General Resumption and next season

mooro

Given the likelihood that this season is soon going to grind to a halt, what will be the best way to get things back in line for next season?

The most obvious first step would be to cancel the Euros to allow domestic seasons to be extended, but what then?

Two ideas I heard this evening are:
1) resume this season in August, then once complete go into next season splitting each division into two 10 or 12 team mini-leagues with playoffs between the top and bottom sides to determine Europe, promotion and relegation;

2) with the world cup already planned for winter 2022, then why not move the Euros to winter 2021, which would leave plenty of time between the resumption of this season and October/November 2021, to get this season done and complete another full one. The following season could then run for the 2021 calender year up to the world cup, with the one after that to get back to the normal routine.

Push everything forward 3 weeks after this weekend. Like a "Late Season Break".

Given the likelihood that this season is soon going to grind to a halt, what will be the best way to get things back in line for next season?

The most obvious first step would be to cancel the Euros to allow domestic seasons to be extended, but what then?

Two ideas I heard this evening are:
1) resume this season in August, then once complete go into next season splitting each division into two 10 or 12 team mini-leagues with playoffs between the top and bottom sides to determine Europe, promotion and relegation;

2) with the world cup already planned for winter 2022, then why not move the Euros to winter 2021, which would leave plenty of time between the resumption of this season and October/November 2021, to get this season done and complete another full one. The following season could then run for the 2021 calender year up to the world cup, with the one after that to get back to the normal routine.

With 1) you have the issue of players contracts running out.

I wouldn't be surprised if games get played behind closed doors and they speed the schedule up (midweek/Saturday etc) where they can. I can see the top 3 getting promoted automatically rather than play offs; as I think if it gets anywhere vaguely near to as bad as it could get, then the clubs will accept this as it would be a bad look to go against it publically.

• React
Reactions: m
Contracts will be abig issue with almost all potential strategies.
Perhaps clubs could be encouraged to offer 3 month extensions to all players ooc to get the season finished once things resume?
Transfer windows Will also have to be flexible.

Well one thing's for sure and that's that there will be plenty of scope for making it up as we go along - something the EFL has shown considerable aptitude for!

Everton's entire first team squad have self-isolated ( just announced on jeremy vine c5)

I don't think splitting things into mini-leagues and mucking about with the structure is a good way to go at all.

But moving the Euros back by a year and completing this season as soon as is deemed safe is much better. I'd add in that there has to be a cut-off date though - given that the government is trying to reduce the 'spike' in cases by elongating this first 'infection' phase, we could still be in the same position in three months time, and there are still nine games to go plus the playoffs (in L1). I guess they could push the start of the next season back a little (say to mid-Sept) and have a month's break before that for transfers, rest etc. Which would mean that this season had to end mid August at the very latest. If we played the last 9 games Saturday-Tuesday that is five weeks. Another week for the playoff semis and another one for the Final. That's seven weeks (and that is ridiculously condensed), which would mean the season would have to restart at the start of July at the very very latest. About 14/15 weeks from now.

Oh and if the cut off date couldn't be met, then current league standings would count (with teams who have played a game more or less having their scores normalised by their average per game), with the top three going up etc.

Just thinking out loud really!

I don't think splitting things into mini-leagues and mucking about with the structure is a good way to go at all.

But moving the Euros back by a year and completing this season as soon as is deemed safe is much better. I'd add in that there has to be a cut-off date though - given that the government is trying to reduce the 'spike' in cases by elongating this first 'infection' phase, we could still be in the same position in three months time, and there are still nine games to go plus the playoffs (in L1). I guess they could push the start of the next season back a little (say to mid-Sept) and have a month's break before that for transfers, rest etc. Which would mean that this season had to end mid August at the very latest. If we played the last 9 games Saturday-Tuesday that is five weeks. Another week for the playoff semis and another one for the Final. That's seven weeks (and that is ridiculously condensed), which would mean the season would have to restart at the start of July at the very very latest. About 14/15 weeks from now.

Oh and if the cut off date couldn't be met, then current league standings would count (with teams who have played a game more or less having their scores normalised by their average per game), with the top three going up etc.

Just thinking out loud really!

i would be inclined to just cancel this Euro's it has no significence in the great scheme of things.

as regards league positions set a date as final games and let promotion and relegation be decided at that point..scrap the play offs and adjust accordingly the relegation places..That way those in the automatic spot get the promotion they deserved

I think you have to at least try to complete the season in the format the teams started it. That may of course end up being impractical - hopefully they will have actually worked out what they are going to do in the various situations as events unfold, rather than making it up as they go along. But I'm not holding my breath (even though that might be a good idea in certain places at the moment!)

I think you have to at least try to complete the season in the format the teams started it. That may of course end up being impractical - hopefully they will have actually worked out what they are going to do in the various situations as events unfold, rather than making it up as they go along. But I'm not holding my breath (even though that might be a good idea in certain places at the moment!)
Have to be honest, making it up as they go along is the most likely scenario. No one know how this is going to pan out.

Have to be honest, making it up as they go along is the most likely scenario.
With the EFL it is! But (hopefully after their meeting next week at the latest), they should be in a position to say 'If the season resumes in early April, we will do X, if the season resumes in early May we will do Y etc and if the season cannot be completed by the end of July then Z is what will happen."

Not that I think there is a snowball's chance that the season will resume in early April!

I reckon if we get another 3/4 week period of no games after this then the football league will declare this season void and we will start again in August (or whenever) with everyone n the same place. The season isn’t going to start again in May (and will we even be in a better place to then?), so their is a good chance that this is it for this season and it was essentially just a load of friendly matches.

Not what I want obviously but I have a feeling that’s what is going to happen.

I reckon if we get another 3/4 week period of no games after this then the football league will declare this season void and we will start again in August (or whenever) with everyone n the same place. The season isn’t going to start again in May (and will we even be in a better place to then?), so their is a good chance that this is it for this season and it was essentially just a load of friendly matches.

Not what I want obviously but I have a feeling that’s what is going to happen.
Have to say I think the same unfortunately.

I reckon if we get another 3/4 week period of no games after this then the football league will declare this season void and we will start again in August (or whenever) with everyone n the same place.
If there is a jammier football club than Bolton Wanderers then I’ve never heard of them.

I think whoever is in the top 4 from league two get promoted the top 3 from our league the top 3 from championship and then whoever is in relegation zones in those league get relegated I mean the season is nearly finished so those teams are obviously the best and worse in the respective leagues otherwise the scousers still won’t win a league and what would happen about bury

Back
Top Bottom