Retained list

If, as KR seems to want to, we bring back Kashi, Garbutt & Browne and then Hall signs on reduced terms (but assuming Nelson moves on) then I think we could get by with only the four more signings:

One full back who's capable of being an everyday starter (but will have to compete with Long and/or Ruffels for the right)
One starting CB
Two forwards, one of whom is an out-and-out striker.

In that case, we are relying on Stevens to be ready to be a full season back-up, and Mous/Nico Jones to be providing the CB cover.

If, as KR seems to want to, we bring back Kashi, Garbutt & Browne and then Hall signs on reduced terms (but assuming Nelson moves on) then I think we could get by with only the four more signings:

One full back who's capable of being an everyday starter (but will have to compete with Long and/or Ruffels for the right)
One starting CB
Two forwards, one of whom is an out-and-out striker.

In that case, we are relying on Stevens to be ready to be a full season back-up, and Mous/Nico Jones to be providing the CB cover.
Hmmm.. all sounds good until, possibly, that last paragraph. Nico will be a great player but relying on him as back-up might be a bit too soon if we’re serious about the play-offs. The same with Stevens. If we could get Kashi and Browne on permanents (??) we’ve still got a few loan options to play with. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a keeper come in on a season loan.

Jack Payne and Josh Mceachran both out of contract. Mceachran could be the decent holding midfielder next to Brannagan.

Niall McWilliams confirmed that Rob Dickie has been offered a new contract.

Jack Payne would be a mega signing. One of the best players I've seen in an Oxford shirt.

Some of these released players on mega bucks are going to have to come back to the real world now. There’s usually one reason why they’ve been released and it’s not because they’ve been performing well.

As teams prioritise the collective and each individuals attitude I think there is a question mark over McEachran...but also the money he will be on will be nuts

Payne went missing at Oxford and ended up on the bench at Bradford.
Slightly different types of players but if we do look for another midfielder this summer I’d prefer Forster-Caskey to Payne

I think:

Retained
Eastwood
Stevens
Long
Ruffels
Dickie
Hanson
Brannagan
Baptiste
Sykes
Mousinho
Whyte
Hall
Napa
Henry
Mackie

Released/Returned loans/Sold
Nelson
McMahon
Garbutt
Agboola
Shearer
Raglan
Kelleher
Kashi
Carruthers
Browne
Graham
Dai
Sinclair
Obika
Smith

certainly a core of a decent league 1 team remains...Baptiste returning will be big for us.

Obvious problems in the wide areas, up top, and possibly in defence if (when) Nelson goes. Depending on filling these positions, I would look to upgrade LB/RB however that would be further down the list.

So you don't see us keeping any of the loan players? That would leave us with around 8 players to come in to get a first team squad of first team players to 23.

I'd keep the Henry we had earlier in the season, and not the one we've had recently! I guess only he and the management will know if his personal family issues have affected him or if he is nursing an injury. If he even MIGHT be able to get back to how he was, then he should be kept - on his day he is very effective.

Back
Top Bottom