Manager/Coach Robinson. Stay or go?

Should Robinson stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Was Kluivert really his preferred choice though? Or was that just media speculation. I thought I read somewhere that Tiger said Robinson was always his preferred candidate.
He is hardly going to say Robinson was his second choice lol.

Was Kluivert really his preferred choice though? Or was that just media speculation. I thought I read somewhere that Tiger said Robinson was always his preferred candidate.
He didn't even interview Kluivert who famously refused to travel to London. Whilst Kluivert may well have been on Tigers shortlist there us no evidence that he was first choice. In fact KR was quite probably top of the list on paper with his experience of league one and experience of promotion from league 1.

Well I reckon that since I have been following OUFC through thick and thin, mostly thin, we have had no less than 27 managers. I'm sure some statto will quibble but I make it Thompson, Turner, Saunders, Summers, Brown, Asprey, Greaves, Jim Smith, Evans, Lawrenson, Horton, Denis Smith, Crosby, Shotton, Kemp, Wright, Atkins, Rix, Diaz, Talbot, Patterson, Wilder, Lewis, Waddock, Appleton, Clotet and now Robinson.
Most of those were actually pretty good blokes. The big difference with Robinson is that he just looks and sounds like an arseh*le on the touchline and in front of a microphone. Tiger ought to be playing him videos of Maurice Evans; now he was my idea of a manager and a gentleman.
KR out please.

Well I reckon that since I have been following OUFC through thick and thin, mostly thin, we have had no less than 27 managers. I'm sure some statto will quibble but I make it Thompson, Turner, Saunders, Summers, Brown, Asprey, Greaves, Jim Smith, Evans, Lawrenson, Horton, Denis Smith, Crosby, Shotton, Kemp, Wright, Atkins, Rix, Diaz, Talbot, Patterson, Wilder, Lewis, Waddock, Appleton, Clotet and now Robinson.
Most of those were actually pretty good blokes. The big difference with Robinson is that he just looks and sounds like an arseh*le on the touchline and in front of a microphone. Tiger ought to be playing him videos of Maurice Evans; now he was my idea of a manager and a gentleman.
KR out please.

Yeah that Rix was a real charmer.

I disagree with the we have a good group of players and he should get more out of them thing. We have too many who are not up to it just not good enough and some who have potential but are not up to it yet.

Now he has assembled this shower granted but as unification said on the match thread Mapp was allowed to pay off the previous dead wood and his own poor signings.

Robbo seems to of been backed although I do wonder how late in the day the funds were made avaliable to him. I cant see much changing with this lot until jan the poor bloke is tearing his hair out 2 up top may help but will probably leave us more exposed somewhere else.
Agreed. I can't understand the posts that claim we have signed some good players in the close season.
Whyte is the only definite positive.
Carruthers broke down instantly and not even in a tackle, I'd be surprised if we get 3 consecutive games out of him at any point.
Holmes is a good fotballer but needs regular injections in his back and seems to be doing just enough to show the world that he has ability, but without being a team player. Eyes on a future employer.
Norman has energy and desire but, truth be told, does not have a lot of ability (his main selling point is that he is better than McMahon).
Browne seems to have been "discouraged" by the inevitable attention that a youngster with promise will attract from League One enforcers.
Hanson, McMahon, Mackie, Smith and Garbutt don't even rate consideration on the evidence so far.

KR out please.
Don't we have to let each manager adopt their own style that's got them the job in the first place? Maurice Evans was very much a quiet, thoughtful and measured gentleman and I doubt anyone on this forum who remembers him would have a bad word to say about him.
But let's just suppose this forum existed in 1988, our relegation year from the 1st Division, there would have been people on here saying he's too quiet, shows no passion, can't motivate the players etc.
Two of the most successful English managers in my lifetime have been Brian Clough and Bob Paisley - I'm not sure that telling Clough to act like Paisley would've worked (or vice versa for that matter)

Don't we have to let each manager adopt their own style that's got them the job in the first place? Maurice Evans was very much a quiet, thoughtful and measured gentleman and I doubt anyone on this forum who remembers him would have a bad word to say about him.
But let's just suppose this forum existed in 1988, our relegation year from the 1st Division, there would have been people on here saying he's too quiet, shows no passion, can't motivate the players etc.
Two of the most successful English managers in my lifetime have been Brian Clough and Bob Paisley - I'm not sure that telling Clough to act like Paisley would've worked (or vice versa for that matter)
Good post but the truth is nobody would give a toss how Robinson conducted himself if the results on the pitch were going better. They’re the bottom line and the reason we’re having this poll.

Whether KR stays or not, saying the stupid stuff about the stadium for a populist vote was not the cleverest thing he's done, he should keep his nose out of the tangled web of the stadium and put all his thoughts on to getting us 3 points on the pitch, they have just prodded a hornets nest..

I'm not ITK but I reckon he has the next three league games to demonstrate his ability to adequately manage the resources he has available to him. If we are bottom 4 with a quarter of the season gone there I suspect he'll get the push. Just hope we avoid Ian Atkins to steady the ship ?.

As with a point made earlier in the thread, who would Tiger likely bring in to replace? Keep in mind, his preferred candidate was Kluivert and the other names linked with the job all seemed to have risks associated. KR was, if anything, the safer choice, a manager who knew the League, had success at this level. It has been a s**t show so far. Do I blame KR entirely? No, but he's the easy target and a fool to himself. As I said in the match day thread, there are a lot of factors playing out, either way I think another loss at Wimbledon and his position becomes largely untenable.

What concerns me is... Who else is out there?
Is Gary Bowyer (ex Blackpool manager) working? He did an excellent job there, assuming we cant get Appleton back.
This is Robinsons team, it certainly doesnt look cheap to me, its his formation, its him who went into the season with Obika and Smith as our strikers and its his awful interviews where he makes himself look more and more incompetent as each one passes.

I think Tiger will give him time.

Im not sure I agree about the injuries being as big an excuse as is made out.

Eastwood - yes, big miss in such an important position.
Carruthers - Henry is a pretty capable replacement (when he wants to be)
Hall - Whyte has been excellent in his position

I'm not ITK but I reckon he has the next three league games to demonstrate his ability to adequately manage the resources he has available to him. If we are bottom 4 with a quarter of the season gone there I suspect he'll get the push. Just hope we avoid Ian Atkins to steady the ship ?.
I agree. 3 more league games. That would make 12. If we get less than 5 points from those then send him and Derry on their way.
If Thohir takes over in October they may wait until then. The rumour is that he will sell his Inter shares in October and then come on board here. Maybe have his own manager lined up.

I agree. 3 more league games. That would make 12. If we get less than 5 points from those then send him and Derry on their way.
If Thohir takes over in October they may wait until then. The rumour is that he will sell his Inter shares in October and then come on board here. Maybe have his own manager lined up.
I wish Tiger had kept all this quiet until it was signed and sealed. We could end up with another ‘What if..?’ moment.

I agree with yellowbow and outsidethebox in the position we are in playing wise the club does not need the distraction of another take over and all the uncertainty it brings. First things first lets sort out the performances on field before getting all worked up over what may or may not be. If KR needs to go it has to be done well in advance of Jan to get someone new in who has time to access the situation and strengthen as required (they will need the resources to do so also). Leave it too late and we could be relegated no matter what happens. For me the club needs to act at the end of October at the latest if they still need to.

I think Tiger will give him time.

Im not sure I agree about the injuries being as big an excuse as is made out.

Eastwood - yes, big miss in such an important position.
Carruthers - Henry is a pretty capable replacement (when he wants to be)
Hall - Whyte has been excellent in his position

The impact of him being out has been catastrophic in my opinion. Not saying our young loanee is a bad keeper but that Eastwood is that good we would have picked up points against Accrington, Coventry and Walsall and all of a sudden our season looks very different.

The impact of him being out has been catastrophic in my opinion. Not saying our young loanee is a bad keeper but that Eastwood is that good we would have picked up points against Accrington, Coventry and Walsall and all of a sudden our season looks very different.
I'm not sure about this maybe we would have picked up another few of points (its almost impossible to say). However we would still be at the wrong end of the table and we still would be struggling to score goals. I think we all agree our problems lie much deeper than just a keeper. Even the keeper issue KR has had a big hand in. He re-signed Shearer for what reason who knows and he has signed Eastwood's replacement.

I would argue irrespective of injuries we would be no where near a play off place, we could however been nearer lower mid table than we are.

Stay. Build some foundation. Endlessly changing managers achieves nothing. Anyone remember the last recruiting processes. I still have nightmares about the 0-3 at Rochdale while reading Jake Wright’s endorsement of Mickey Lewis. Stand firm, Tiger, up your game Robinson.

Back
Top Bottom