Retained list

If he meant on top of the current squad then that would be a potential promotion chasing squad.

The question is will the league be as competitive next season or not.
It’ll be interesting to see if Bolton and Ipswich can be competitive next season or if their respective declines will continue. I also think Sunderland will still be with us next season.

Am not ITK, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dickie is off. Not sure I believed the Luton 'illness' story tbh. If he is refusing to sign a contract extension, he will have to go this summer.. he's good enough for one of the bigger L1 teams/squad player for mid table Championship

We'll keep Mackie and Mous.
We'll need a RB, CBx2, STx2. Probably LB cover if Garbutt doesn't return. Plus, it all depends on how many of this seasons loanee's return and if we sell anyone.
Need wingers aswell Whyte will have international games and you cant rely on Hall to be fit every week.

Mackie is contracted for another year and doubtless we will keep him. I enjoy watching his whole-heartedness and workrate. I chuckle at his antics. I wonder if he might be better to try and play a bit more football. I don't think he is a central striker.

I too wouldn't be very surprised if Dickie moves on. It was heavily rumoured that he wanted to do so last time out, and if he doesn't sign a new contract then the club might take the money if it is offered.

If Hall signs a new deal (and I think he will) we need to treat anything he can do as a bonus rather than relying on him (and so I suspect his contract would have a heavy paid-as-you play weighting). I am nervous that he is likely to break down again.

Am not ITK, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dickie is off. Not sure I believed the Luton 'illness' story tbh. If he is refusing to sign a contract extension, he will have to go this summer.. he's good enough for one of the bigger L1 teams/squad player for mid table Championship

I wouldn't read anything into Dickie being sick, other than him actually being ill. Contract discussions would barely have begun, if indeed they have. And I very much doubt they'd be so advanced that he or the club felt it necessary to pull him out of the final game.

I wouldn't read anything into Dickie being sick, other than him actually being ill. Contract discussions would barely have begun, if indeed they have. And I very much doubt they'd be so advanced that he or the club felt it necessary to pull him out of the final game.
Hope you are right- be a shame to lose him....

I think:

Retained
Eastwood
Stevens
Long
Ruffels
Dickie
Hanson
Brannagan
Baptiste
Sykes
Mousinho
Whyte
Hall
Napa
Henry
Mackie

Released/Returned loans/Sold
Nelson
McMahon
Garbutt
Agboola
Shearer
Raglan
Kelleher
Kashi
Carruthers
Browne
Graham
Dai
Sinclair
Obika
Smith

certainly a core of a decent league 1 team remains...Baptiste returning will be big for us.

Obvious problems in the wide areas, up top, and possibly in defence if (when) Nelson goes. Depending on filling these positions, I would look to upgrade LB/RB however that would be further down the list.

I think:

Retained
Eastwood
Stevens
Long
Ruffels
Dickie
Hanson
Brannagan
Baptiste
Sykes
Mousinho
Whyte
Hall
Napa
Henry
Mackie

Nelson
McMahon
Garbutt
Agboola
Shearer
Raglan
Kelleher
Kashi
Carruthers
Browne
Graham
Dai
Sinclair
Obika
Smith

certainly a core of a decent league 1 team remains...Baptiste returning will be big for us.

Obvious problems in the wide areas, up top, and possibly in defence if (when) Nelson goes. Depending on filling these positions, I would look to upgrade LB/RB however that would be further down the list.

As you say priorities are up top & wide as we have lost 3 on that left wing in Graham Browne & Garbutt so definitely need 2 there with right wing covered with Whyte & (hopefully) Hall but I do think we need to improve massively in defence (even with or without Nelson) 64 goals conceded is to many over a season we need a Right Back & 2 Centre backs, Ruffels deserves to be first choice LB next season but we would need cover (maybe a loan player)

Apart from Kashi let’s hope we don’t sign a load of midfielders again as it’s not a position that’s needed

I think:

Retained
Eastwood
Stevens
Long
Ruffels
Dickie
Hanson
Brannagan
Baptiste
Sykes
Mousinho
Whyte
Hall
Napa
Henry
Mackie

Nelson
McMahon
Garbutt
Agboola
Shearer
Raglan
Kelleher
Kashi
Carruthers
Browne
Graham
Dai
Sinclair
Obika
Smith

if it's something like that I don't think we're that far away from a decent squad. midfield looks solid, a striker is essential and from KRs comments throughout the season I can't see him making the mistake of chasing just one.
I hope we don't get over the 5 loans allowed in a matchday squad. seems pointless having to leave 1 out

As you say priorities are up top & wide as we have lost 3 on that left wing in Graham Browne & Garbutt so definitely need 2 there with right wing covered with Whyte & (hopefully) Hall but I do think we need to improve massively in defence (even with or without Nelson) 64 goals conceded is to many over a season we need a Right Back & 2 Centre backs, Ruffels deserves to be first choice LB next season but we would need cover (maybe a loan player)

Apart from Kashi let’s hope we don’t sign a load of midfielders again as it’s not a position that’s needed

Im quite critical of Ruffels/Long, whilst being solid I'm not sure their distribution is strong enough when our clear tactic is to feed the wingers...that being said, they have their strengths and I certainly wouldn't be upset if KR felt they were decent enough going in to the new season. I think there is room to upgrade but we should prioritise CB and the top of the pitch.

One player I would like us to sign...probably on loan is Fred Onyedinma. Had a big start to the season on loan at Wycombe, then returned to Millwall in January and has played 9minutes since at the start of February.

Last edited:
if it's something like that I don't think we're that far away from a decent squad. midfield looks solid, a striker is essential and from KRs comments throughout the season I can't see him making the mistake of chasing just one.
I hope we don't get over the 5 loans allowed in a matchday squad. seems pointless having to leave 1 out

I think we will see a more cohesive summer. KR pretty much nailed January!

I think:

Retained
Eastwood, Stevens
Long, Ruffels, Dickie, Hanson
Brannagan, Baptiste, Mousinho
Sykes, Whyte, Hall, Napa, Henry
Mackie
Probably right as a base, presuming that the option is taken on Stevens, Hall stays and the rest leave.

TEchnically we have McCReadie, Heap, Crooks, Lofthouse and Owen James on pro deals in the U23s + Elechi, Sapsov, Lopes and probably Nico Jones on pro deals in the u18s, but I suspect few of these will feature in the senior set up for the coming season, and even then only in small doses, most likely from the bench, or Checkatrade games.

Retained
Eastwood
Stevens
Long
Ruffels
Dickie
Hanson
Brannagan
Baptiste
Sykes
Mousinho
Whyte
Hall
Napa
Henry
Mackie

Nelson
McMahon
Garbutt
Agboola
Shearer
Raglan
Kelleher
Kashi
Carruthers
Browne
Graham
Dai
Sinclair
Obika
Smith

[/QUOTE]
Agree with the retained list. The only doubts that I have is whether Stevens is seen to be a genuine back up to Eastwood (will his option be taken up) and whether Henry will be offloaded.
Personally I am comfortable with the full backs but from what JR said on the radio he is looking for a right back and Long will cover left back if necessary.
Presumably we will look to try and keep Kashi. Browne, Garbutt and Sinclair.
So 15 in Shosho's retained list meaning that we need what 7 more of which up to 4 could be loanees returning?
I am really hoping that one or two of the younger pros will break through next season much like Baptiste did this season

Back
Top Bottom