelsea and man utd

I'd have to say, that's one of the best, if not the best, interviews Karl has done.

I think he's really grown into the job, and it seems he now "gets" us and what Oxford United is all about (interesting little reference to OUFC's "firm in there!). I'm feeling quietly confident of much better times ahead and feel we are now recovered from the disastrous Pep Clotet "project" and see similarities with the end of MApp's first season. And we all know what he did in his second season!

I'd have to say, that's one of the best, if not the best, interviews Karl has done.

I think he's really grown into the job, and it seems he now "gets" us and what Oxford United is all about (interesting little reference to OUFC's "firm in there!). I'm feeling quietly confident of much better times ahead and feel we are now recovered from the disastrous Pep Clotet "project" and see similarities with the end of MApp's first season. And we all know what he did in his second season!
I agree. I feel the club has finally found its identity under Robinson. The first time I’ve felt that since Appleton left.

How about they progress with us, you know a club with ambition to be in the championship just a thought
My understanding is that’s exactly Robinson’s point. Good young players achieving something with us before being so good we can’t hold on to them, as opposed to selling them on before we see their full potential with us. No matter how successful we become, we have to accept there will always be clubs that are bigger and richer.

I think it’s fair to say Brentford are still a selling club despite establishing themselves in the championship

No, because the further away he got from his ‘dream team’ the better we’ve done. He got it horribly, horribly wrong and horrifically misjudged who his best players were for a very long time. If you kept turning left and getting lost and then eventually turned right and got to where you needed to be, you wouldn’t sit there and go “Well it’s a bit childish you had a go at me for turning left all those times isn’t it?” I never had a go at him for daring to say what he thought his best side was, I had a go at him because of how horrifically bad he had so clearly got it and the fact that he just refused to learn. He built a team of crocks and became obsessed with his own plan being the only thing that could ever work, and we all paid the price for it.

But here’s the thing - he deserves a lot of credit for what he’s done recently. He has swallowed his pride, picked the right players to play in the right positions, tightened us up, allowed us to be more ‘savvy’ in terms of game management and generally done what needed to be done at the expense of his own fantasy. He has done the right thing, just as he did at the back end of last season when we put some wins together to get out of trouble, and nobody can deny him credit for it. I’m not going to sit and sulk that he’s put some great results together - this is my club and I want us to win every game. But it’ll never change that he got it so badly wrong, and perhaps it’s for the best that he did, because now he seems to have accepted the reality of what needs to be done. Will he continue this into next season or will he chuck it all in again as he chases his perfect version of the beautiful game? He already did this between last season and the first half of this one, so time will tell. But if he’s finally accepted that you really can’t beat round pegs in round holes playing sensible football, it’s better for everybody. I commend him for being big enough to take a step back and realise that things had to change, and for doing so under such pressure. Just as I congratulate the players for finally digging in and finding some sort of backbone.

I must say, though, that the only ‘mystic’ thing here is our billionaire owner swooping in to fund our promotion push. Think you’re being a bit unfair on the poor white board there.

I forgot about this post, but not only has Robinson turned out pretty well, but we also have our mystic billionaire or two swooping in. Time will tell if they will fund our promotion push, but I'm feeling a lot more confident backing Robinson, Tiger, Erick and co. to take us forward than I am relaying on the hysteria of those with an axe to grind.

Thought I heard someone hiding in the bushes and trying to look through the letterbox of my house the other night. Someone must be having withdrawal symptoms. Perhaps I’ll look into that restraining order. Some people are simply deranged.

Well done to KR on finally changing everything he did to get us into a mess, and for realising that he had so badly misjudged the squad and far too many of our best players - especially the likes of Ruffels, Brannagan and Whyte. Thank God we had some injuries so that he didn’t get his way and actually allowed them onto the pitch. Not sure a new contract is deserved for still finishing a few places lower than his budget dictated, mind.

Toodles.

I am still anti-Robinson.

Just find him to be too much of a all-about-me boorish shouty mcshoutface. Got to win more than he has if you are going to be like that in my humble opinion.

To be fair I shouldnt think he gives a monkeys what i think anyway.

Good day.

He could definitely do with some media training!

His reputation for bringing youngster through appears to be attracting good prospects, e.g. the lad from Chelsea/Wolves announced today.

As a match day manager I'm still a little way off being totally convinced.

Thought I heard someone hiding in the bushes and trying to look through the letterbox of my house the other night. Someone must be having withdrawal symptoms. Perhaps I’ll look into that restraining order. Some people are simply deranged.

Well done to KR on finally changing everything he did to get us into a mess, and for realising that he had so badly misjudged the squad and far too many of our best players - especially the likes of Ruffels, Brannagan and Whyte. Thank God we had some injuries so that he didn’t get his way and actually allowed them onto the pitch. Not sure a new contract is deserved for still finishing a few places lower than his budget dictated, mind.

Toodles.

You had a conversation at the start of the season with KR. Back at the start of the season his views of players would be very different to what it ended up being. Breaking news...that is the same with most managers up and down the country. You have players who think will let you down and you have others who you think you can rely on and end up letting you down. KR did make mistakes at the start of the season but he also corrected those mistakes.

You are starting to look a bit childish by holding this grudge over Robinson for his opinion of players at the start of a season.

No he’s not worth a new contract. I think if we are in the top half challenging top end of table,or around playoffs then yes a new contract should be offered.

No good giving him a new contract, and then under achieved with whatever budget he’s given. Wait until Xmas.

Toodles.
Is that the Brannagan, Ruffels and Whyte who played 52, 51 and 45 games accordingly? Yeah, Robinson really sidelined them!!! And thank God we got some injuries and stripped away the likes of Eastwood, Hall, Baptiste and arguably Holmes. We'd have struggled with those in the team!!!

You can make jokes about stalking as much as you like, and try to make this personal. However, I'll simply respond to stupid posts by pathetic posters and call them out on them.

Back
Top Bottom