Manager/Coach KREXIT: The 'Robbo Out' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not going to he sacked. Club can't afford it after giving him a 4 year deal, as the fans demanded. Only way he leaves is he gets a better offer for him.
As some fans demanded. I thought it was reckless for a manager to be on a contract you cannot afford to terminate. Or is hardly the Messiah. He was a bang average manage with an out of control mouth, who sort of appeals to some of the more simplistic fans because of his passion. Too often we see no plan b and a devotion to tapping about in our own half.

A bang average manager who got us to the play offs. And this despite having to let Fosu and Baptiste go in the run in.
Then Cam, a crucial player, is in for an eye injury, and we also lose one of our finest payers, Rob Dickie.
Im sure Robinson has his reasons for playing Eastwood who is clearly not playing well.
Taylor is playing below what is expected. Winnall has disappointed everyone here.
All of these reasons have contributed to Oxford having a poor season.
You can’t get a silk purse out of a sows ear, and it has come to haunt us.
The lack of a partisan crowd against Swindon might have helped too in keeping our lead.
This season won’t be our year to go up. We have to get up and go again. Who knows Wilder might be back😀😀
Ipswich have the same issue with a lambert signing a five year contract

The only word for Robinson's tenure is manic.

Incredible highs and gut-wrenching lows. And the man himself veers between being Mr Oxford, who couldn't do more, and a ranting fool who makes you wonder how he's ever got a job.

Watching the preview back -

CW - "for an hour all was going well, for 80mins all was going well wasn't it?"

KR - "I've just said there to the local media ex players coming out and sometimes saying what they've said when they've been in situations where they've made the same sort of mistakes"

CW - I think you said something like 'I don't understand why we were 10 yards deeper than we should have been' and someone said 'well that down to you to get them 10 yards higher...is that fair? Are the players not following what you're saying to them?'

KR - "I've heard an ex player come on have a go at us over the distances, he's played in football matches, he knows why, he knows fear"

KR - "people want to point fingers at me, thats fine, thats part and parcel of my job as well to accept that criticism but I don't always like it when certain people say it who should know better"

Plenty of stuff in there around why KR made the subs he did, Mousinho taking his badges, KR possibly getting a charge relating to something on Saturday and us being in a 2 year player development cycle

A bang average manager who got us to the play offs. And this despite having to let Fosu and Baptiste go in the run in.
Then Cam, a crucial player, is in for an eye injury, and we also lose one of our finest payers, Rob Dickie.
Im sure Robinson has his reasons for playing Eastwood who is clearly not playing well.
Taylor is playing below what is expected. Winnall has disappointed everyone here.
The lack of a partisan crowd against Swindon might have helped too in keeping our lead.
This season won’t be our year to go up. We have to get up and go again. Who knows Wilder might be back😀😀

A bang average manager who only adapted his dour pre-Xmas tactics last season once senior members of the squad went to him to change them to a 4141 so we could start playing attacking, fluid football.

Rob Dickie had only stayed past January with the agreement he could leave this summer, we had plenty of time to buy an experienced CB replacement if Mousinho was going to be more coach than player this year.

It's not just Taylor though is it? Its Henry, Sykes, Ruffels, Eastwood all not playing well, Agyei and Shodipo look lightweight, we signed a RW to play at RB. Why did we sign a French U21 international to then not even register him when we have the likes of Hall and Hanson on the bench? Why did we sign ANOTHER player after a serious injury who surprise, surprise, GOT INJURED? Why are the players not performing for KR like they did last year, you dont suddenly have half a team go missing play off final loss or not?

We have been utter dross since March and KR had better turn it around quickly or it's a relegation scrap we're going to be because we've been playing like a relegation team since Shrewbury away.

You cant get a silk purse out of a sows ear, but I'd settle for making one myself over 4 transfer windows with the money being given to him by the money men in Asia. It's only a matter of time before they're fed up with it.

Last edited:
A bang average manager who only adapted his dour pre-Xmas tactics last season once senior members of the squad went to him to change them to a 4141 so we could start playing attacking, fluid football.

Rob Dickie had only stayed pass January with the agreement he could leave this summer, we had plenty of time to buy an experienced CB replacement if Mousinho was going to be more coach than player this year.

It's not just Taylor though is it? Its Henry, Sykes, Ruffels, Eastwood all not playing well, Agyei and Shodipo look lightweight, we signed a RW to play at RB. Why did we sign a French U21 international to then not even register him when we have the likes of Hall and Hanson Hanson the bench? Why did we sign ANOTHER player after a serious injury who surprise, surprise, GOT INJURED? Why are the players not performing for KR like they did last year, you dont suddenly have half a team go missing play off final loss or not?

We have been utter dross since March and KR had better turn it around quickly or it's a relegation scrap we're going to be because we've been playing like a relegation team since Shrewbury away.

You cant get a silk purse out of a sows ear, but I'd settle for making one myself over 4 transfer windows with the money being given to him by the money men in Asia. It's only a matter of time before they're fed up with it.
I wonder what has changed since March...

The coaches
Covid
Play off defeat
Minimal pre season
Losing key players through injury
New signings not hitting the ground running
Key players from last season seriously out
of form
Stop start season so far so unable to build momentum
No fans allowed in stadiums

and giving ticketmaster a 4 year contract 😉

The coaches
Covid
Play off defeat
Minimal pre season
Key players from last season seriously out of form

I won't disagree with a lot of that Steve, partly because you're accurate in most of that but it isn't all bespoke to Oxford. Covid, minimal pre-season, new signings, fan restrictions is club-wide.

I would like to try and find out what Garry Parker role is at the club now? I don't think Chris Allen departing effects the first-team but I rarely see Faz about the club (from photos etc on matchday galleries etc).

I won't disagree with a lot of that Steve, partly because you're accurate in most of that but it isn't all bespoke to Oxford. Covid, minimal pre-season, new signings, fan restrictions is club-wide.

I would like to try and find out what Garry Parker role is at the club now? I don't think Chris Allen departing effects the first-team but I rarely see Faz about the club (from photos etc on matchday galleries etc).
I think one difference that have affected us more than most other clubs, is that we had the playoffs in the middle of the COVID break. Most clubs didnt play between March and September, so had a proper break of 4-5 months, then a 'normal'-ish pre-season, yet we had a couple of months out, then 3-4 weeks pre-playoff period, then the playoffs then another small break, then another pre-season - so very bitty, a massive disappointment in the middle, and arguably a double dose of the Robbo-intensive fitness and less of the ball/tactical work that normally follows that.

I wonder what has changed since March...

The coaches
Covid
Play off defeat
Minimal pre season
Key players from last season seriously out of form

I agree with you on some of these, I think losing Faz has been a greater loss than we realise (or that we're only just starting to realise) and that bringing in the fitness coach's brother may be a little bit suspect in any other business.

The play off defeat, if anything, is to do with KR's ability to mentally deal with our players. Portsmouth for example dont seem to have suffered too badly considering they probably feel robbed at how badly we played against them and managed to scrape through the play off semis. Fleetwood neither.

Gorrin at the start of the season and Brannagan are undoubtedly a loss, but shoehorning Liam Kelly into a CDM role where he was woeful isnt the answer. Change the tactics, change the shape, just dont be so devoid of other ideas that you're scared to move from a formation that clearly isnt working. I dont think the new players argument is particularly strong either - we sign a crocked striker and try to rush him into game time after giving him a 'mini pre-season', we dont even register Osei Yaw, Matty Taylor if you want to count him is isolated up top and not receiving the service, Clare was being played out of position, and Shodipo had never scored a senior goal before he arrived at the club.

I do think not having the fans in and the stop start nature of our season hasnt helped, but ALL clubs are dealing with this. @RyanioBirdio and @battman have pointed this out on other posts though - we dont have the mental strength to be able to deal with anything, let alone the nature of football in Covid times. What is is about our team and Robinson in particular that is causing this?

Last edited:
I think one difference that have affected us more than most other clubs, is that we had the playoffs in the middle of the COVID break. Most clubs didnt play between March and September, so had a proper break of 4-5 months, then a 'normal'-ish pre-season, yet we had a couple of months out, then 3-4 weeks pre-playoff period, then the playoffs then another small break, then another pre-season - so very bitty, a massive disappointment in the middle, and arguably a double dose of the Robbo-intensive fitness and less of the ball/tactical work that normally follows that.
Absolutely. Portsmouth and Fleetwood are doing terribly, a real hangover there. And Wycombe have three less points than us. In the league above.

There is Zero excuse. None. Covid. Every team the same

No fans- every team the same.

Budget- Accrington Stanley have twice our points total. And Karl was presumably happy enough when he signed his 4 year deal.

For all Karl moaning about local pundits, one man is paid a wad of cash to put out a competent, motivated and competitive team every week. One man is failing miserably.

Absolutely. Portsmouth and Fleetwood are doing terribly, a real hangover there. And Wycombe have three less points than us. In the league above.

There is Zero excuse. None. Covid. Every team the same

No fans- every team the same.

Budget- Accrington Stanley have twice our points total. And Karl was presumably happy enough when he signed his 4 year deal.

For all Karl moaning about local pundits, one man is paid a wad of cash to put out a competent, motivated and competitive team every week. One man is failing miserably.
One man and those players surely !

