Manager/Coach Robbo to Brizzle City

greatunclekip

Heard a rumour from a pretty good source today that KR features quite highly on the Brizzle City target list following the sacking of Johnson.

No surprise.

He's done very well this season and is quite highly regarded. Why wouldn't they be interested?

Heard a rumour from a pretty good source today that KR features quite highly on the Brizzle City target list following the sacking of Johnson.

Johnson was sacked at about 5.45 this afternoon, you posted at 7pm. Seems your source was quick off the mark given that an hour earlier they had a manager in place and in that time of just over an hour he’s already heard Robinson is sought after. Who is he ? The Chairman ? The owner ?

Teams generally have an idea of who they will target as soon as they start to contemplate a change......

I was pondering to myself earlier that perhaps the club might have in their mind a manager with more experience in the Championship should we get promoted.

Would someone answer the question as to what the reasons why Robbo left Charlton to come to Oxford and I already know the answer.

If he goes so be it that's what we all say and expect of our players when decent offers come in don't we.

No surprise.

He's done very well this season and is quite highly regarded. Why wouldn't they be interested?

They might be interested but why would Robbo go there? He's happy living in Buckingham and I can't see him commuting to Bristol every day. Now if he gets us up and a team in the championship that is closer ie London, Midlands area that has money then he may leave.

For me, KR's best attribute is his ability to develop young players. We've not had too many transfer flops since he joined, and every youth player he's brought in has come on leaps and bounds - Fosu, Sykes, Whyte to name a few, and that's not to mention the likes of Baptiste and Brannagan who have developed into Championship+ players under him. He's a great personality, fans love him (when things are going right!) and he knows how to build a team. It's a pretty perfect fit for smaller Championship clubs like Bristol City that need to follow our model of recruit-build-sell on for profit to survive.

That said, one thing I have been wondering the last couple of days is whether, if we don't get promoted, you could make the case that we have underachieved on the pitch this year, and, if so, whether that is KR's fault to some extent. I'm a big fan of Robbo and would be sorry to see him go, and it's not a view I necessarily agree with, but I think it's worth discussing. It's probably unfair to make too harsh a judgment, given the way the season was cut off, but with the quality we had on the pitch and the relatively poor standard of L1 this year should we have done better in the matches we did have? There were some very avoidable dropped points (Bolton, Burton (x2) spring to mind), especially when you consider how well our team showed it could perform on its day against higher league opposition. In terms of the available quality, it's not unreasonable to think that of our squad that started the season, at least four (Fosu, Baptiste, Dickie, Brannagan) will be playing in the Championship (or higher) next season, and at least another four of those that appeared over the season could do so comfortably (Henry, Gorrin, Taylor, Browne). That's without even including the likes of Sykes and Moore, who have come on loads over the year, and Woodburn. I know we'd rebuild etc. but you do wonder when we might have a squad this good again.

I know there were a few mitigating factors (packed February, injuries to key players at key times etc), and obviously you could fairly argue that our cup runs constitute OVERachieving, but in terms of the league, should we not win the playoffs, I wonder if we might look back on this season as one that got away. Would be interested to hear people's thoughts.

I'm not Robinson's greatest fan by any means, but I think to deny that he has done well this season would be churlish - especially given the direction of travel before the bloody virus screwed everything up. I don't think it's beyond the bounds of possibility at all that we would have gone up automatically. And that with the club selling some very good players pre- and mid- season.

And given the likes of Ipswich and Sunderland (and the budgets they have more to the point) being in the same division and us being in these odd play-offs and not them, even with a curtailed season you have to give him some credit.

Yes, we turned our noses up at some pretty winnable points and had some poor results (Peterborough away was frankly an embarrassment) - but we also had some excellent results and picked up some very very good points as well. The latter far outweighed the former. Just the cup performances alone would have made this a memorable season.

And of course the fat lady hasn't sung yet...

You have to take things mentioned on Sky with a tonne and a half of salt, but when they talk of Oxford have the 13th biggest budget then it only shows how well we have done this season. At the beginning of the season most on here were predicting mid table at best, and there was already the usual doom mongers out in force before the end of August (and again around January!) Of course the run of 5 wins before the break elevated us beyond where we have been for much of the season, and Ruffels 88th minute goal got us in the playoffs at the death, but that in itself is still a huge achievement and our best league finish since 1999. When you then add in the cup runs and the performances against West Ham, Man City and Newcastle, then this has been a season to remember.

I wouldn't be surprisoed if other teams were looking at Robinson, he is well regarded in the game, but he also has 100% support of the board here and there is more investment to come. If we miss out on promotion, he may be tempted away. But the grass is not always greener and I'd like to think that the infrastructure at the club would enable someone else to come in and continue the progress that we've seen this season.

Hopefully 2 more wins and this will all be come irrelevant anyway!

I was pondering to myself earlier that perhaps the club might have in their mind a manager with more experience in the Championship should we get promoted.

What ? I wonder, on that basis, if Coventry and Rotherham might get rid of their managers too or perhaps Wycombe will sack Ainsworth if they make it as he’s got zero experience in the championship.

It’s just farcical to think we’d replace a manager who will have masterminded our biggest league achievement since the golden era of Jim Smith in the early 80’s.

Chris Hughton would be a good fit. Unceremoniously dumped by Brighton and top,level experience

Back
Top Bottom