Roberts on loan

Should imagine that’s the end of Roberts’ career at Oxford then.

Have long had a suspicion that he has been given slightly longer on his contract as a mark of respect for the tragedy that he unfortunately experienced in the last couple of years.

He must have been on a relatively small wage so assume that the club were willing to give him more time, but ultimately knew it was unlikely he would be up to L1 standard.

Good luck to him though and, who knows, if he bangs in a load on loan there’s a small chance he might get a new contract, slim though his chances must be.

Should imagine that’s the end of Roberts’ career at Oxford then.

Have long had a suspicion that he has been given slightly longer on his contract as a mark of respect for the tragedy that he unfortunately experienced in the last couple of years.

He must have been on a relatively small wage so assume that the club were willing to give him more time, but ultimately knew it was unlikely he would be up to L1 standard.

Good luck to him though and, who knows, if he bangs in a load on loan there’s a small chance he might get a new contract, slim though his chances must be.

Agree. Good luck to him. MAPP would have let him go. Pep to be fair has given him a chance and has come to the same conclusion. A real shame that for whatever the reason (s) he has not fulfilled his early potential.

Agree. Good luck to him. MAPP would have let him go. Pep to be fair has given him a chance and has come to the same conclusion. A real shame that for whatever the reason (s) he has not fulfilled his early potential.

He blasted onto the scene but sometimes I think you just have to accept that it’s not going to work out here, shake hands and wish everyone the best for future.

There’s a good, raw football in there who has a great shot on him - no reason why he couldn’t work hard and get back up the leagues with the right mentality.

Good luck to the guy.

I think that the ‘work hard’ element may be the problem here. His spell at Oxford City was criticised for not giving it his all.

It’s a move that’s panged with regret. His early appearances showed a lot of promise. From his brace up at Blundell Park to his screamer against Plymouth, he was finding the net for a side that wasn’t particularly good. It’s a shame that it hasn’t materialised into something more here like it has for COD.

His career at Oxford was over a long time ago. It was his poor attitude at Oxford City, and failure to compete at conference south level.

I think it is easy to forget the extent of the impact of certain events on someone's life, especially someone still so young - not just in the immediate and obvious ways, but also much more that goes on underneath the exterior, often more than the even the person themselves is aware. and also their ability to handle other things that go on around them.

I don't know the ins and outs of the last couple of years for the poor lad (and his family of course), but I think it is rash to make judgements on his entire future based on snippets and rumours concerning such things as attitude, workrate and the like - particularly when based at the other end of the internet, rather than being there in training or on loan.

Anyway, my understanding is that Pep is very positive about the lad, and that any loans that have been lined up are more in terms of getting him out there on the pitch to help regain his form, rather than trying to ease him out of the door at OUFC.

So, I would suggest, in this case, it would be better to wipe the last two years from the slate completely in terms of judging how his career will unfold, and go back to the point in his development where he was set to go out on loan to develop his skills in order to cement a regular squad place (as he was just embarking when events took such a desperate turn) , rather than using them to write him off for good.

I may be wrong, but I get the sense that by the end of this season, a good deal of the old James Roberts that we all used to know and love will have returned to the pitches of England, and his future will be looking much brighter....

As he gets older he'll realise he needs to put a shift in and show he is worth a place. Not being a regular shows he isn't the player he thinks he is.
I really hope he works his socks off at Guisely and comes back to us with a few goals and is ready for contention.
If he acts like Billy Big Bollox then he'll be looking for a part time job to supplement his part time football.

there was nowt wrong with Roberts...... until 'the secret footballer' got in his ear, which really wasnt helpful to him

I hope this one month loan sees him come back stronger, hungrier and firing on all cylinders with those predatory instincts we saw from him a few seasons ago.... and challenging for a regular start place

I think it is easy to forget the extent of the impact of certain events on someone's life, especially someone still so young - not just in the immediate and obvious ways, but also much more that goes on underneath the exterior, often more than the even the person themselves is aware. and also their ability to handle other things that go on around them.

I don't know the ins and outs of the last couple of years for the poor lad (and his family of course), but I think it is rash to make judgements on his entire future based on snippets and rumours concerning such things as attitude, workrate and the like - particularly when based at the other end of the internet, rather than being there in training or on loan.

Anyway, my understanding is that Pep is very positive about the lad, and that any loans that have been lined up are more in terms of getting him out there on the pitch to help regain his form, rather than trying to ease him out of the door at OUFC.

So, I would suggest, in this case, it would be better to wipe the last two years from the slate completely in terms of judging how his career will unfold, and go back to the point in his development where he was set to go out on loan to develop his skills in order to cement a regular squad place (as he was just embarking when events took such a desperate turn) , rather than using them to write him off for good.

I may be wrong, but I get the sense that by the end of this season, a good deal of the old James Roberts that we all used to know and love will have returned to the pitches of England, and his future will be looking much brighter....

I would love you to be right, but reckon that he will end up in the National League North or South. He has clearly had a lot of issues, but from a footballing perspective his performances at Oxford City were poor by all accounts. He has another chance to show what he can do so let's see how he does in this new loan.

It hasn't been about his skill level, though I think conference South is his level, its his poor, attitude where ever he has been loaned out to. For example whilst at Oxford City, who didn't renew his loan.

Like others who have left I'm sure he will find a club, hopefully for him Guisely is that club, or in the Bostik, where he can rebuild his career, as he is still so young.

Good well balanced post.

Back
Top Bottom