Ex Player Rob Dickie

This is where we are right now.

The aim will be to reach a stage where we make enough money from other sources so that player sales will be a choice not a necessity.

If Wigan get relegated, Dunks will be playing at a lower level than the magnificent Us he left behind - we can't sell more players (and shouldnt need to - dont all CH clubs get about £30m?? ) if we go up. But if RD decides to leave can we expect the return of Dunks?

• Wow
Reactions: Ian
If Wigan get relegated, Dunks will be playing at a lower level than the magnificent Us he left behind - we can't sell more players (and shouldnt need to - dont all CH clubs get about £30m?? ) if we go up. But if RD decides to leave can we expect the return of Dunks?
He'll still be recovering from a broken leg at the start of the new season. As much as it'd be great to have him back, we'd have to look elsewhere in terms of replacing Dickie.

Rob Dickie is a far better player than Chey Dunkley!

Dunks was a good servant for us, but I felt Nelson carried him a lot in matches I saw. Plus Dunks distribution was pretty poor I thought.

Dickie will grace the Premier Lge one day, who knows it could be with us.

I'm curious what we're going to do with Dickie (and Brannagan) now.

Pre-Covid, I was convinced we'd get a multi-million pound offer, and sell.

Now? I don't know if Premier League clubs are still going to be forking out significant seven figure sums for lower league players. Yes, their TV deal is still intact, but the lack of crowds will cut into even their revenues significantly. So maybe we'd only get a fraction of what we were previously looking at?

Obviously, you put a new deal in front of Dickie.
But if he refuses to sign it, is it worth it to let him play out his contract for another year and leave for nothing?
If we're in the Championship, I think I'd say yeah, it probably is.

He'll still be recovering from a broken leg at the start of the new season. As much as it'd be great to have him back, we'd have to look elsewhere in terms of replacing Dickie.
Im not sure what the situation is with Sean Raggett but we could do a heck of a lot worse than him if we make the championship. I was quite impressed with him over the two games. He’s maybe not as capable as Dickie with the ball at his feet, something that Dickie has greatly improved on this season, but he’s solid and no nonsense.

Im not sure what the situation is with Sean Raggett but we could do a heck of a lot worse than him if we make the championship. I was quite impressed with him over the two games. He’s maybe not as capable as Dickie with the ball at his feet, something that Dickie has greatly improved on this season, but he’s solid and no nonsense.
Think he’s out of contract but think he’ll be on a big wage and sure other teams will be interested

If Dickie does go I’d go for Aden Flint. Struggling to get games for Cardiff and tons of championship experience with Bristol City. Would be a good mixture with Moore too in terms of age and experience. He’s got a better strike rate than most strikers we’ve signed in the past twenty years too, 40 odd goals in just over 200 games for City is an unreal tally for a centre back.

If we get promotion (don’t tempt fate) we are a championship club, the price goes right up.

Raggett would be a decent signing, him & Dickie both played together at Lincoln as a partnership before RD came to us in Jan 2018.

As for contracts IF we make it to the championship we’ll need Dickie & Brannagan no matter what just to be competitive & give us any chance of staying up, If the club can give them assurances if they sign a new deal & give us a season in championship then they won’t stand in there way going forward if big club come in for them in the future

Raggett would be a decent signing, him & Dickie both played together at Lincoln as a partnership before RD came to us in Jan 2018.

As for contracts IF we make it to the championship we’ll need Dickie & Brannagan no matter what just to be competitive & give us any chance of staying up, If the club can give them assurances if they sign a new deal & give us a season in championship then they won’t stand in there way going forward if big club come in for them in the future

I don't agree at all that our survival would hinge on retaining Dickie and Brannagan. Yes, they’d help strengthen a squad and likely hold down a first team place but there’s plenty of evidence over the past five years or so to suggest that we’d unearth the next Dickie or Brannagan.

If we are in the championship then we are shopping at a different level and all of a sudden we are an attractive proposition to the best defenders in L1 or L2 or even better be seen as a viable stepping stone for some of the PL’s best young prospects.

It depends who would come in for them. Derby, Norwich, maybe Villa etc will turn heads but half of the championship - the likes of Reading, Wigan, Preston, Rotherham, etc - will be no more attractive than staying at Oxford.

I don't agree at all that our survival would hinge on retaining Dickie and Brannagan. Yes, they’d help strengthen a squad and likely hold down a first team place but there’s plenty of evidence over the past five years or so to suggest that we’d unearth the next Dickie or Brannagan.

True, but the ‘next Brannagan and Dickie’ won’t be the Brannagan and Dickie we see today. Both took a good 12 months to really find their feet and establish themselves as arguably our most important players.

Our transfer strategy in recent years has been brilliant but those type of transfers require patience and development time. We’d need Championship ready players to replace them if we go up and they both move on this summer

True, but the ‘next Brannagan and Dickie’ won’t be the Brannagan and Dickie we see today. Both took a good 12 months to really find their feet and establish themselves as arguably our most important players.

Our transfer strategy in recent years has been brilliant but those type of transfers require patience and development time. We’d need Championship ready players to replace them if we go up and they both move on this summer

Yes but you could counter that by saying, as a championship club, we should be able to attract a better player who’s further down the development road. It’s all relative. I’m just saying that we shouldn’t be all doom and gloom if our two current best players moved on. Fosu and Baptiste were arguably our two most gifted players and look what’s happened since we lost them halfway through the season.

Don't mention keeping players and building a "Team/squad" together, i mentioned it once and i never got away with it

The players are allowed to go and get better jobs, so are you. They're not serfs or schoolchildren.

correct they are footballers whom in many cases have seen their careers rebuilt by Oxford United, a club who aspire to reach the Championship and players who will have found their level should they get there....There are already comments in threads where some are shitting themselves that we'll be tonked most weeks should we get there so far better to strengthen than weaken and at least give yourself the best chance possible.

Back
Top Bottom