Sport RIP Doc

RIP Tommy
maybe wrong, think you were managing Wolves when the the U’s beat them and started our climb to the top tier

Two things.

Firstly, that match report above by Bill Meredith is one of the most patronising and ill informed things I've read for a long time. Oxford is not a town, it's a city you idiot. The Manor was not a field in the middle of the countryside. The Man Utd fans most definitely got as good as they gave from us Oxford fans. Oh, and we deservedly won, you total f*****g w****r!

Secondly, I met Tommy Docherty after he had retired and was on the after dinner circuit. We hired him as the compere for one of our sales conferences in the mid nineties. He was a nicer man than I expected him to be, and actually quite humble when speaking privately before and after the event. He came to life when he did his compering though, and you could see that he could work an audience, and I think that was the public persona that most people saw. And he did remember that 1-0 defeat when I mentioned it and said he always found the Manor a difficult place to visit.

RIP.

DViIJKkWsAAwAi8

Man Utd fans ‘tooled up‘ in Osler Road Headington in February 1975

Back
Top Bottom