Robinson is a clown

That is a very odd statement. Those who are concerned that KR is leading us down the wrong path are worried because they think he is quite possibly going to CAUSE failure, which is exactly the opposite of 'craving' it.

Presumably you are backing him because you think he will bring us success?

I can’t speak for Ox4Eva but I presume it’s because we don’t have much choice! KR is here, is our manager and he looks like he’s here to stay. All we can do is back him in our attempt to stay up.

Ordinarily, I don’t normally buy the argument ‘keep the manager because what would a new person do differently?’ argument, but on this occasion I do. KR really is playing the best XI we have available every game and I’m not sure what a new manager would offer at this stage. They would still be laboured with the same exhausted, threadbare squad and unless it was an instant firing/hiring, they would minimal time to assess what they have in order to understand what they need to bring in.

I’m far from happy with our league position and KR should (and I think is) shoulder much of the blame. I did mention my concerns at the start of the season too as I thought we looked worryingly short of firepower. However, KR is here and is still head coach. For that reason, he has my backing until he’s relieved of it or resigns.

I get what you are saying, Unification, and you won't see me barracking the manager on match days (at least not so loud that he can hear!). And yes, you can't do much about the squad (but we are a few days into a transfer window so you can do something - and he has made a start at that). The question is not how we got into this mess (although the management generally has to carry the can as well as Robinson) but how on earth we get out of it. And if we can't get out of it this season, how can we try to ensure that we don't fall further and harder than is thinkable.
I would argue that given the awful summer transfer dealings, the last thing you ought to do is to give more money to the same bloke. We don't want the same thing to happen: being told we were 'in for' players x, y and z, then getting someone completely different that Robinson has had dealings with before, no matter how suitable they may or may not be! Having said that, we have made two promising looking signings (although one is a loan of course, which limits what else we can do in that way) - and I guess we can hope that a couple of strikers are on the way. Plus a replacement for Nelson? :(
I think we will very likely be relegated under Robinson this season, my concern is that the damage should be limited - and that means NOT panic buying (what will very probably turn out to be) unsuitable short term fixes and giving them 2 year contracts to get them to come. That way lies disaster - if we DO go down Robinson will be sacked and then the next manager will have to deal with the wreckage.
Of course, I could just be being miserable - Robinson could make some great signings and turn it around with us finishing in comfortable mid-table. If that were the case, would you want him making the summer signings?

I’m trying really hard not to jump on the bandwagon of knocking Robinson while he’s down but I do find it odd that he watched Surridge yesterday. Surely he should know all about him by now? I would’ve hoped he’d done all his scouting of players before the window opened so that he was in a position to act fast as soon as he could. The only explanation that I can see is all his targets are falling through so he’s having to start from scratch? Unless he sees an opportunity to get better than his original targets?

I get what you are saying, Unification, and you won't see me barracking the manager on match days (at least not so loud that he can hear!). And yes, you can't do much about the squad (but we are a few days into a transfer window so you can do something - and he has made a start at that). The question is not how we got into this mess (although the management generally has to carry the can as well as Robinson) but how on earth we get out of it. And if we can't get out of it this season, how can we try to ensure that we don't fall further and harder than is thinkable.
I would argue that given the awful summer transfer dealings, the last thing you ought to do is to give more money to the same bloke. We don't want the same thing to happen: being told we were 'in for' players x, y and z, then getting someone completely different that Robinson has had dealings with before, no matter how suitable they may or may not be! Having said that, we have made two promising looking signings (although one is a loan of course, which limits what else we can do in that way) - and I guess we can hope that a couple of strikers are on the way. Plus a replacement for Nelson? :(
I think we will very likely be relegated under Robinson this season, my concern is that the damage should be limited - and that means NOT panic buying (what will very probably turn out to be) unsuitable short term fixes and giving them 2 year contracts to get them to come. That way lies disaster - if we DO go down Robinson will be sacked and then the next manager will have to deal with the wreckage.
Of course, I could just be being miserable - Robinson could make some great signings and turn it around with us finishing in comfortable mid-table. If that were the case, would you want him making the summer signings?

That’s a fair summary and not far off the way I see it. The NL and even more so the NL North are now a graveyard of FL mainstays who have tumbled into the quicksand and can’t get out - Leyton Orient, Wrexham, York, Stockport. Chesterfield are battling relegation in what could be their third relegation in a row. My main worry, if we are relegated, would be arresting the slide immediately and I wouldn’t see KR as part of that at all. I do smirk when I see posters on here bigging up Tiger investing in the training ground and youth set up. Should the unthinkable happen again, those would certainly be shut down or sold off. To ensure the investment in those isn’t wasted, the first team needs to be well set.

We all know KR got it wrong in the summer. He let go of the right people (Pep’s ragtag bunch of mates), but failed to shift the ones he didn’t want and then laboured himself with an imbalance of ineffective signings. Boasting wanting a smaller squad has seen that claim backfire - injuries have wrecked it.

How much of the issue was actually KRs? Did he identify unobtainable targets? Did he foolishly think we were ready by August? Who knows. He claims he’s been hacked but was he really?

