Robinson - Worth a new contract?

• Thread starter Deleted member 142
  • Start date

Is Robinson worthy of a new contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fair point DenisSmithWig.

Starting to plan in January would have been ideal, but how often is that a possibility? KR and the club still had a decent amount of time.

For me a decent next season would be flirting with the play offs and 1 cup run.

If the budget is cut then I guess I’d review that, but also the club should be aspiring to outperform the budget.

So much depends on the summer transfers. We’re likely to need to replace Nelson and I don’t think it would be a surprise if at least 2 others were sold.

Whichever way you look at it KR and the club will have no excuses. They’ve got the rest of this season to plan and as they have said they have ‘learnt plenty of lessons’. It will be an interesting Summer.

Id also like to see Jonte Smith. I’d certainly give them some game time, to see how they cope, and that can only benefit them in the long run. Once they have had a taste of league football, they will want it more. So it’s down to them to work hard and take advantage of the opportunity given to them.

Well let’s face it last summers recruitment was a disaster, but players like Ricky Holmes and Samir Carruthers we’re his signings. They came here unfit and injury prone.

I’d say Jamie Mackie was another, but lately that signing looks to of paid off.

I don’t think Sam Smith was a KR signing, and I don’t believe Jamie Hanson was either.

Gavin Whyte and Mark Sykes, are two very good signings by whoever. They will be BIG players here.

The recruitment needs to of started already. Identifying targets to improve the squad, and being in contact with agents. Then as soon as the window opens we are poised to unveil them. Get them in early, and get them used to the surroundings, and gel with what we already have squad wise. Let’s start next season on the front foot for a change.
What makes you think this?

KR piled a tonne of pressure on the lads. In particular Hanson by saying he was the most expensive player he has ever bought.

The best we can aim for under current ground strictures is where Appleton left us. As Playoff contenders. Robinson can get us there as well.

He doesn’t deserve a contract extension though - yet.

I’m interested to see how we finish the season. Personally I think we will do well.
That is a good question, after the recent run peoples views on KR have changed for the good on the most part, if we don't do very well in our run in even though we look safe, what will peoples views then be of KR?
If KR gives the youth players some experience and we start losing games regardless how it happens, will that affect moral inside the camp and might effect 1 or 2 players decisions on staying or not.

His comments about asking for more responsibility in making signings sounds like he didn't have as much say on the players they got in the summer than he wanted. He suggests he had more responsibility in the incoming transfers in the new year which, if that is the case then I think he can be trusted to bring in the right players in.

That is a good question, after the recent run peoples views on KR have changed for the good on the most part, if we don't do very well in our run in even though we look safe, what will peoples views then be of KR?
If KR gives the youth players some experience and we start losing games regardless how it happens, will that affect moral inside the camp and might effect 1 or 2 players decisions on staying or not.

We might lose certain games due to lack of experience if youth lads play but I'd still expect maximum effort from players who want to stay and are after a new deal.

I can see certain players slowly getting phased out if they aren't in next season's plans such as Nelson (sold), Henry and a few other loan players.

We might lose certain games due to lack of experience if youth lads play but I'd still expect maximum effort from players who want to stay and are after a new deal.

I can see certain players slowly getting phased out if they aren't in next season's plans such as Nelson (sold), Henry and a few other loan players.
Is Nelson sold?

Given all bar one of our remaining games is against sides who still have something to play for i think it would be direspectful to others who could be affected by us playing a perceived weaken side.

I know results have improved and there's a feel-good factor because we have avoided the drop. But personally I didn't think Robinson was good enough before the run we are on - and I am still not convinced. He'll be here next season of course (that was always going to be the case) but he has got to avoid as chaotic a summer and anywhere near as bad a start as last year. So no new contract yet - he has got to prove that he has learned from his mistakes. The first thing he has to do IMO is to do as much of the summer business as early as he can - and that means spending what money we have in the right areas.

Last edited:
Im going to sound a note of caution here.

It seems like we are firmly in the "job done" camp of self congratulation and chilling out/prepping for next season.

I would rather wait until we are methematically safe.
Strange things have happened.

But- my biggest concern remains an admin event before the end of the season. I have no strong reason to believe this- just a horrible feeling that there is one more twist in this season. If that were to happen, points on the board would be key.

Im going to sound a note of caution here.

It seems like we are firmly in the "job done" camp of self congratulation and chilling out/prepping for next season.

I would rather wait until we are methematically safe.
Strange things have happened.

But- my biggest concern remains an admin event before the end of the season. I have no strong reason to believe this- just a horrible feeling that there is one more twist in this season. If that were to happen, points on the board would be key.

Even if an administration event were to occur before the end of this season, it would be too late for the punishment to be applied this season. The deadline was 5pm, March 28.

His comments about asking for more responsibility in making signings sounds like he didn't have as much say on the players they got in the summer than he wanted. He suggests he had more responsibility in the incoming transfers in the new year which, if that is the case then I think he can be trusted to bring in the right players in.
He had plenty of say over the vast majority of our summer signings. Source: Karl Robinson directly to my face in his own office in September.

I will give him enormous credit for swallowing his pride in recent times and playing the right team in the right way to get results, rather than persevering with his idealist methods that saw us spend virtually the entire season up to our chin in crap, but there’s no credit to be found in rewriting history to suit him like this. I don’t like that level of insincerity, and that’s one of my biggest problems with the guy overall. I wish he’d just be more honest, because nothing in life deserves respect more than that.

Anyway, forget KR, isn’t DF out of contract this summer? If so I wonder what will happen there. Will he retire, and if so, will we replace him?

just out of interest, why do you think Henry will be gone? is he not contracted til 2020?

Back
Top Bottom