Manager/Coach Robbo out. Thread number 2

Should KR go now?

• Yes, now.

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Yes, if we don't make the play-offs.

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • No, talk again at the end of next season.

Votes: 104 40.0%
  • No.

Votes: 128 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the metric of 1 PPG at the most crucial time of the season? Those last 7 games were excruciatingly poor.

Of course. But you could also argue that if we'd had a better September (5 from 5) or if we'd beaten Cheltenham and Lincoln at the beginning of the year then the last 7 wouldn't have mattered.

Isn’t the metric of your final league position kind of the most important one?

There's a difference between measuring success and improvement. It's not hard to see that a valid argument can be made for areas that we have improved whilst also accepting that ultimately we didn't achieve our overall target.

Can we also put to bed the idea that improvement can only be judged on league position?

The previous post stated that we got more points in total, and against the bigger teams (Sheff Wed and MK doubles). We also ground out results that we perhaps wouldn't have done a year ago, and played scintillating football at times (Chalton away, Burton home). No team scored more than us. We were the only team in league one not to have been beaten by more than 2 goals.

Plenty to show that there were improvements in many areas.

Of course that means nothing without finishing in the top six, no one has said otherwise.

But to dismiss everything based on only one metric is ridiculous.
Contradicting yourself?

Contradicting yourself?
No. Because there are many ways to measure improvement.

For example, is Luke McNally an improvement on Jordan Thorniley? Most on here would say yes. But we conceded more goals with Luke in the team, so he must be worse?!

No team scored more than us. We were the only team in league one not to have been beaten by more than 2 goals.
And we conceded the most number of goals in the top 11 teams.
No. Because there are many ways to measure improvement.

For example, is Luke McNally an improvement on Jordan Thorniley? Most on here would say yes. But we conceded more goals with Luke in the team, so he must be worse?!
This seems to have been the mantra of the season, disregard the number of goals conceded and concentrate on the number scored. Except, we didn't score enough in many games in order not to lose.

This is a League competition. The final measurement of success comes down to league position. All talk of "improvement" is for the club not, the competition.
The improvement that I want to see is in that league position.

And we conceded the most number of goals in the top 11 teams.

This seems to have been the mantra of the season, disregard the number of goals conceded and concentrate on the number scored. Except, we didn't score enough in many games in order not to lose.

This is a League competition. The final measurement of success comes down to league position. All talk of "improvement" is for the club not, the competition.
The improvement that I want to see is in that league position.
And we achieve that by making improvements in all aspects of the game, many of which we have improved on from last season.

Do you look back on games like Newcastle in the cup and just see a defeat, or do you look at the excitement of fighting to the end, equalising with the last kick of normal time, taking it to them in the first 5 minutes of extra time when we could have got another couple?

The moment football becomes about results and league position and nothing else matters is the time many walk away.
Last season was a pretty good season. Lots of incredible games. Big wins away at Sheff Wed and Chalton. Exciting come backs at home to Sheff Wed and Pompey. Taylor get 20+, Brannagan in everything he did, Luke McNally coming through.

We DID improve in lots of areas on and off the pitch. However, we DID fail to achieve our goal to be in the playoffs.

Not hard to acknowledge both.

Following information from @Colin B and @Manorlounger on another thread I wanted to hijack this thread with the message to residents of Kidlington East re. local election this week.

VOTE for the STADIUM
VOTE for NIGEL SIMPSON

Local issues more important than political allegiances. Apologies mods.

Last edited:
I thought the goal was promotion? Not much point in getting in the play-offs then losing (ask Wycombe or Blackpool).

The only objective measure of performance is the league table, being in the top 2 or top 6 and winning a competition is how we achieve our goal. . Other teams were better, well yes, they were trying to win too. We failed, by further than the last 2 seasons.

Some things improved (we were more potent in attack), some things got worse (our defense was quite a bit worse), we had some excellent performances and some abject ones.

Can we improve overall and achieve Mr Bakrie's goal with the current manager? I think not. I'm convinced the balance of evidence supports my opinion. Would a different manager achieve? I believe a well-selected manager is more likely to do that and improve the watching experience across a season.