I think it's time to stop with the "we can't afford to sack him", if we'd lost every single game this season he'd be sacked, simple as that. Tiger will sack or organise a mutual termination of his contract if we really looked in trouble. It's just a question of how long you persist and at what point you should pull the trigger.

It will be a little more costly due to the length of his contract and that would also make a mutual termination and compensation package more tricky to work out. So he'll need to be absolutely certain it's the right decision... He's not completely unsackable, we are not in a position where we cannot afford to ever relieve him or replace him, it's just a little trickier now.

I’m sure KR is persuading Tiger to keep him on until he sorts out the problems in the January window.
Should be another couple of left wingers available by then, and a midfielder who hasn’t played since 2019 and needs eight weeks to get match fit.

I agree with you on some of these, I think losing Faz has been a greater loss than we realise (or that we're only just starting to realise) and that bringing in the fitness coach's brother may be a little bit suspect in any other business.

The play off defeat, if anything, is to do with KR's ability to mentally deal with our players. Portsmouth for example dont seem to have suffered too badly considering they probably feel robbed at how badly we played against them and managed to scrape through the play off semis. Fleetwood neither.

Gorrin at the start of the season and Brannagan are undoubtedly a loss, but shoehorning Liam Kelly into a CDM role where he was woeful isnt the answer. Change the tactics, change the shape, just dont be so devoid of other ideas that you're scared to move from a formation that clearly isnt working. I dont think the new players argument is particularly strong either - we sign a crocked striker and try to rush him into game time after giving him a 'mini pre-season', we dont even register Osei Yaw, Matty Taylor if you want to count him is isolated up top and not receiving the service, Clare was being played out of position, and Shodipo had never scored a senior goal before he arrived at the club.

I do think not having the fans in and the stop start nature of our season hasnt helped, but ALL clubs are dealing with this. @RyanioBirdio and @battman have pointed this out on other posts though - we dont have the mental strength to be able to deal with anything, let alone the nature of football in Covid times. What is is about our team and Robinson in particular that is causing this?
I don't disagree, but I don't think our situations are analogous. Losing on penalties at an empty Grenoble Road isn't the same as losing at Wembley to a freak penalty in the last minutes, in a game you were heavily favourites for and dominating. That game may very well be the single biggest game many of those players have ever played and will ever play in, and losing in that manner must have been extremely tough to deal with.

It may well be a case of mental fortitude, and the presence of fans in the first games back in the new season cheering on the players may have given them a boost that they clearly need, but when people are calling for KR's head I do think that there are mitigating factors to consider that are affecting us more than others.

The stance I'm sticking with is the old cliche that form is temporary, class is permanent. KR has been promoted from this league before and should have done so again last year. You don't build teams that are that successful by accident - he clearly knows what he's doing. Things are going badly now but I for one still haven't lost faith that he has the ability to turn it around.

Yes, and every single big game, KR will bottle it. Proven.

What has he actually achieved in his managerial career? One promotion and an instant relegation with MK.

Charlton got going as soon as he left.

KR is found wanting even more so without Faz here to iron him out.

I don't disagree, but I don't think our situations are analogous. Losing on penalties at an empty Grenoble Road isn't the same as losing at Wembley to a freak penalty in the last minutes, in a game you were heavily favourites for and dominating. That game may very well be the single biggest game many of those players have ever played and will ever play in, and losing in that manner must have been extremely tough to deal with.

It may well be a case of mental fortitude, and the presence of fans in the first games back in the new season cheering on the players may have given them a boost that they clearly need, but when people are calling for KR's head I do think that there are mitigating factors to consider that are affecting us more than others.

The stance I'm sticking with is the old cliche that form is temporary, class is permanent. KR has been promoted from this league before and should have done so again last year. You don't build teams that are that successful by accident - he clearly knows what he's doing. Things are going badly now but I for one still haven't lost faith that he has the ability to turn it around.

I see your points and I wouldn't disagree that Robinson should be gone yet. However, his MK team came straight back down from the Championship and his Charlton team that had lost their form and fallen out of the play offs were taken over by Lee Bowyer and went go secure promotion.

You'd expect Robinson to be using that final as a motivating factor, not a mitigating one. Show the players we got there, that we should be getting back there, that we were good enough to go out but missed out on a mistake for whatever reason. Use that as proof to attract better players to the club either on loan or permanantly and say "This is Oxford, this is how we play, this is what we do". Instead we have done what Shrewsbury did and tail off following the final on what has been a very poor run of form since, but one which is consistent with how we've started the past 2 seasons just now it's looking bleaker and is at risk of going on for longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom