Manager/Coach Robinson. Stay or go?

Should Robinson stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gofish2

I say go. Extremely poor record, poor tactically and not media smart. Young manager that he may be he is clearly not what is required and I have no faith. A great shame because I have turned from wanting him to do well but am tired of his references to luck, injuries, referee decisions, and the sky not being the right shade of blue.
Yesterday he said 'there's nothing more I can do, I've tried everything', from the horses mouth, recognition that he can't do the job.
I do hope he does do well, but realistically that won't be Oxford.

I say go. Extremely poor record, poor tactically and not media smart. Young manager that he may be he is clearly not what is required and I have no faith. A great shame because I have turned from wanting him to do well but am tired of his references to luck, injuries, referee decisions, and the sky not being the right shade of blue.
Yesterday he said 'there's nothing more I can do, I've tried everything', from the horses mouth, recognition that he can't do the job.
I do hope he does do well, but realistically that won't be Oxford.

Well youve changed your tune when i suggested signing a 33 yr old Mackie on a 2yr deal was daft thing to do you said something like "thats why your not a manager" cheers pal

• React
Reactions: Ian
The questions I'd pose.

1. If KR was sacked, do you trust Tiger to bring the right person in and do it in good time to not let the team slide further?

2. The new manager would face the same challenges that KR has now: long-term injuries, no chance of new signings until January and the same squad we have now. What would a new manager do differently with the hand they've been dealt?

3. There are options before issuing the P45. KR can change the system, shuffle players in and out of the team and hope on a few injured players coming back. He has got to do these though.

Go. I do not enjoy having this bloke as the face of our football club.
He’s not a good manager, he never has been and probably never will be.
I think (hope) tiger will have his replacement lined up before he gives him his P45.

Pep Clotet's OUFC win record (over 33 games) was 33.3% vs KR's (22 games) is 31.8%.

KR has managed slightly less games in total but allegedly "knows the league" and had time to assess the players before having a full pre-season to assemble a capable squad. The Catalan didn't have this luxury.

Not sure I would pull the trigger just yet but my chamber is loaded...

Stay
The injury to Eastwood is a hammer blow. Likewise Carruthers.
Few teams of our size can cope with losing such pivotal players.
You might also argue that the injury to Nelson robbed us of a stellar centre-half.
Far from Kr being stuck in his ways he’s actually made big decisions - bombing out McMahon, Playing Baptiste, dropping dickie.
I fail to see candidates available who are as good as Kr. I also suspect we’re not a particularly attractive proposition at the moment given the off-the-field issues.
That’s not to say Kr can not improve. I think he needs to go back to basics - and fast.
Defence and attack have to be drilled, drilled, drilled. It’s mind-numbing stuff. You stand there. This is our pattern of play when we go forward. Run the channels of necessary.
Kr is possibly guilty of seeing the quality of his ‘3’ behind the striker and think they’ll create enough doing what they want. Nope.
We don’t actually create gilt-edged chances. We rely on one of those 3 to bash one in from 15 yards or more or a bit of technical brilliance. It’s why the argument over the missing striker is pretty futile. Even if we’d have got one of his top targets we’d still be misfiring because zilch is created for the ‘1’
He has to go back to basics. Boring but essential. He has to create a Siege mentality. Above all he has to finally recognise we’re in the brown stuff. All of this he did last term. And we were ok. Repeat and we stay up

I cannot recall ever being totally enamoured with KR but can remember thinking he spoke well in pre-season and sounded confident and confidence building. There was always the nagging sense that something was amiss as the predicted players arriving were nowhere to be seen.
It has become clear that KR cannot help himself from speaking out about things that are not set in stone and thus makes himself look foolish.
His post match interviews, given when he is clearly still flooded with adrenaline, are embarrassing and very poor man management, naming players as having made mistakes is not conducive to loyalty or productive.
What Tiger is striving to build, and I am still in the dubious camp, needs success on the pitch or at least the appearance of success to come. What we have now is a loud mouthed, uncouth yob shouting at all and sundry. He will have to go. To recall old quotes, he does not fit the DNA of OUFC or what OUFC may become if all the talk is to be believed.

Stay
You might also argue that the injury to Nelson robbed us of a stellar centre-half.
Far from Kr being stuck in his ways he’s actually made big decisions - bombing out McMahon, Playing Baptiste, dropping dickie.
I fail to see candidates available who are as good as Kr. I also suspect we’re not a particularly attractive proposition at the moment given the off-the-field issues.
That’s not to say Kr can not improve. I think he needs to go back to basics - and fast.
Defence and attack have to be drilled, drilled, drilled. It’s mind-numbing stuff. You stand there. This is our pattern of play when we go forward. Run the channels of necessary.
Kr is possibly guilty of seeing the quality of his ‘3’ behind the striker and think they’ll create enough doing what they want. Nope.
We don’t actually create gilt-edged chances. We rely on one of those 3 to bash one in from 15 yards or more or a bit of technical brilliance. It’s why the argument over the missing striker is pretty futile. Even if we’d have got one of his top targets we’d still be misfiring because zilch is created for the ‘1’
He has to go back to basics. Boring but essential. He has to create a Siege mentality. Above all he has to finally recognise we’re in the brown stuff. All of this he did last term. And we were ok. Repeat and we stay up
Off the field issues?!

Stay
Sorry but although I cant disagree with some of what you say factually, we need to also remember he heads a 3 man management team with DF and SD alongside. If between them they can't sort this out something is very wrong, and it's Robinson's responsibility.
9 games, 1 win 2 draws 6 losses. GD-9, 5 points from a possible 27.
Sitting 23rd . He's coming close to Pep Clotet and David Kemp territory.

Sorry but although I cant disagree with some of what you say factually, we need to also remember he heads a 3 man management team with DF and SD alongside. If between them they can't sort this out something is very wrong, and it's Robinson's responsibility.
9 games, 1 win 2 draws 6 losses. GD-9, 5 points from a possible 27.
Sitting 23rd . He's coming close to Pep Clotet and David Kemp territory.

KR does head up a 3 man management team, so would we look to get rid of all 3? If so, how much would that cost us and would that have a big impact on what we could spend in January?

As Hawky says, Eastwood and Carrathurs would be a big loss to most teams in this league. We have been beaten by Barnsley, Portsmouth, Fleetwood and Wallsall - all in the top few of the League. Yes, Accrington and Coventry were poor results, but a little luck could have seen us get something from both games and things would be much brighter.

We need to knuckle down and get through this poor period both on the pitch and on the terraces. Going into panic mode helps no one.

Rotten luck with injuries, a first pre season/proper transfer window with a new owner who is only in the country every so often leads me to give KR the benefit of the doubt. he is still young and talks a bit too much when he should keep schtum - but hopefully he will learn, let's give him time. Press the panic button of were still bottom 3 in November (which i don't think we will be) not now :)

Heck I have been hoping he was going to turn things around but it is looking pretty bad at the moment. If I was Tiger I would be saying to KR you have a month to get the club into mid table. Looking at the fixtures this is very doable. If we are still in trouble near the end of October I would hope Tiger shows him the door. I also hope that Tiger has a far better idea of who to appoint next as a new manager has to be in place well before the transfer window opens.

KR can still do it though. I hope he finally swallows his pride and changes the system to something more effective. Also with returning players we may be a little better placed to perform. There is no way he should be allowed any in before Jan, in all likelihood it would be an utter waste of cash. Plus in Jan if I was Tiger I would want a serious talk with KR regarding his targets.

Moving forwards irrespective of KR staying or leaving we need to look long and hard at our recruitment. The off season was an utter shambles. My guess was we were over ambitous with our targets and did not do enough due dilligence on the managers wish list. We have too many loans in key areas and have bought the odd old player on the way down which has just never worked for us. Next time we need more experienced not too old players from our level or below added to the great young talent which we sign. This is a genuine building for the future strategy rather than the destructive rebuild each season we have seen recently.

I really dont get the comments which are saying there is no point changing the manager as they cannot bring in players until January so it will not make a difference. How many clubs have changed manager and have seen an upturn in fortunes without bringing in players? If it is the right manager of course it’s worth it. It isn’t a huge gamble to change either as it’s not as if we could be doing any worse.

Is there any connection with the fact that the two teams lying 23rd and 24th in League One (against their own and most other expectations) are both teams with reasonably large fan bases and both have at their helm rather arrogant self-publicists who each think they can do no wrong

Oh in answer to the original post, much as I would like to say go as I think he is too stubborn to change, I cannot see the point unless we already have a sensible replacement lined up waiting in the wings

Stay or go, twist or stick, in the absence of a fourth stand, I’m sitting on the fence.

I really dont get the comments which are saying there is no point changing the manager as they cannot bring in players until January so it will not make a difference. How many clubs have changed manager and have seen an upturn in fortunes without bringing in players? If it is the right manager of course it’s worth it. It isn’t a huge gamble to change either as it’s not as if we could be doing any worse.
Equally, how many times have teams changed managers with zero effect? What if we got shot of KR, DF and SD at expense of being able to bring players in during January? And who would we bring in as the new manager? In the same way people argue that out of contract players are not good enough or they'd have been snapped up, who is currently available that would guarantee immediate results?

Michael Appleton would be the dream ticket here, and I don’t think it would be unrealistic in him coming back. With DF still here, and CA doing well with the Youth. If Tiger can offer him a lucrative deal, and a large January transfer Budget. Then I can see it happening.

You don’t miss what you’ve got, until it’s gone. We played some amazing football with him at the helm. Fast flowing counter attacking football, and with some great young players. There is some very good young players here that he can look at and work with, but he’s a builder rather than straight in and get results immediately type of manager.

I don’t give a s**t about who did better in terms of results, and there track records. That fact is football is an entertainment business. MR Appleton made me feel entertained, and everytime I turned up to the Kassam or at an away venue. I knew I was going to get value for money. The best football I’ve seen for a long time with his leadership.

Just hope Tiger gets rid of Gobbo Robbo, and Derry, and get the club moving upwards, because I don’t see this changing anytime soon.

It's perhaps unfair and unhelpful to have a thread like this. It's hardly getting everyone behind the team.

That said, unless things drastically improve, I'll be saying "WOW" if KR is the manager come the end of November.

Back
Top Bottom