The prizes are given out based on league position, not points. Whilst they're a useful guide, they can fluctuate season-to-season based on the changing nature of the quality of the opposition. Whilst many teams at the top picked up a lot of points, there were a lot of terrible teams too. In 2018/19, bottom finished with 41 points and the last relegated side had 50. This season, bottom finished on 29 points, 41 points would have seen you safe and 50 points gives you a 10 point buffer to the relegated sides.

Other metrics are a good guide, but I don't think people should be shouted down when they say league position is the most important one.

W4 D4 L4 against the top 6, which is an improvement.
To be critical though, lost 14, some of which were against some crap teams. Far to many for a team looking to make the playoffs.

I would be surprised if it is even harder
If Wednesday or Sunderland go up that will be one of the real big hitters out if the way.
I suspect that Plymouth/ Wycombe may not be quite as good next season.
Derby? Big budget undoubtedly, but they will have a new team and maybe manager. Barnsley seem to have some financial issues.
Ipswich will be more of a threat. Pompey and Charlton? Big clubs and budgets so possible.
We clearly need a lot more points to go up automatically which has to be the aim.
I reckon fir play offs the points number will be lower next year.
Tbh I think MK will go up and that will make This L1 a very harder league to get out of.
You’re right about Plymouth may not be as good but their Chairman may think one more push and that should get us over the line that’s if they keep their star players.
Wycombe different kettle of fish they should be looking to offload some of their players as they are on good wages from the championship days and now their i Combe has been reduced dramatically they will struggle, but they still have Ainsworth and his negative game plan so who knows.

For me the goal should be top 2. To achieve that we need to tighten up and stop losing games where we took the lead. Nobody expects us to always win when you score first but we really failed to get any points. The difference between us and Wycombe was increased draws v losses. However we need to stop this limited ambition of top 6 and stop the continual "we are outperforming our budget". Top 2 - get a good start and keep driving on. !! Optimism rules!!

For the sake of argument then. Next year. Ainsworth is manager. We go up in 2nd place playing terrible football. Then come straight back down. Success? Worth it? I'd rather have two more years finishing 8th in League One and scoring the most goals in the league with some amazing highs.

I guess the question is about what success means to you. And the only people whose opinion matters on that front, ultimately, is the owners.

For the sake of argument then. Next year. Ainsworth is manager. We go up in 2nd place playing terrible football. Then come straight back down. Success? Worth it? I'd rather have two more years finishing 8th in League One and scoring the most goals in the league with some amazing highs.

I guess the question is about what success means to you. And the only people whose opinion matters on that front, ultimately, is the owners.

Promotion for me, every time.

Firstly because on a pragmatic point it would inject money into the coffers for years to come, making us stronger.

And secondly because a promotion is the kind of season you look back on with fond memories, in addition to the rush in real time.

I’ve been going up since 1995 and in that whole time, I’ve seen three promotions. I’d certainly love another season of success rather than failure to progress - particularly as we’d then get the fun of playing the likes of Forest, West Brom, Sheffield United week in, week out.

I’d take that over any sense of moral superiority about playing ‘better’ football.

However we need to stop this limited ambition of top 6 and stop the continual "we are outperforming our budget"
Which is completely incorrect anyway, but people will hear what they want to hear, even if it means supporting an individual over the football club that they claim to support.

Thankfully the owners don’t feel the same.

Would stop going if that turd took the job.

Which is completely incorrect anyway, but people will hear what they want to hear, even if it means supporting an individual over the football club that they claim to support.

Thankfully the owners don’t feel the same.

It doesn't help to make comments like "a football club they claim to support".

Fans can have different expectations and be loyal to managers or players that others disagree with whilst still supporting the club.

You're right, we have been supported financially and more do next season. And the (new) owners will expect results. However they also have complete faith in Robinson achieving those results which is why they continue to back him.

Not quite sure what that means.
...they claim to support' meaning they don't really support that team because they think that the team achieved budget the last 2 years before this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom