Rob Hall

He's akin to fine bone china. Quality, but brittle. Obviously no contract with us but maybe paid per appearance elsewhere. MAPP took a gamble and it sort of paid off. I am sure we will wish him all the luck in the world for the future. Some great memories...………Often played when clearly not fit, which showed total commitment to the cause.

That goal against Sw*ndon. Oh my.

Absolutely horrid for him. When he came first time round i was sure he would play for England. At 17 he was that good.

The Swindon goal shows what ability he has, and by all accounts a lovely guy.

Really hope for the best for Rob.

Only play them if we are already relegated.
Hopefully we will be safe before then

Rob Hall will be fit in time to be considered for an extended contract for next season then. Should we offer him one (based on his undoubted ability) or should we pass (based on his inability to stay fit for any length of time)?

Rob Hall will be fit in time to be considered for an extended contract for next season then. Should we offer him one (based on his undoubted ability) or should we pass (based on his inability to stay fit for any length of time)?

If Robinson is in charge the he will get a contract. Robinson like injured players.

It's a no from me. Even if he were offered a pay as you play deal he would still be included in possible formations, tactics etc. over a long-term that will all go out of the window as soon as he's back on the treatment table.

Clean break better for all concerned in my opinion.

Always saw him in the same level as Jordan Graham, but sorry, he is too much of a risk , especially if the budget will possibly be smaller. Obika, no chance. Get him fit then out of the door. Should have happened last season.

In the current climate. We cannot afford to keep either of them.
Robbie Hall is talented but too fragile, whereas Jon Obika isn’t and is.

Not saying I agree with it but with our constant inability to identify and sign decent strikers I wouldn’t be surprised to see Obika offered a 12 month deal, especially if the budget is going to be reduced in the summer. I suppose it depends what league we’re in, might do a decent job in league 2 if he can get fit..? ( scampers off and dons tin hat)

surely after all that's gone on this season Robinson (and tiger) realise that the striker issue was one of the most important areas we've been badly lacking in. would be very surprised if Obika plays for us next season

not sure about Hall though. Robinson seems to rate him and does like his wingers. all depends how he comes back from this latest injury. wouldn't be that different from the Holmes situation but I would like to see him play for us again as long as the team isn't full up with other players with history of injuries

I really hope that Obika has played his last game for the club. At no point have I thought that he was anywhere near good enough to feature in any Oxford 11.
His goal scoring record speaks for itself and if he gets a contract on the back of that, then so should I?

Sometimes exciting/gifted players are worth persevering with as they are (i) a rare commodity and (ii) able to win a game with a flash of brilliance. At L1 level Hall, Holmes and Graham fall into this category. We have yet to see it but maybe Carruthers is too. Sadly they have been blighted by injury and their playing record over the years doesn’t compare to the likes of a James Henry who has played almost as many as all 4 in a similar period. I personally have loved watching Hall play but a club surely can only afford to have a maximum of one such player on its books as it limits your options and as we have seen already this season weakens the quality of your bench through the use of untried Academy players. Holmes has gone, Carruthers will also probably return. Hall’s recent injury is sadly one too many and I cannot see him being given another contract. Graham having shown some recent fitness may be our one player of ability that we try to keep.

Answering my own question (!) I am going to sit on the fence. I think this season has shown that you need to at least start with a squad full of players who are fit and don't have some sort of chronic, recurring injury. (We can't give everyone a ten game head start again!) If Hall is fit by the end of this season and medical reports say that his injuries are unlucky (rather than likely to recur) then I would keep him - especially as I don't think Browne or Graham will be with us (nor Garbutt for that matter). But I agree with Manorman's post above - if he is fit but some of his injuries are likely to reoccur then he has to be the only one. If he isn't actually properly fit by the end of the season, I'd (regretfully) ask him to move on. However, I suspect (given Robinson's history with Hall) he will get another contract whatever.
(Obika not in a million years. Some of Sinclair's play has shown what a large striker ought to be able to do physically - Obika can't do it and he is not good enough for us, even if we end up in L2.)

the old chicken and egg scenario again...so many loan players that will have better opportunities elsewhere and we cannot afford mistakes of last summer where those eggs are seemingly all in one basket..we have to have an idea of if any of the loan players we wish to keep are a realistic option and one hopes have already identified our targets and please again let them be realistic one's.
it is going to be a long summer and much harder to convince realistic targets to come here given our last 2 seasons and whilst many of our fans wont like it we are not the attraction some believe us to be so let's keep things real and sensible on here.

here comes the chicken and agg again the owner will want ticket sales to be able to bring the "wow" signings whilst the fans (some) will want to see the "wow" signings before parting with their hard earned again. i suspect the owner will be hoping that many fall for the it's our club scenario again and purchase regardless.

Back
Top Bottom