Manager/Coach Robinson. Stay or go?

Should Robinson stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We've had 2 poor years, and Faz and Chrissy Allen have been as much part of that as Pep was, and now Robinson and Derry are. To get rid of Robinson without someone coming in would be the same as leaving Mickey Lewis in the hot seat! That is why, I think Robinson staying is no worse than him going, and we save the compensation for bringing in the players we need in January.

For all the stay sayers, until when?

I voted after Saturday but it was probably in anger, I would actually give him until the end of this week, 2 more games and a minimum of 3 pts.

We've had 2 poor years, and Faz and Chrissy Allen have been as much part of that as Pep was, and now Robinson and Derry are. To get rid of Robinson without someone coming in would be the same as leaving Mickey Lewis in the hot seat! That is why, I think Robinson staying is no worse than him going, and we save the compensation for bringing in the players we need in January.

But him staying is taking us back down to league 2.
You might be right and keeping him might be no worse than getting rid but we have to roll the dice.
Currently we have nothing to lose!

Not going to happen. He’s got Tiger in his pocket and the safest job in football

Our only hope is that Robinson gets his head out of his #rse, learns to get some humility and gets the right people in around him pretty damn quick. I think he’s drowning at the moment.

Last edited:
But him staying is taking us back down to league 2.
You might be right and keeping him might be no worse than getting rid but we have to roll the dice.
Currently we have nothing to lose!
We have the compensation payments to lose if we get rid of him, and Derry too. I would guess that this would amount to several hundred thousand that is also needed for players in January. If we could say that getting rid would see an immediate upturn in results then it would be worth paying them off. But I don't see Faz and/or Chrissy making any difference.

I'm so close to being KR out but not quite yet, mainly because DF or SD would be put in place as interim and I have no confidence Tiger is capable of making a decent reasonably quick appointment. I have no idea if there are clashes between players and the coaching team but there is something wrong with the way players are being treated. Norman goes from not playing too badly but then making an error against Wallsall to being nowhere near the team for Man City despite being allowed to give his non league to playing Man City interviews in the Guardian and Rad Oxford who for some reason played it not long before kick off when they knew the squad. If the Manager is going to criticise players in public which I don't like at all can he have a pop at Holmes as well for being so greedy and going missing for large parts of the game.

We have the compensation payments to lose if we get rid of him, and Derry too. I would guess that this would amount to several hundred thousand that is also needed for players in January. If we could say that getting rid would see an immediate upturn in results then it would be worth paying them off. But I don't see Faz and/or Chrissy making any difference.

Chrissy would, and should never have been removed from the coaching staff like I said at the time, but I bet he’s glad he’s not part of that lot.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Excuse #47. We need a psychologist apparently. No further comment needed.

The pay off will pale into insignificance if we get relegated which would look more likely if we only accumulated another 7 points in that period (14 games, half a point per game).

Plus, I wouldn’t trust KR to make the right acquisitions required or Tiger to fund them.

I don’t think KR’s man management skills are good when things are going wrong, but I reckon we’ve got more chance if a new manager came in and worked with these players until January, and he would have a better chance of knowing how to address the situation too, so I would make the change sooner rather than later.

5 points minimum from the next three games or time to go me thinks.

Last edited:
“I think if you spoke to any of these players they would tell you they’re coached better than anyone in the league.”

But are they managed as well as they’re coached? Two very different things.

Without wanting to unnecessarily slate KR, as I remain a supporter of him at this stage and just about in the ‘stay’ camp (though my support is growingly tenuous and a failure to win at least one of the next two would almost certainly change that)...

But the latest Oxford Mail interview this morning reads like a cringeworthy David Brent/The Office sketch. It does nothing more to appease any doubts than his ‘KR excuse bingo’ post-match interviews!

KR comes across as pretending everything is okay whilst the ship goes down all around him. I think this could blow up in a big way.

After the away match at Portsmouth I told my other half we needed a sports psychologist in to work with the team urgently. They looked terrified and had no belief. We know there is ability there, we saw it against Burton and Sunderland. How many opposition managers have said that they won despite us being the better team? That potential needs to be underpinned by a real self-belief, desire to win and an understanding of the strategic game-plan. These last 3 are really where the manager makes the difference, and so far he has fallen short. Yes, get a psychologist in as I fear the morale has gone beyond anything KR can redeem. But look at why they have got to this point and get KR to consider his management approach.

Whether or not we think he should go is one thing, but surely Robinson is looking at himself and wondering what he can get out of it now.

If he hangs on and we go down his ability to pop up in another well paying job diminishes. If he goes now, blames it on the structure at the club (something which although isn't the reason we are where we are, could quite easily be seen as acceptable to those not familiar with the club) he will most likely get himself another job at this level. For all the "I'm not a quitter" noise you get from managers these days, sometimes you need to look at the long game. For his career he'd be better cutting his loses, getting out of the club and us attempting to rebuild from the mess he has got us in.

“I think if you spoke to any of these players they would tell you they’re coached better than anyone in the league.”

But are they managed as well as they’re coached? Two very different things.

Fundamentally the issue here..... By all accounts for example Steve McClaren is regarded highly as an excellent coach but he struggles to convert it to management.
You only have to look around you at good coaches/management, these are the people who know how to get the best out of the players whatever form they are in. They are calm/steely and have the air of 'I'm the boss', they know when to put a arm around a player(Modern footballers these days!) while tactically aware and commands respect.

Mourinho in his early days at Chelsea and I love Klopps/Pep Guardiola's management (complete package) we know where Mourinho has been for a few years hence why Man U are where they are, look at the squad!

These are Prem I know but it was what MAPP had, I hate harping back but we need somebody in that vein..

KR/Derry are in my opinion Windmill waving ADHD types, they have more arguments with the oppositions bench Ref/Lino's & 4th Official than anything else!
Now I have played a bit of football in my time and have come across these people, switch off everytime and when you played all you could hear is fracas on the touchline, does you no good and you hate coming to work..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom