Ex Player Rob Dickie

I completely agree that there is always room for improvement, and the example about set pieces is a good one. The last world cup saw England dominating set pieces and I expected that teams would be more innovative as a result. But 95% of teams still float corners in and hope for the best. We were further ahead in '96 with the near post Matty Elliott flick on routine!!

Maybe the wage restrictions will focus the thinking of clubs on other marginal gains and we'll see greater investment in coaching, analysis and sports science, and far more innovation to get one step ahead.

Those that already have decent set up will have a head start. We’ve made a good start to the window, targeting 2021 contracts and signing all to 3 years contracts also.

If anyone has Football Manager, check the wages on there for Taylor. They could of course be less but is used by clubs in recruitment to gauge the viability of signings. My guess is that for a year of set piece analysis/routines you would maybe get a single week of Matty Taylor?

Im going off on a tangent, but in 2017/18 Midtjylland scored 25(!) set piece goals. There’s your 20 goal a season striker for a fraction on the cost. A semi productive set piece schedule in place alongside a goal scorer like Taylor and likely we wouldn’t be in the playoffs.

I would rather hope that if the club decided to look at the cost,/benefit of a set piece coach, that his most important job would be to stop us conceding from them in the first place

I completely agree that there is always room for improvement, and the example about set pieces is a good one. The last world cup saw England dominating set pieces and I expected that teams would be more innovative as a result. But 95% of teams still float corners in and hope for the best. We were further ahead in '96 with the near post Matty Elliott flick on routine!!

Maybe the wage restrictions will focus the thinking of clubs on other marginal gains and we'll see greater investment in coaching, analysis and sports science, and far more innovation to get one step ahead.

I think the first player to do that near post Elliot flick on routine was Ron Atkinson at the Cuckoo Lane end. We scored from it once (against Millwall if memory serves) and never again - not for want of trying on Tank's part.

The Sun talk a load of B*****s. Awful Newspaper, and always will be.

Im starting to think Dickie May sign a small extension. To keep his options open, but also protecting the club from a Nelson situation.

They’re stating that because he only Has a year left on his contract.
I would imagine three or four clubs interested will push the fee up to £3 million.
Wonder if we could sell him with a loan back clause

The Sun talk a load of B*****s. Awful Newspaper, and always will be.

Im starting to think Dickie May sign a small extension. To keep his options open, but also protecting the club from a Nelson situation.

Yes he extended his contract once but again - however not again when he can walk away next year and potentially have a large signing on fee. Maybe unlike Nelson he may want to protect the club - hmm !

Yes he extended his contract once but again - however not again when he can walk away next year and potentially have a large signing on fee. Maybe unlike Nelson he may want to protect the club - hmm !

We as fans need to show him how much he means to us.

Everyone log in to Twitter. Lets get #DickieExtension trending!

From this i infer that Dickie will stay unless he has personal guarantees.
Obviously it's a huge positive if he stays, but it also might see us lose him to a team that didn't necessarily make the highest offer to him or us.
We sold £5m of players last season and made another million from the cups, but we also lost an absolute fortune the season before when we had all those legal disputes with Kassam, training ground costs, other assorted treats that were a hangover from Slippery, and couldn’t even afford to pay the tax bill as a result. There’s every chance we made a decent profit last season, but we were playing catch up after a rotten year previous. Particularly with everything going on in the world currently and for the foreseeable, we might need the fee that selling Dickie would likely bring. Could we afford for him to walk away for nothing in a year, regardless of his ability on the pitch?

Season starts in 10 days, with a cup tie. You get the sense we will probably know by then what’s likely to happen on this front.

Rob's agent is probably seeking a 'guarantee' that his man will not be a bench-warmer (at best) - he will never get that, but he will always be first choice here. So I expect him to sign a slight extension to his current contract.

It’s a win win for me. He goes and the club get some much needed funds, he stays and could be the difference between promotion or not and if he helps us go up then he will of earnt the club a lot more than 3 million!

Back
Top Bottom