Ricky Holmes

Weird move to go Gillingham. He may get 3 games. Class player just made of glass much like Rob Hall
He’s near to his home in Essex. so that may have swayed both parties. Providing we stay up, then good luck to him, and hopefully he gets fit as he’s quality

He’s on loan.

He’s being paid a normal wage by Sheffield United.

I would suspect Sheffield United would be paying a big portion of his wages, with Gillingham picking up the rest, just enough so that it would make sense financially. Would be in SU's favour to try and cut what wage they can on an injured player.

I would suspect Sheffield United would be paying a big portion of his wages, with Gillingham picking up the rest, just enough so that it would make sense financially.

For sure. But there will be no “pay as you play” component for the player himself - why would he agree to that?

Payments from Gillingham to Sheffield United, only as he plays? Possibly - but if recouping some wages were that irrelevant to Sheffield Utd - he would’ve just stayed with us (essentially free).

Holmes is certainly a quality player. If his injury clears up I wouldn't mind seeing him return next season.

Signing players injury prone, in their 30s and no resale, all as @MJB says shouldnt be our priority.

Adding to Dickie, Brannagan, Whyte, Sykes, Baptiste should be.

We are in a lucky position re: our proximity to London. Where we have taken players from up north (Rothwell, Lundstram, Ledson) they all eventually move back. I think scouting the midlands and London for talent, released or otherwise in these areas would be the most fruitful for us.

Not for me. Too much of a risk, no resale value and he’s on the way down with his career now. A quality player in his day though and a good character.
I imagine we might sign him in the summer to replace Browne, if he is fit. Not all players need to be young, it’s good to have the odd experienced one

Better to have a fit one. He won't recover and he's not the sort of team player who will bring yoofs on, forget him.

I imagine we might sign him in the summer to replace Browne, if he is fit. Not all players need to be young, it’s good to have the odd experienced one

Would be worried if we did the above.

Holmes' last game in the league for us was 15th December vs Blackpool where we played 10mins...and didnt touch the ball. The last time he played the full 90 for us was at the end of October.

When playing he was one of our most productive, however he played 9 full 90s for us....plus is 32 in June

Much as I liked watching Ricky we have to move forward.
He's got a long standing recurring injury and he's in his thirties. So it doesn't really make sense to give him a contract.

I would love to see a fit Ricky Holmes playing for us next season, I am afraid though, that he really cannot be considered due to his ongoing injury problems.
We have to look to bring in young talented players who will shape the future of our club. I wish him all the best because he was a very talented player, but he couldn’t contribute enough game time to make it worthwhile.

I’d be surprised if he ended up back here, despite being good mates with the manager. Very surprised.

Back
Top Bottom