Ex Player Rob Dickie

Nope. He was getting rave reviews at Lincoln, we got him in January ahead of other clubs in the league due to Tigers connections. He has developed well here, signed a year extension out of loyalty, and has earned a move up the ladder.

Your thought is that until the day we get a £6 million pound bid, he should sign contract after contract ad infinitum? Get a grip.
One thing your forgetting, times are changing there will be a lot of players without clubs due to covid, we OUFC need to keep improving year on year on all aspects including income, that’s all I care about, Dickie is easily worth 5 million, we’ve always sold players on the cheap, many of our fans are out of touch with transfers, we’re not in the conference anymore.

One thing your forgetting, times are changing there will be a lot of players without clubs due to covid, we OUFC need to keep improving year on year on all aspects including income, that’s all I care about, Dickie is easily worth 5 million, we’ve always sold players on the cheap, many of our fans are out of touch with transfers, we’re not in the conference anymore.
Dickie is not worth £5m as the fee will show when it is announced. He is only worth what someone will pay for him and:

- He wants to go to a Championship Club or higher
- His wages will be trebled
- He has 9 months left on his contract and will not sign another extension
- If we don't let him go, he will resent that which could cause issues in terms of performance

so the club really doesn't have too many cards here unless there are multiple bidders which there aren't.

OUFC have done well out of transfers over the past few years. If he doesn't go in this window, he will be worth diddly squat as he would run his contract down. £2m bird in the hand - take it.

Curtis Nelson was worth millions, and we lost him for free. A contract situation we couldn't do much about.

We had the same situation with Dickie last year, managed to squeeze an extra year onto his contract, and that's worth a couple of million. If we'd made it a two year extension, I agree it would have meant more this summer. But we've done that with Brannagan, and we'll see if that turns into anything next summer.

Dickie is easily worth 5 million....

.....many of our fans are out of touch with transfers

Indeed!!

5 million was ridiculous before covid, but even more now where clubs are massively cutting budgets, players are being released and wages and squad sizes are held back by salary caps.

£2m+ for Whyte, Baptiste and Johnson were good deals. £1m+ for O'Dowda was a good deal. Roofe went for £3m as a league 2 player. Dickie is going to be £2.5m with only months until he could negotiate a free.

The unrealistic expectations of fans cause people to hold on to the belief that we sell on the cheap when we've actually done some incredible business over the last 4 or 5 years whilst also improving performances on the pitch.

Indeed!!

5 million was ridiculous before covid, but even more now where clubs are massively cutting budgets, players are being released and wages and squad sizes are held back by salary caps.

£2m+ for Whyte, Baptiste and Johnson were good deals. £1m+ for O'Dowda was a good deal. Roofe went for £3m as a league 2 player. Dickie is going to be £2.5m with only months until he could negotiate a free.

The unrealistic expectations of fans cause people to hold on to the belief that we sell on the cheap when we've actually done some incredible business over the last 4 or 5 years whilst also improving performances on the pitch.

The problem with relentless propaganda is even when it’s correct, you start to doubt it. Would you ever admit the club has done anything wrong or sold anyone for less than a good amount? I now know how people living in China feel! ?

The problem with relentless propaganda is even when it’s correct, you start to doubt it. Would you ever admit the club has done anything wrong or sold anyone for less than a good amount? I now know how people living in China feel! ?
The problem with relentless negatively is that you're unable to see the positives even when they're screaming you in the face!!

Indeed!!

That's your opinion which you're entitled too but that doesn't make it gospel or that another persons differing opinion makes them wrong.

Our board are on record as stating that this season we are really going for it so why other than for the quick money would you let your captain go when if you truly believed that we can achieve promotion Rob Dickie could treble his wages with Oxford United in the Championship next season. Now before you say well that's a risk, isn't it strange that any risk taken is always about our outgoings in some cases when promotion is staring us in the face but never involves saying no we are not selling as we want to be in the Championship and players like Rob Dickie can help us get there and be part of our Championship team.

Its called natural instincts - I supposed best demonstrated when valuing your own house. Don't think I need explain further and hopefully we can debate less this particular theme.

That's your opinion which you're entitled too but that doesn't make it gospel or that another persons differing opinion makes them wrong.

Our board are on record as stating that this season we are really going for it so why other than for the quick money would you let your captain go when if you truly believed that we can achieve promotion Rob Dickie could treble his wages with Oxford United in the Championship next season. Now before you say well that's a risk, isn't it strange that any risk taken is always about our outgoings in some cases when promotion is staring us in the face but never involves saying no we are not selling as we want to be in the Championship and players like Rob Dickie can help us get there and be part of our Championship team.
That assumes that Rob Dickie wants to remain in League 1 for another season. Trebling his wages would also cause an issue with other players. Taylor and Brannagan have had salary increases but nowhere near the level that trebling RD's wages would require.

Basically you're suggesting that the club should lose out on a £2m transfer fee, pay an extra £300k to one player, keep him in L1 rather than let him play in The Championship with (we hear) guaranteed first team football there and risk team cohesion due to the wage of one player.

That assumes that Rob Dickie wants to remain in League 1 for another season. Trebling his wages would also cause an issue with other players. Taylor and Brannagan have had salary increases but nowhere near the level that trebling RD's wages would require.

Basically you're suggesting that the club should lose out on a £2m transfer fee, pay an extra £300k to one player, keep him in L1 rather than let him play in The Championship with (we hear) guaranteed first team football there and risk team cohesion due to the wage of one player.

People said Rob Dickie will treble his wages moving now...he could also treble his wages with us in th Championship next season that's what i said not trebling them now in League 1.
as for wanting to play another season in league 1 he is under contract for 9 further months so the club do not have to sell and considering the correct way the player has dealt with things i don't think he'd do a Messi do you?

How much is Championship football worth to our club ?

People said Rob Dickie will treble his wages moving now...he could also treble his wages with us in th Championship next season that's what i said not trebling them now in League 1.
as for wanting to play another season in league 1 he is under contract for 9 further months so the club do not have to sell and considering the correct way the player has dealt with things i don't think he'd do a Messi do you?

Apologies I misread your post. Yes he has conducted himself well so far but with a firm offer now on the table that gives him Championship football from a week on Saturday that also puts c.£300k extra in his pocket in the next year (and probably a signing on fee to boot), I don't believe his conduct would be quite so good if we stopped him going. We'd also miss out on the £2m fee.

So you'd risk us losing out on 2.5 million now when it's likely he'll just leave for free next summer anyway?

We probably had an agreement with him last summer, that we would sell him if we didn't go up and a decent bid came in. Those agreements are part of the reason we can attract these promising young players.

So you'd risk us losing out on 2.5 million now when it's likely he'll just leave for free next summer anyway?

We probably had an agreement with him last summer, that we would sell him if we didn't go up and a decent bid came in. Those agreements are part of the reason we can attract these promising young players.
Spot on and at various fans forums, KR has said that you can't stand in the way of a player who wants to leave to increase their wage and play at a higher level. £2.5m is equivalent to two seasons' worth of season ticket sales.

Apologies I misread your post. Yes he has conducted himself well so far but with a firm offer now on the table that gives him Championship football from a week on Saturday that also puts c.£300k extra in his pocket in the next year (and probably a signing on fee to boot), I don't believe his conduct would be quite so good if we stopped him going. We'd also miss out on the £2m fee.

My point is as a club we did not have to accept any offer and we can argue about valuation all day long..it kind of brings me back to points i made previously like give us another year etc etc..as i've said any risk always seems to be one way with our club owners over the years, there is never a not for sale stance due to our ambitions.

Why would we pay one of our players treble their wages next season? We’re small and can’t afford that sort of money. Dickie would have gone to a bigger club like QPR even if we had gone up

Spot on and at various fans forums, KR has said that you can't stand in the way of a player who wants to leave to increase their wage and play at a higher level. £2.5m is equivalent to two seasons' worth of season ticket sales.

Once again the main point is missed, all that can be achieved with us if we truly are ambitious and the 2.5 is chicken feed compared to what the Championship can bring.
so again you've proved my point grab the money. Why not stop all this one season more crap and try to achieve your ambition with those players.

Why would we pay one of our players treble their wages next season? We’re small and can’t afford that sort of money. Dickie would have gone to a bigger club like QPR even if we had gone up

so don't state we're going for it this season then if you can't afford what lay ahead

Back
Top Bottom