Retained list

Yeah but you don’t pay them off straight away. Strange that the club haven’t said “and players x,y,z have been told they have no future at the club”. Or is it that if we did we wouldn’t have a team for Saturday
I’m quite surprised at how quickly the retained list has been released. Has one ever been released with a week of the normal football season still to go before? Wonder what the reason for such urgency is..?

Rothwell, Ledson and Eastwood might well move this summer. What realistic fees would be involved, considering the Chairman is not forced to sell?

Rothwell, Ledson and Eastwood might well move this summer. What realistic fees would be involved, considering the Chairman is not forced to sell?
A very rough guess but REALISTIC fees I imagine would be

Ledson £1.6m
Eastwood £800k - unfortunately goalkeepers don’t bring in what they’re worth to a team for some reason..
Rothwell £150k compo. I doubt we’ll be entitled to much

Is that a rumour going round? Find that tough to believe. MApp's had his fingers stung by managing at basket case clubs for most of his career, doubt he'd go to a club that is such a basket case it's going to have a League 1 centre midfielder on 80k a week next year
So sunderland has supposedly got one players yearly wages, approx the same as our entire playing budget..

Telling players that they’re not getting a new contract is a heck of a lot more straightforward than negotiating a settlement with contracted players. I’d hazard a guess that this is only phase one of what’s promising to be a busy summer ahead

You would think so. No mention of the loanees either apart from Gino. Does this mean we're thinking of keeping the two Man City lads? I do hope not. To be honest, I expected a night of the long knives with almost double the amount of players released

4 contracted goalkeepers again. Can't see how Stevens or Agboola are ever to get a first team appearance the way it is going

They'll both get loaned out, does them no good to stagnate on the bench every week, that's what Shearer is there for.

You would think so. No mention of the loanees either apart from Gino. Does this mean we're thinking of keeping the two Man City lads? I do hope not. To be honest, I expected a night of the long knives with almost double the amount of players released

They'll both get loaned out, does them no good to stagnate on the bench every week, that's what Shearer is there for.
I think it’s fair to say the two Man City lads have already been written off. Probably Mowatt too.. wonder if we’ll see him Saturday? I wasn’t impressed with him against Rochdale, good ball retention but little going forward and Henry is set to come back in to the fold.
Good point re: the goalkeepers.

The first wave of releases, none all that surprising. I'm not sure what Sam Long has on someone in the club, don't doubt he's a lovely lad in need of games, but spends too much time injured. Can't afford that with a smaller squad.

Is that a rumour going round? Find that tough to believe. MApp's had his fingers stung by managing at basket case clubs for most of his career, doubt he'd go to a club that is such a basket case it's going to have a League 1 centre midfielder on 80k a week next year
Who earns that much? I thought Rodwell was their highest paid player

Good to see Sam Long given another year, if (and its a big if), he stays clear of injuries, he could be a decent right back, he showed that in the few games he played there and he is taller than Kane.
This is the first tranche of releases, the next will be after they have played their last game versus Blackburn obviously, you don't tell them before.

I’d offload Hemmings, but keep Raglan. One of Faz’s poorer decisions.

Am I the only one who doesn’t rate Charlie Raglan? He was ok last year when called upon. I’ve spoken to a few Vale fans and they’ve said the same. League 2 is probably his level. Decent backup if he’s happy to play that role. Nowhere near a starter in promotion chasing League one team.

I’d offload Hemmings, but keep Raglan. One of Faz’s poorer decisions.

Am I the only one who doesn’t rate Charlie Raglan? He was ok last year when called upon. I’ve spoken to a few Vale fans and they’ve said the same. League 2 is probably his level. Decent backup if he’s happy to play that role. Nowhere near a starter in promotion chasing League one team.

Would think he’s seen as fourth choice behind Nelson, Dickie and Mous. KR also pointed out that he is relatively young still and could therefore develop his game further. He seems to have a strong attachment to the club and a desire to succeed which helps.

No mention of Kelleher there I notice...Raglan and Hemmings return from their loans, surely if he was doing the same he would be mentioned in this part of the press release?

I think I’m with the majority in being fairly happy with the retained/released list. With Xemi, we’ve now released six of Pep’s signings. If that isn’t a ringing endorsement that he was a poor choice for a coach to Borntobeyellow, I don’t know what is.

Most don’t need further discussion but I’d make an exception for Thomas, Long and Roberts. Wes Thomas is far from a bad player but just isn’t robust enough for my liking. He’ll pop up somewhere else and has maybe a couple more seasons in him before I can see him dropping out of the league altogether. If we want to be competitive, we need our main striker to be netting 15+ whereas 15 is the upper limit for a player like him.

Sam Long should consider himself very lucky. Since he signed pro terms in 2012, he has played 26 times for us and had a couple of loan spells. Yes, the injuries mitigate some of that but since he was never challenging for a place when we were a League 2 side, what does he offer a League 1 side whose ambition has increased? Switch off any local attachment or sentiment off with him – would we be as patient with a 23 year old who has yet to make more than 10 appearances in a season if he wasn’t one of our own? I think he’s being kept on as cheap insurance in case we can’t sign Kane.

It’s the right decision to let James Roberts go but he departs with a pang of regret. He was the one thing that made the first half of the 2014-15 season worth watching. Those goals against Grimsby and his firebolt against Plymouth were a joy and I really thought we were on to something. For some reason he disappeared from view that season and then has been barely seen since. Personal troubles and tragedies obviously were part of it, but it’s a disappointment that things haven’t progressed since then.

Back
Top Bottom