Retained list

Payne went missing at Oxford and ended up on the bench at Bradford.
Going to have to be one hell of a player to replace Henry and very expensive. And a 6/8 game spell when his form dropped off some doesn't mean he isn't still a quality player, especially when that spell coincided with his kid being sick.

I assume you want Eastwood out as well as he has had a few poor games.
I think we have the player to replace him already.... Sykes.

Going to have to be one hell of a player to replace Henry and very expensive. And a 6/8 game spell when his form dropped off some doesn't mean he isn't still a quality player, especially when that spell coincided with his kid being sick.

I assume you want Eastwood out as well as he has had a few poor games.

I’m not saying he must be shipped out at all costs but if a better player becomes available then yes absolutely, we have to keep improving, equally yes we do have to prioritise in certain areas, Eastwood is a great keeper at this level - Chris Wilder is being ruthless to another level, be interesting how that pans out..

There’s a lot of reasons why we improved towards the latter end of the season, and I wouldn’t put it down to Sam Long;

Eastwood
Karl improved on not making mistakes
Jamie Mackie got fitter
Gavin Whyte improved game on game
Skyes
Kashi
Browne got fitter
Nelson improved
Dickie improved
Mousinho held the midfield together
Sinclair gave us a threat up top
Graham have us balance on the left
Brannagan was able to do what he does best
Consistency
Confidence

There’s no doubt Ruffels and Long did a great job and would be great squad players, but I think we need to strengthen in these positions, especially right back. I think you need modern day full backs to be more successful which unfortunately Long & Ruffels are not, but I like their attitudes in terms of them doing a great job when needed and their personalities.

I’d say that retaining Nelson or finding someone as good is imperative. We need to find that elusive 20+ goals per season striker. Find a left winger similar to Whyte, and a right back. We need to retain Kashi and possibly Browne, not sure about Sinclair (think there might be better).

Players I would retain;
Eastwood, Long, Nelson, Dickie, Ruffels, Whyte, Brannagan, Skyes, Mackie (mainly because of his experience on the pitch and what he brings to the dressing room), Stevens, Baptiste, Hanson (improved latter end of season),

Loan players I’d try to keep;
Kashi, Browne, Graham,

Players I’m not sure about;
Mousinho, Henry, Hall, Sinclair, Raglan,

Players I’d release;
McMahon, Obika, Kelleher, Shearer,

Positions I’d focus on if we keep/retain as above; Right back, left wing, 2x strikers
Not sure about James Henry, our top scorer 2 years running from midfield. Sure about that?!

Out of contract are :- rob hall, jon obika, scott shearer, fiacre kelleher, jonte smith, charlie ragland, curtis nelson plus the club has 1 year options on jack stevens and john mousinho .. ....retained list announcement due in next 48 hours

Out of contract are :- rob hall, jon obika, scott shearer, fiacre kelleher, jonte smith, charlie ragland, curtis nelson plus the club has 1 year options on jack stevens and john mousinho .. ....retained list announcement due in next 48 hours

New performance-based one year deal for Hall
Obika, Kelleher, Smith, Raglan released
Shearer released but into backroom
Nelson "rejected a deal" and is released
One year options taken on Stevens and Mousinho
Random youngsters/reserve team x 2 also released

Where's the surprise do we reckon? Mousinho going?

Henry stays, of course, but needs to buck his ideas up...he wouldn't be starting for me come next season based on the end of this one.

Would like to be surprised and have Curtis Nelson sign a new 2 year deal and have an enjoyable future at a club going places.

Can’t see it happening which is very sad.

To be contrarian, one can argue that there are plenty of lanky centre halves who can head the ball and are ok on the ball. We had one in Dunkley and there are plenty out there - and I'm not wishing to diminish Dickie at all. I'd be more than happy than to retain Dickie and Nelson, but not at the cost of using a lot of the budget to do it.

Cheltenham are keen to keep Raglan and he wants to stay. I think that one is probably sorted.

I think Mous will get a player/coach role. KR has hinted Mous wants to get involved in the coaching side of things. I don't see him playing as much next season. It'll be similar to Shearer this last season although Mous has a lot more to offer on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom