Retained list

Interesting calls on Shearer, Raglan and Hemmings (although as others have said, perhaps the return of the two loanees is a formality rather than an indication of their being part of long-term plans). I also suspect there will be more of a cull of the contracted talent to follow as even with the batch of players going the squad is still a little bloated.

In all honesty I don’t know either way on Rothwell. I think his head may have been turned and he’ll go...but could he realistically step up to the Championship and expect to play every week? Neat, tidy and joyful to watch with the ball at his feet as he is, has ever really ran a game, won a match or delivered a truly decisive contribution often enough at League 1 level? Part of me thinks he has more to achieve here if he really wants a proper ‘big move’ and that working under KR, who clearly rates him, might suit him

Having slated him as often as anyone, I hope Wes gets a decent reception if he plays at Blackburn at the weekend. He’s been unendingly frustrating to watch - but his goals earlier in the season have been crucial, and to praise him, since his incredibly lethargic display at Portsmouth (for which he was rightly dropped) he has visibly run himself into the ground for the cause even if he has looked totally toothless. The right decision to let him go, but nonetheless I hope he gets a respectful exit

I hope he doesn't but I think Rothwell will go. It doesn't have to be a Championship club necessarily. Like Dunks, he might be tempted by another League One club is who willing to pay him more. His agent is probably already busy trying to secure the best deal possible. That's modern football unfortunately.

I hope he doesn't but think Rothwell will go. It doesn't have to be a Championship club necessarily. Like Dunks, he might be tempted by another League One club is who willing to pay him more. His agent is probably already busy trying to secure the best deal possible. That's modern football unfortunately.

I think Rothwell will stay unless he’s home sick.

Can't see Mousinho leaving, he's probably on a high wage here.
If MApp ends up at Sunderland, Rothwell will go there, I'd imagine.

No real surprises. Robinson isn’t mucking about. Like the bloke’s energy.

Sam Long has been doing well at Hampton. Will be looking out for their OUFC contingent at their playoff game tomorrow night.

All those players in our bloated 17/18 squad and not a single contracted winger. Wasn’t smart was it ?

I hope he doesn't but think Rothwell will go. It doesn't have to be a Championship club necessarily. Like Dunks, he might be tempted by another League One club is who willing to pay him more. His agent is probably already busy trying to secure the best deal possible. That's modern football unfortunately.

I think Rothwell will stay unless he’s home sick.

PRB thinks he’ll go which doesn’t sound promising

There isn't anyone in that released list that I'd wish to keep.

With regards the retained list, I wouldn't keep Long, however there were some positive signs before he got injured so I am willing to see how it goes. Not at all suprised with Ashby and Roberts, haven't made a dent in the first team in the last few seasons. The rest of them we are well shot of.

Coming in we will see a full back or 2. Centre half we are well cared for. I'd like to keep Rothwell and I am sure now we have offered a contract we can demand a fee as he is under 24.

It's not just a case of getting rid of Obika, he's under contract, and I prefer him to Thomas.

Going to be an exciting summer. I remember Wilder and Appleton making plenty of early signings prior to promotion winning seasons.....

Tiger did say at the Oxvox meeting that they would try to get rid of players still under contract that they didn’t want. I’d expect Obika, Mous and Hemmings etc to come under scrutiny. And in Obika’s case shown where the door is (seeing he struggles to find the net every week)

Telling players that they’re not getting a new contract is a heck of a lot more straightforward than negotiating a settlement with contracted players. I’d hazard a guess that this is only phase one of what’s promising to be a busy summer ahead

4 contracted goalkeepers again. Can't see how Stevens or Agboola are ever to get a first team appearance the way it is going

Telling players that they’re not getting a new contract is a heck of a lot more straightforward than negotiating a settlement with contracted players. I’d hazard a guess that this is only phase one of what’s promising to be a busy summer ahead

Yeah but you don’t pay them off straight away. Strange that the club haven’t said “and players x,y,z have been told they have no future at the club”. Or is it that if we did we wouldn’t have a team for Saturday

Can't see Mousinho leaving, he's probably on a high wage here.
If MApp ends up at Sunderland, Rothwell will go there, I'd imagine.
Is that a rumour going round? Find that tough to believe. MApp's had his fingers stung by managing at basket case clubs for most of his career, doubt he'd go to a club that is such a basket case it's going to have a League 1 centre midfielder on 80k a week next year

EDIT: Apologies, got my facts wrong. Was referring to Jack Rodwell, who was on ~80k a week this year, but he's taking a pay cut to 44k a week for next season (assuming he stays - and why wouldn't he). Either way, absolutely absurd.
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jack-rodwell-finally-take-pay-14520392

Last edited:
Love KR' s no fuss approach. Great that early doors offer made to Rothwell - he just might like to get sorted early. Agree that paying off contracts won't be immediate. Best see how targets and overall budgets pan out first.

4 contracted goalkeepers again. Can't see how Stevens or Agboola are ever to get a first team appearance the way it is going

I have a feeling we'll see them in the Dev team or one moved on. Both highly rated by Wayne Brown, as are Harris and Clayton the younger ones coming through. KR may have other plans.

Is that a rumour going round? Find that tough to believe. MApp's had his fingers stung by managing at basket case clubs for most of his career, doubt he'd go to a club that is such a basket case it's going to have a League 1 centre midfielder on 80k a week next year

Bloody hell - really? They ought to walk league 1 but everyone will raise their game against them.

Offered new deals = offered poor deals ? I’d guess Rici offered a one year deal but will end up at Sunderland on double the wages on a two year contract.
I would think their fans would have higher expectations than one of our cast off's if that was the case on his wages.

At a guess Obika and Mous could be paid off/transfer listed. Buckley Ricketts, Marsh Brown And Mowatt to return to their clubs.

This would leave:
Eastwood
Sherear
Stevens
Agboola

Long
Nelson
Dickie
Raglan
Kelleher
Carroll
Silva

Ledson
Rothwell
Brannagan
Ruffles
Baptiste
Hall
Napa

Henry
Hemmings

I’d loan out Stevens, Agbooola, long, Baptiste, Kelleher, and Napa.

That leaves 14 1st team players.
Seems reasonable, but that means we need in another dozen or so players that's not taking in any more players undoubtedly being sold.

Surprised about Obika tbh

What's surprising? The guy's under contract.

We're committed to paying his wage for another year, unless another club does. Therefore, no value in releasing him when he might yet do something useful, such as pick up the cones after training. Joking aside - he may be put up for sale or loaned out, or stay to compete for a place in the team.

Appreciate this is the same situation as Pekalski, but he's just been told he's free to look for another deal; I'd imagine in the unlikely event that nothing cropped up, he'd be obliged to return to Oxford in order to draw his wage, OR be paid a lump sum and just freed.

Back
Top Bottom