Manager/Coach KREXIT: The 'Robbo Out' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
12 years today since similar discussions (on a different level, of course) led to a very nice, passionate and tactically inept manager getting the heave-ho. After a month of Jim Smith we then hired a young manager named Chris Wilder.

That worked out fine!

Appologies I was not including this season as I can't be there.

How about the promotion season under Appleton?

And I repeat, Appleton’s promotion 11 vs Robinson’s playoff final 11.

I know which team I’m going for.

Tiger won't sack KR, the cost would be huge. He'd be better off getting a FAZZ like assistant manager to come in and help stop the rot.

This is the question.

Little point in discussing Robinson's future, he will hold the club to ransom, if they 'ever' decide to do something, it'll cost them a kings ransom. Anyway, Tiger doesn't have the brass knuckles. That said, I'd be interested to know what the real money people in Asia think.

My real question is his backroom recruitment and decision-making.

Where is Fazz these days?

Where is Garry Parker these days? - note on Garry Parker, as well as his scouting of the upcoming opposition (appreciate a little more difficult) he was on the training pitches at the back end of last season. Not seen much of him since.......:sneaky:

We were so keen on keeping Chris Short, we made a move for his brother (an experienced coach who was a central defender) - which probably helped keep Chris here after his 'being away from home every week'.

Who is making these decisions is it Karl or is it 'we'.

So you are ignoring this season then. If we get relegated do you ignore that too?
If we get relegated naturally I may change my opinion. I don't usually watch ifollow so that is why I was not counting this season.
Sounds like the quality has been poor so far.

If we get relegated naturally I may change my opinion. I don't usually watch ifollow so that is why I was not counting this season.
Sounds like the quality has been poor so far.
Lucky you. We look a shadow of thie side compared to our team pre xmas last year. This season has been a complete shambles

Let's stop feeling we are hard done by and should be in a much better position. Look how many years Portsmouth, Ipswich and Sunderland have been in this division. You'd think those clubs would have the best teams always?

It’s only the second season for Ipswich. 3rd for Sunderland..

Just wondering myself if we should be querying the decision to bring in Craig Short. He’s not very experienced and I doubt he’s going to be able to temper some of the managers decisions.
When Derry was brought in we had a poor season and we were better last year with Faz backing him.
I had hoped that Short would sort out our defence as he’s a centre back himself but it doesn’t look like that happened.
Lets be honest. Karl isnt some whippersnapper manager setting out. Hes a very experienced one now, and he shouldnt need an older head to help him with his decisions.

The fact he doesnt appear to learn from his mistakes over 3 seasons is alarming.

And Appletons team would absolutely hammer the playoff team. If we'd have been able to land Taylor that summer we would have gone up again. Night and day between Appy and Robbo.

Still waiting for hear these Magical players that we never went after or maybe we did try and for various reasons they didn't come .just a thought !

So far on here we've had Mous..Sykes,Long.Ruffels. Agyei Winnall Kelly all needing to be binned off for varying reasons but exactly who were the players that we should have got that wanted to come here and fit the salary cap?

I don't get why it's so difficult to understand that with our model if you want the £££££ from Baptiste Fosu Dickie etc and have to keep gambling and relying on the conveyor belt that sometimes things will not always work out.

Browne and Holland keep getting thrown into the mix but they too had their share of criticism on here and people keep forgetting they were only loans and based with clubs higher up the pyramid.

The recruitment team were praised for those brought in but just because it's not working as was hoped they too get the verbals, as with all fans certain players,manager are not liked whilst others equally are giving free reign and Golden Boy treatment.

Win as a team and lose as a team

I would argue that achieving a playoff place with a budget outside of the top seven in this division is something. A run to the League Cup QF last season was our finest achievement in that competition since 1987-88 too.

We can argue the merits of KR all day long but you’ve got to be sensible about it. KR mixes good and bad in fairly equal measure which is reflected in his overall record here – P140 W55 D39 L46. Yes, we lose matches under him, but what did you expect? Promotion in 2018-19, promotion again last year and now a run at the PL title in his third full season? Some realism is needed. He has us tearing our hair out, he has us applauding his management of youth and his fixation on the local aspects of the club. He’s a League 1 manager, not Sir Alex Ferguson and that reflects where we are. He has to improve if Oxford want to improve.

If you think that’s somehow KR is the worst we can muster, I would have hate to have had a season ticket next to you when Rix, Talbot, Patterson and Smith Mrk 2/Kemp were in charge.
Achieving on a smallish budget is what Accrington might do, our budget isnt that small.
To say get into the play offs with a particular budget, with no promotion, equates to those that say when we lose to look at the possession we had or number of shots in the game.

Lucky you. We look a shadow of thie side compared to our team pre xmas last year. This season has been a complete shambles
Agreed, this season has been a shambles. What did KR expect - after losing Baptiste, Fosu, Browne, Woodburn (all midfield), plus Dickie and not effectively replacing any of them. Gorrin and Branagan expected to carry the midfield? And when is Branagan going to be back?

Achieving on a smallish budget is what Accrington might do, our budget isnt that small.
To say get into the play offs with a particular budget, with no promotion, equates to those that say when we lose to look at the possession we had or number of shots in the game.
I disagree to an extent. Getting there is a good achievement and deserves credit. He put a decent team together and got the big money contract as a result.

This season he has put a very very bad team together, so that will get the flack it deserves, its not like one offsets the other.

As in any other job, his role should be on the line due to poor performance in almost every key metric at this time. Not based on past performance, promotion at Mk dons a decade ago etc.

I find it telling that despite the play off run last season that many remain unconvinced by KR. He seems good and bad in equal measures. His inflexibility, slowness to identify and fix issues, and tactical ability are his weaknesses. However either by luck or judgement he usually finds a winning formula that at least sees us safe. Overall he is neither a great nor awful manager but at times he is one or the other.

Before this season started I really thought we had recruited well. At least up until Dickie left. With hindsight not signing an experienced center-back (especially as it appears that Mous is now a passenger) and dedicated right back, plus not having cover for Gorrin and decent competition for Eastwood has proved disastrous. Another problem we have seen since Dickie left is ridiculous number of options we now how in midfield especially wide. We have seen in the past when KR is spoilt for choice he makes poor decisions, and then compounds the error by trying to make the mess he has created work for far too long.

Yes we have had some bad luck with injuries and yes some of our players are woefully under performing. This has not helped by a defense that just isn't right, and without that it is difficult to build anything. At present the squad is full of deadwood and given the limits its a real issue. We do need a change of strategy for recruitment a few more solid dependable types that would balance the squad a bit, rather than high risk injury prone star players that KR loves.

That said though I do not think this squad is as bad as its currently performing. Nor do I think it is miles away from being a lot better. In Jan if we sign a decent experienced center back (a Mous replacement) maybe who also can cover for defensive midfield (if Gorrin gets injured or suspended), plus a decent right back. Then if Stevens steps up, or Eastwood finds form, or we bring in another goalkeeper we should look a lot better.

What will define this season will be KR's ability to find that winning formula and stick with it. He has done it before lets hope he can do it again.

Last edited:
I don't understand the if Henry plays well we play well. It is because if Henry plays poorly he is totally anonymous and we are basically playing with ten on the pitch thus we play poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom