Robinson is a clown

I am not sure as to the similarities with Appleton. MA came in at the very, very end of the summer transfer window with the new owners and was heavily dependent on loans in his first season whilst simultaneously clearing out all the dead wood post-Cambridge. Despite that, he succeeded in getting Oxford to 13th in the table and the following year, once he had had a proper summer transfer window, we were promoted and reached the final at Wembley. KR had 10 matches last season to look at the team and then a full summer window to buy what he wanted – if he didn’t get what he wanted, one has to assume that either the owner wouldn’t stump up the money or KR couldn’t persuade the player to come to Oxford – so it could even be suggested, possibly unfairly, that he is in the same place as MA at the start of what was his promotion/cup final season.
Lots of loans until he got the squad he wanted, sounds familiar? Struggled in his first season? Sounds familiar but we were a league lower.
In MApps first season in league 1 we struggled to begin with and he had at that time 5 transfer windows to get the team he wanted.

If fans aren’t prepared to give KR a chance to turn things around like MApp was given and at the same time go on about how great MApp was and it was all rosey then they are being very fickle.

Robinson is trying to build long term success at the club.

Lots of loans until he got the squad he wanted, sounds familiar? Struggled in his first season? Sounds familiar but we were a league lower.
In MApps first season in league 1 we struggled to begin with and he had at that time 5 transfer windows to get the team he wanted.

If fans aren’t prepared to give KR a chance to turn things around like MApp was given and at the same time go on about how great MApp was and it was all rosey then they are being very fickle.

Agreed. Although I fear he may currently have one arm tied behind his back, as at the moment the funds don’t appear to be forthcoming.

Get Singha and/or another investor on board, then KR will truly be able to bring in the better players that were on his wish list.

At the moment I get the feeling he has been instructed to do his best with limited funds, with a promise of more money in the near future.

The next 2 games will be crucial. If we lose both and perform badly the rot could really set in. I know it is early in the season but we do seem particularly shambolic and the manager needs to take the blame for that.
Thankfully Accrington sold their star players Jackson & Donacien to Ipswich over the summer. As long as we keep Kee & McConville quiet we should do ok.

Yes I heard that Anthomic. If true that surely shows KR in a very bad light. We should send Garbutt back pronto unless he shows more appetite on Tuesday night - in fact I dread him playing on Tuesday.

Yes I heard that Anthomic. If true that surely shows KR in a very bad light. We should send Garbutt back pronto unless he shows more appetite on Tuesday night - in fact I dread him playing on Tuesday.
What do you think he was earning or what do you think would be a fair weekly wage for him?

Out of interest what do you think a fair weekly wage would have been for Richardinho? I'm curious to see what people think he was worth a week.

He wasnt worth much to us this season due to his age Riccy was ok for a year. I got stick for saying Mackie was a bad signing due to his age goona be useless to us next season let alone this one. Hate these short sighted signings garbutts no use to us next year even if he could defend this term. If we d of stuck ruffles in last year we would have our own very good lb by now.

Out of interest what do you think a fair weekly wage would have been for Richardinho? I'm curious to see what people think he was worth a week.
Well if Garbutt is on 27000 a week at Everton Riccardhnio should be on 150000

I think 2000 a week would have been about right

Also we really should have tried harder for Kane but his wage demands must have been beyond us

Well if Garbutt is on 27000 a week at Everton Riccardhnio should be on 150000

I think 2000 a week would have been about right

Also we really should have tried harder for Kane but his wage demands must have been beyond us

Ok, fair enough. I hear he was on 4k and we offered him less.

I'm not saying garbutt is better/worth more only that 4k a week was too much and he was rightly offered less.

Add in sides that constantly sack managers usually end up at the bottom end due to continuous change. We need to wait until 12-15 games in unless catastrophic. Performances need to improve but I had us down for very little from the first 3 games due to the opposition.

Robinson has said that it will be a couple more weeks until the side is anything like he wants it. Personally I have my doubts, but we have two home games (against opposition that surely he would admit are beatable), an away game against Newport (again you would think we could give them a game), away at Sunderland and (after a match in the doesn't matter cup against some kids) a home game against Coventry (who we have already beaten once).

There are surely three league matches and a cup match that are winnable there? If the results aren't a considerable improvement over that period then I think he will be in trouble.

Agreed. Although I fear he may currently have one arm tied behind his back, as at the moment the funds don’t appear to be forthcoming.

Get Singha and/or another investor on board, then KR will truly be able to bring in the better players that were on his wish list.

At the moment I get the feeling he has been instructed to do his best with limited funds, with a promise of more money in the near future.

Limited funds? If this is the squad we Robinson gets on limited funds then if expect a championship side with extra funds!

Why was it a shambles then?

Because it has left us with a team who dont have a clue how to play together, are unfit, cant defend for toffee, and cant score. A good preseason delivers the above. So not really a great success.

I think all the talk about Robinson going is way to early .We need to get behind the team, we make Oxford utd not owner ,manager, lets us show we are fully behind OUR team ,by no mean am l happy with what is gone by so far .But l am a yellow till l die .Massive game Tuesday COYYS.

It is in a sense, as someone else pointed out, a pretty academic argument comparing the two because, whatever the truth, none of it is of the slightest help to KR in his present predicament but just as final comments…

It cannot be argued that KR has not had a full summer to recruit what he wanted so he does/should have ‘his team’ and the job should now be one of gelling the parts together – MA didn’t have that luxury until the start of his second season and had to make do and mend with what he could find on the loan market. Summer windows are when the main business is done, not January.

KR had the choice to sign permanent players or loans and he chose loans for his most significant players (albeit for the good reason that he presumably couldn’t afford to buy players of that quality permanently) – MA didn’t have that option when he arrived as the summer window closed so soon after his departure.

I was never actually on MA’s back because he convinced me early on that he had what it took and would come through – if people harp back on how great he was, it is because he was actually very good and we went on to play great football under him – but no-one is suggesting that KR does not have a similar goal of building the same long term success, nor that it will take time to get all the new players working together, nor that he has not been helped by some key injuries.

But at the same time as stressing that he should be given reasonable time to prove that he can turn it round, he does need to demonstrate that he has got a grip on the situation as the direction of travel is not reassuring and the team with his new players are struggling to find their feet. Hopefully, we will get a positive result on Tuesday against Accrington which will be the start of an upturn that will consign the current problems to a bad memory.

As mentioned above I think comparisons between MApp and KR are not fair. Both took over when the club was a mess, true, but in different ways. Pep destroyed the squad with poor signings so the first team was a mess when KR came. However when MApp took over not only was the team a mess but behind the scenes was also a shambles. IL has been running the club on a shoestring while he got rid, and things like scouting was a complete joke. MApp therefore I think had inherited a worse situation.

MApp started mid summer, by which point only one player was signed, (and he had limited help identifying who to sign). KR had the end of the season to evaluate his squad and a whole summer to bring in whoever he wanted. Again KR has had things easier.

What interests me is that both managers started playing a fixed system which blatantly did not work (or at least KR has this season). It took a far while for MApp to realise thism but when he did we improved. I hope that KR does the same otherwise we could be in trouble.

There are a few things that truly worry me about KR so far this season.
- The imbalance in the squad. Not enough striking options. No left back cover. Lack of holding midfielders (not signing Doughty was a massive mistake).
- Playing players who are not in form or maybe not fit. There is no way Mackie of Garbutt and possibly Mahon should be in the team at the moment. It is painfully obvious so why is it not KR.
- There are players not playing up to their ability. We know the likes of Nelson, Dickie and Brannagan (ok so the last one may be to do with the following point) are better than current form.
- KR seems to be stuck with this lame system, and it may be difficult to change due to lack of strikers.

We have gone massively backwards over the summer so I am not sure what KR is building. We are quite rightly bottom of the league and the opening league games have been an utter shambles. So far I do not see a work in progress I see a team with a number of serious problems to fix. KR to survive has to address this quickly. He has to get the formation and team selection a lot, lot better and make us cometative again. If we still do not have any points on the board come Sunderland, and if we are not playing a lot better, I would be asking major questions over KR's future.

Last edited:
If the injured players were fit and available, what would the scores of the first three league matches have been? Surely the reason for having a squad is to cover injuries with almost as good if not the same quality of player, this does not appear to be the case at OUFC.

If the injured players were fit and available, what would the scores of the first three league matches have been? Surely the reason for having a squad is to cover injuries with almost as good if not the same quality of player, this does not appear to be the case at OUFC.
That's never going to happen at any level, and no team will have like for like backup throughout the squad. Whilst injuries, loss of form and suspensions are to be expected, we are unlucky to be losing Carrathurs and Eastwood with only 90 minutes of the season played, plus Henry and Hall also picking up knocks in the first few games.

As for being without injuries, Smith, Holmes, Henry and Hall would give us much more of an attacking threat than we have been able to put together so far this season. They would also push the opposition wingers back and ease the pressure on our full backs.

None of this excuses how bad we have been so far, but just demonstrates that key players in key areas can make a big difference.

If fans aren’t prepared to give KR a chance to turn things around like MApp was given and at the same time go on about how great MApp was and it was all rosey then they are being very fickle.Hall

Football fans have always been fickle. What dont you get? If KR doesnt produce, then he's gone. Simple fact of life. Supporters will not tolerate failure......Chairmen likewise. Let's see how it shapes up.
That's never going to happen at any level, and no team will have like for like backup throughout the squad. Whilst injuries, loss of form and suspensions are to be expected, we are unlucky to be losing Carrathurs and Eastwood with only 90 minutes of the season played, plus Henry and Hall also picking up knocks in the first few games.

As for being without injuries, Smith, Holmes, Henry and Hall would give us much more of an attacking threat than we have been able to put together so far this season. They would also push the opposition wingers back and ease the pressure on our full backs.

None of this excuses how bad we have been so far, but just demonstrates that key players in key areas can make a big difference.

Hall picks up another injury? Well there is a surprise. He was never near fit enough for Fleetwood and I am astounded KR played him. Wandered around staying out of trouble. Never tracked back, never made any runs. In his defense he had nobody supporting him. Having said that, very, very disappointing. We have a mountain to climb.

Back
Top Bottom