He’s in the last chance saloon and has to deliver players who will haul us through to the season to a minimum 20th place. No ifs, no buts. If you get injuries and suspensions, you deal with it. Everyone else has to. If we go down, he goes. If we stay up narrowly, I’d still consider his position.

Last chance for him and probably for his managerial career too.

But the fact is that we have had a number of injuries, and the referees have been awful. We have a threadbare squad and have limited options to select from. What changes will a new manager make?

So the referees have been worse for us than other teams? Desperation to use that as an excuse. We are where we deserve to be in the league.

KR was happy with the budget he was given, he has been publicly positive about it several times. He is significantly underperforming, it really is as simple as that.

Based on our league position, Makeup of our squad, and his outbursts I really can’t see KR being a good long term option for us. He looks like he is struggling, so Tiger should do him a favour and get rid.

If KR stays I sincerely hope he does well for us but just can’t see it. May as well cut our losses now.

Also he said there would be a new striker in the next 48 hours, Oxford Mail article today confirms the opposite.

Now, I’m not naive enough to think getting a transfer over the line is easy and I know how easily they can fall through but, and this is the issue, it’s just another example of a broken promise.

He’s made a lot of claims now and they’ve not gone off, he really needs to learn when to share information and when not to as the more and more he says something is happening the harder it becomes to take anything he says as being honest and realistic.

If asked about new players say you are working hard, say it’s not as easy as you’d hoped, say you are speaking to players and agents... but don’t ever put a timescale on a signing as people will expect this to be completed by then.

I think if there are two more defeats(please not) in the next two league matches then even Tiger may be forced to sack him.
I dont think he has lost the dressing room quite yet................

Maybe its KR himself thats putting these incoming players off

I know for a fact he has watched Shrewsbury and Walsall on two separate occasions I The last month or so. One of which was when they played each other In the checkattade and he said his man only played a brief role or not at all, I can’t remember which!

Maybe they also read this forum and see how unsupportive some of our fans are( not a dig at you).
I wouldn’t say unsupportive but maybe feeling dejected at what’s going on and sayings that don’t tantamount to anything.

Also he said there would be a new striker in the next 48 hours, Oxford Mail article today confirms the opposite.

Now, I’m not naive enough to think getting a transfer over the line is easy and I know how easily they can fall through but, and this is the issue, it’s just another example of a broken promise.

He’s made a lot of claims now and they’ve not gone off, he really needs to learn when to share information and when not to as the more and more he says something is happening the harder it becomes to take anything he says as being honest and realistic.

If asked about new players say you are working hard, say it’s not as easy as you’d hoped, say you are speaking to players and agents... but don’t ever put a timescale on a signing as people will expect this to be completed by then.
Considering he’s been in the management game for a while, he does make some incredibly naive statements about what he’s about to achieve!

He said he was hopeful of bringing in a player in the next 48 hours, not that it was a certainty.

I'm pretty confident we have the Surridge deal tied up it will just be down the to the 2 clubs to tie up loose ends and decide when they announce it.

It's certainly going to be a long transfer window if fans hang off every single word the manager says about players.

He said he was hopeful of bringing in a player in the next 48 hours, not that it was a certainty.

I'm pretty confident we have the Surridge deal tied up it will just be down the to the 2 clubs to tie up loose ends and decide when they announce it.

It's certainly going to be a long transfer window if fans hang off every single word the manager says about players.
I learnt a long time ago not to be that foolish! ?

I learnt a long time ago not to be that foolish! ?

Fun fact of the day: the majority of what a football manager says in the press is usually not what they believe or think. It's just paying lip service to the guy asking the questions.

The problem Wiggy he has a problem in saying a lot of words

Im still backing KR.... but recently have found myself idley googling to see what Michael Appleton's current employment status is (methinks my overly optimistic and stalkerish tendencies need to be kept in check lol)

Im still backing KR.... but recently have found myself idley googling to see what Michael Appleton's current employment status is (methinks my overly optimistic and stalkerish tendencies need to be kept in check lol)
Unfortunately I doubt whether he would come here again as manager

I can’t speak for Ox4Eva but I presume it’s because we don’t have much choice! KR is here, is our manager and he looks like he’s here to stay. All we can do is back him in our attempt to stay up.

Ordinarily, I don’t normally buy the argument ‘keep the manager because what would a new person do differently?’ argument, but on this occasion I do. KR really is playing the best XI we have available every game and I’m not sure what a new manager would offer at this stage. They would still be laboured with the same exhausted, threadbare squad and unless it was an instant firing/hiring, they would minimal time to assess what they have in order to understand what they need to bring in.

I’m far from happy with our league position and KR should (and I think is) shoulder much of the blame. I did mention my concerns at the start of the season too as I thought we looked worryingly short of firepower. However, KR is here and is still head coach. For that reason, he has my backing until he’s relieved of it or resigns.

A new manager would bring fresh ideas, use the players he has at his disposal in different ways, a new impetus, different tactics, maybe with a plan B.
As so often, there would be a new air of optimism, that embraces a new manager.

Back
Top Bottom