Robinson is the man

yellowbow

2018-19 shirt sponsor for Jamie Hanson
I think even KR will accept that his job is at risk.
Tiger's stated vision of OUFC being part of what the world perceives as "Oxford" is hardly going to happen when the team keeps losing and sits down at the bottom of League 1.

I can't see Thai Airlines putting that up as a reason to travel! Nor are Singha Beer going to be too pleased with the image being portrayed.
If KR doesn't get things going in the right direction, and soon, then he will be saying bye bye.
I’m not so sure. Both KR and Tiger have emphasised on several occasions about this being a long term project - I think Robinson said a three year plan or words to that effect. And so far I haven’t got a measure of Tiger at all, there doesn’t seem to be any clues as to how ruthless he’ll be if things don’t go to plan quickly.

I’ve been defensive of Robinson so far but he’s becoming tiresome.

The latest public criticism of a junior player, who’s clearly low on confidence, is unacceptable. Robinson, I infer, believes himself to be a master man-manager, yet, when our on-loan keeper, fresh from the latest batch of non-support from his own fans, picks up the paper today, he will see that Karl believes in public humiliations.

Unbelievably poor man-management and my tide is turning.

Oldham

This could make quite a lot of sense. Bicester has good rail links, is close to M40 and is being developed as a new 'garden city' so there will be real population growth. It's also cheap as chips when compared to a location within the Ring Road.

The Marketing Department could also sell VIP Bicester Village and OUFC Sporting Experience packages to the Chinese market.
You’re forgetting one thing, the daily accident at J9. Half the fans wouldn’t get into the ground until half time 😎

yellowbow

I’ve been defensive of Robinson so far but he’s becoming tiresome.

The latest public criticism of a junior player, who’s clearly low on confidence, is unacceptable. Robinson, I infer, believes himself to be a master man-manager, yet, when our on-loan keeper, fresh from the latest batch of non-support from his own fans, picks up the paper today, he will see that Karl believes in public humiliations.

Unbelievably poor man-management and my tide is turning.
It’s a shame Robinson said the things he did about Mitchell. We now find out that Easty is out for a further 6 weeks so we have to rely on a young keeper who’s probably now feeling a little shell shocked. Robinson was probably put on the spot a bit during the post match interview but, as others have said, maybe he needs to learn to take a breath before speaking. More than once he’s dropped himself in it a little bit with his candidness

I am disappointed with the constant 'haranguing' of players in the media, specifically on radio interviews. I like Robinson but I am concerned that the default position after a poor performance or defeat is to hang players out to dry. We've seen so far this season, most of the back four, notably Garbutt, get a verbal shoeing, we've now had a junior goalkeeper, who has been getting better with each appearance, get both barrels on Sunday.

He was given Sam Smith after months worth of pursuit, yet has hardly featured. Our left back, has lost his place to a utility player. We sent one of our best pre-season players, out on loan to Woking. We seem to have an issue with Tony McMahon who no doubt is upset he lost his place to a superb Cameron Norman - McMahon wasn't even available on Sunday.........?

We seem to be all over the place and I've been a staunch supporter of Karl to date.

However, I'm more concerned with what's happening away from the pitch - our only positive that I see, is an exceptional ticket office staff. I'd be more concerned with a middle-management staff that don't look like they're doing a very good job, let alone a full time one.

Shosho

Next 3 matches will be telling.

- Wycombe
- Walsall
- Wimbledon

That takes us up to the 10 matches most have spoken about.

Ive had some time so been poking around with numbers, quality of chances etc all pretty basic, but from what I can tell:

Walsall are in a bit of a false position, Wimbledon are performing better than the league suggests and Wycombe both with regards to the table and numbers suggests they are performing as expected.

A win on Saturday is looking important for the fans and KR

Leysboy

There was a top coach/manager at the game on Sunday, but unfortunately that ship has sailed. Unless Tiger can back him, and if Tiger was to pull the trigger on KR.

Osleroad

I think even KR will accept that his job is at risk.
Tiger's stated vision of OUFC being part of what the world perceives as "Oxford" is hardly going to happen when the team keeps losing and sits down at the bottom of League 1.

I can't see Thai Airlines putting that up as a reason to travel! Nor are Singha Beer going to be too pleased with the image being portrayed.
If KR doesn't get things going in the right direction, and soon, then he will be saying bye bye.
I would suggest that unless the entire squad were caught drink/drug driving or similar then the only thing that matters is putting the brands in front of the public captive audience and that would include the terrible football TV appearance and I'd rather we won for our playing endeavours not marketing.

I am disappointed with the constant 'haranguing' of players in the media, specifically on radio interviews. I like Robinson but I am concerned that the default position after a poor performance or defeat is to hang players out to dry. We've seen so far this season, most of the back four, notably Garbutt, get a verbal shoeing, we've now had a junior goalkeeper, who has been getting better with each appearance, get both barrels on Sunday.

He was given Sam Smith after months worth of pursuit, yet has hardly featured. Our left back, has lost his place to a utility player. We sent one of our best pre-season players, out on loan to Woking. We seem to have an issue with Tony McMahon who no doubt is upset he lost his place to a superb Cameron Norman - McMahon wasn't even available on Sunday.........?

We seem to be all over the place and I've been a staunch supporter of Karl to date.

However, I'm more concerned with what's happening away from the pitch - our only positive that I see, is an exceptional ticket office staff. I'd be more concerned with a middle-management staff that don't look like they're doing a very good job, let alone a full time one.
Care to expand on what you mean in your reference to 'middle-management' staff? Why do you think they are not doing a very good job?

Genuinely interested..

Manorlounger

I would suggest that unless the entire squad were caught drink/drug driving or similar then the only thing that matters is putting the brands in front of the public captive audience and that would include the terrible football TV appearance and I'd rather we won for our playing endeavours not marketing.
I would rather we win as well!

Well that didn’t last long!
You’re right. It’s interesting how much different his interviews are now and how much his body language and tone have changed.
It’s like there was no pressure on him at the end of last season because it was a win win for him. If we went down they weren’t his players and we were too far gone as a team. When he kept us up it’s all his hard work.
Also Pep was so bad and the players he brought in were so terrible all KR actually had to do was remove all but 1 of Peps signings from the team and play what remained from the Mapp era.
Now the pressure is on. It’s his team and his coaching / management. It was okay to slate Peps players and rightly so. But HE brought most of these players in and they won’t thank him for being publicly singled out.
Even in business a good manager will take responsibility and protect and encourage the team.
I think his recruiting has been on the whole quite good. But there are some missing pieces that need to be sorted out in January.
Is he the man? As per the OP yes at the time. Will he last until Christmas? The next few games will be very important.
One thing, he has been unlucky with injuries and suspensions but time will tell.

Berliner

You’re right. It’s interesting how much different his interviews are now and how much his body language and tone have changed.
It’s like there was no pressure on him at the end of last season because it was a win win for him. If we went down they weren’t his players and we were too far gone as a team. When he kept us up it’s all his hard work.
Also Pep was so bad and the players he brought in were so terrible all KR actually had to do was remove all but 1 of Peps signings from the team and play what remained from the Mapp era.
Now the pressure is on. It’s his team and his coaching / management. It was okay to slate Peps players and rightly so. But HE brought most of these players in and they won’t thank him for being publicly singled out.
Even in business a good manager will take responsibility and protect and encourage the team.
I think his recruiting has been on the whole quite good. But there are some missing pieces that need to be sorted out in January.
Is he the man? As per the OP yes at the time. Will he last until Christmas? The next few games will be very important.
One thing, he has been unlucky with injuries and suspensions but time will tell.
"You know, when they forced Khruschev out, he sat down and wrote two letters to his successor. He said – “When you get yourself into a situation you can’t get out of, open the first letter, and you’ll be safe. When you get yourself into another situation you can’t get out of, open the second letter”. Well, soon enough, this guy found himself into a tight place, so he opened the first letter. Which said – “Blame everything on me”. So he blames the old man, it worked like a charm. He got himself into a second situation he couldn’t get out of, he opened the second letter. It said – “Sit down, and write two letters”."

I believe that KR has been told by Tiger he has until the end of October to turn things around. The report in today’s OM would suggest that all is not well between the chairman and manager. With any funds being held back until the January transfer window adds to this theory. Tiger was not happy on Sunday that’s for sure.

Knowing Oxford we will lose the three league games but dump City out of the cup between the second and third games. That'll complicate things!

Top Bottom